+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Update on my PRP/ACell session with Dr. Cooley - 5 months

I finally took the time to shoot and edit a video to show what I've experienced since I had a PRP w/ACell session with Dr. Jerry Cooley five months ago. The short story is that I consider it a success thus far, especially considering my particular circumstances. Watch the video to learn more.

Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

I have a question about PRP and Acell. Why does it cost thousands of dollars to take my blood and inject it back into my head?

Thanks

+1

I know I was there for 2 hours with 2 nurses.
    I'd say 30 minutes with the greeting women/Guy.
    I "hear" the PRP cartridges are $400.
    Not sure what the spinning blood machine, acell, numbing, needles or other protocol cost. Medical equipment is crazy expensive in the US.

I would say the office is making 10-20%

What are "PRP cartridges"? I've had 2 PRP treatments. Each time they pulled my blood into a Vile and placed it in a centrifuge.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic View Post
    What are "PRP cartridges"? I've had 2 PRP treatments. Each time they pulled my blood into a Vile and placed it in a centrifuge.
    Did you get any results out of the two treatments? anything that would warrant the price. I've seen PRP centrifuge going for as little as $200. Another interesting fact is that PRP started for sports injuries and most sports medicine doctors charge around $800-1,300 dollars. How much did you pay?

Quote Originally Posted by HTsoon View Post
    Did you get any results out of the two treatments? anything that would warrant the price. I've seen PRP centrifuge going for as little as $200. Another interesting fact is that PRP started for sports injuries and most sports medicine doctors charge around $800-1,300 dollars. How much did you pay?
    I paid $1,600 for each treatment. I had the worst shed of my life after the 1st treatment. Peach fuzz grew in some bald spots but most the hair I lost never grew back. The hair that didn't fall out got slightly darker. The 2nd treatment didn't cause a shed. Didn't do anything to improve my hair. All in all, I would've been better off without the so called "treatment". It's a complete con in my opinion.

Hey Joe, do you know who offers this in the UK?

Also, what are costs involved and how often would you need to have the treatment?

...Why does it cost thousands of dollars to take my blood and inject it back into my head?

Thanks
    Hi Vic,

It's actually free, if you do it yourself, except for the cost of a syringe. The cost comes from spinning that blood and separating the components at the proper ratios in a very expensive centrifuge, adding ACell, calcium thrombin, and doing so under the guidance of an expert in the field.

I too would like to know what PRP "cartridges" are.

HTSoon,

Those sports medicine PRP treatments usually require multiple visits over a course of several weeks so you're looking at 3K to 5K once it's all done. It also depends on where you go because a friend of mine had his knee worked on in Thailand and it was cheap at 1200.00. Still, the difference is that once it's done it's done because the goal is healing and reconstruction, not hair growth. When using a centrifuge for PRP you can't (or shouldn't) use a cheap Chinese model from Alibaba. The one that Dr. Cooley uses is highly advanced and he uses it for it's consistency and it's efficiency is separating the various blood components. One critical issue to avoid, and he says this centrifuge helps, is to avoid certain cells from being mixed in with the final mixture and treatment because it causes inflammation, which is bad. I don't recall the exact cellular component but the point is that the separation needs to be absolute, which he feels this particular centrifuge delivers.

Dispare,

No I don't know who offers it but I'm sure a lot of places do. The question would be how effective their treatments are. You'd have to speak with them and be sure you're seeing clear improvements in photos and videos that leave little to the imagination. Meet patients if you can, just like you would with surgery. There are no standards with this but I also would believe that there isn't only one way to do this so other approaches may work, more or less. I think it is safe to expect to pay a couple grand for a PRP procedure from a clinic that has demonstrated results but the frequency of treatments will vary. Dr. Cooley told me it could last a couple of years and he has one patient that didn't need another treatment for three years. It is a lot of money but if one is paying a hundred dollars (or quid) a month for various other treatments then a once every two years treatment would be roughly the same.

I'm not saying everyone should rush out and get a PRP treatment. Quite the opposite, actually. If you're interested, do your research, but this video was meant to update everyone on my own personal experience, just like I've done for the past fifteen years.
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

Quote Originally Posted by Dispare View Post
    Hey Joe, do you know who offers this in the UK?

Also, what are costs involved and how often would you need to have the treatment?
    Hi, DHI Global in London offer this. I had three successful sessions myself!

Tubes/vial

PRP seems like the wild west and the clinic with the best salesman wins or if your like me and say f$$$ it and go with the closest one.

A price breakdown or anot industry protocol would be nice.