+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fue vs Strip

Default Fue vs Strip

I am about to schedule a consultation with Dr. Konior and was trying to figure out the advantages and disadvantages of the two. Also is the recovery time faster with one vs the other and which one is more succesful?

I'm not a doctor, but in the meantime from what I know:

FUE leaves less scarring and is typically essential these days for a natural look at the front. It heals quicker but is more expensive.

Strip is an older method, still often used on the crown because it's cheaper and hidden by the FUE at the front (so natural look is retained).

A doctor will fill in the details and correct me where I'm wrong!

Since my hair line is receding i should try to go with the fue then?

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Fixed by 35 View Post
    I'm not a doctor, but in the meantime from what I know:

FUE leaves less scarring and is typically essential these days for a natural look at the front. It heals quicker but is more expensive.

Strip is an older method, still often used on the crown because it's cheaper and hidden by the FUE at the front (so natural look is retained).

A doctor will fill in the details and correct me where I'm wrong!
    That’s completely incorrect.

FUE and FUT are both methods of extracting follicular units. Fue is a method where the doctor removes one follicle at a time from the back or sides of the head leaving, in many cases, a tiny white scar (1000 grafts=1000tiny scars). FUT uses the strip method where a strip of scalp is removed from the donor area in the back of the head and cut into follicular units under a microscope. In the end the follicles are the same but extracted differently so there is no difference in using FUE or FUT for hairlines except for cost and recovery time.
    FUT is still the most performed type of hair transplant because of it consistent results.

Thanks winston as i see you took the time out to answer another post i had as well. Now my next question is which is more likely to work and have fue ht not worked?

It is often said that with FUE you are less likely to get full yield, meaning that some of the transplanted hairs don't grow, probably due to being damaged during the extraction process. Some FUE doctors have said this themselves so I'm sure there is some truth to it, but it seems to me that of the relatively limited number of cases I've seen (compared to strip), the results, especially from the crop of European FUE doctors, seem to be very successful.

You often hear FUE advocates talking as if the procedure leaves your donor area looking untouched, but I'd caution against this. I think the donor can often look quite ravished and the extraction marks fairly noticeable when the hair is shaved down. Obviously this will depend on the number of grafts taken and the individual's healing characteristics.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

The strip technique is currently the most widely practiced form of hair restoration surgery. It involves the excision of a strip of scalp from the back and sides of the head. This strip is then dissected into smaller units and then further subdivided into individual follicular units under a microscope. Meanwhile, the open wound is closed with sutures or staples.

Despite its prominence, there are several drawbacks to the strip method. Most notably, this method leaves a linear scar in the donor area. It is difficult to predict the width of the scar you will be left with; contributing factors include scalp laxity, the skill of your physician and personal healing characteristics. With a strip scar, you will no longer have the option of wearing your hair short, or shaving your head, without the tell-tale linear scar being visible. Additionally, a strip procedure will cause irreversible changes in the donor area’s hair growth angles so, even with a longer hair cut, people may be able to tell you have had a hair transplant procedure.

The strip method of hair transplantation is a more invasive procedure that involves the use of a scalpel to remove a portion of tissue from the back of your head. Recovery can be uncomfortable with numbness, tightness and/or soreness for up to two weeks. Another drawback of this method is that it results in a scalp reduction in the donor area (as you are excising a portion of the scalp). This reduction in laxity can be uncomfortable, is irreversible and can prevent you from being able to harvest more donor hair if your hair loss persists in the future.

Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) is a method of follicular extraction by which follicular units are removed individually from the donor area. With this technique, there is no need for a linear incision and, therefore, no linear scar. However, as mattj noted, FUE can leave its own type of scarring: immediately following a procedure, the patient will have small (<1mm) scabs where the donor hair was removed. These scabs will normally shed within a week though small red dots may remain. Depending on personal healing characteristics, these dots may remain red for a short period of time, turn lighter or be skin-toned and nearly invisible. However, FUE scars (usually called hypopigmentation) tend to be virtually undetectable due to the surrounding hair remaining (depending on how short hair is kept).

FUE is less invasive than the strip technique, as it does not require a large scalpel incision or sutures. This greatly decreases healing time in the donor region and greatly decreases any post-op discomfort. Patients can resume even strenuous activities the very next day following a procedure.

FUE provides an extended donor region from which your physician can graft from because they are not limited to a single strip of hair. With this method, your surgeon can extract hair from the nape of your neck or even extract body or facial hair. This ability also allows the physician to “cherry-pick” follicular groups which will yield the most optimal and consistent results. I would contend that yield rates for FUE and FUT are very similar (though this obviously depends on the characteristics that vary from patient to patient as well as the skill of the surgeon). FUE is not more likely to damage grafts during the extraction phase and, if anything, FUE transection rates tend to be very low (Dr. Cole's transection rate is consistently under 2 or 3 percent). Another point to note is that strip surgeons average 2 hairs per graft whereas, with the CIT method (Dr. Cole's proprietary method of FUE), Dr. Cole averages 2.9 hairs per graft. This means the patient is getting almost one hair more per graft of value for their money, or about 30% more hair in each graft. This sort of bonus can make the cost difference between strip and FUE negligible.

Regardless of the type of procedure you elect to have, the success of your procedure will ultimately depend on the skill of the surgeon you choose (and their skill in the method you select), and having realistic expectations and a solid long-term plan.

Default Fue v Strip

Edited for retraction

Quote Originally Posted by hair leaving View Post
    Thanks winston as i see you took the time out to answer another post i had as well. Now my next question is which is more likely to work and have fue ht not worked?
    FUE is said to be less consistent on average, but that could be because most doctors claiming to perform it don’t know what they are doing. If you go for FUE go with a surgeon who specializes in them like Dr. Cole. Check with the IAHRS to see who they recommend for FUE. Don't go with a clinic who lets assistants remove all of the grafts. I understand that this is a growing trend. You asked about Dr. Konior, I have only seen his results on this forum, but if he’s in the IAHRS he’s considered to be a top ht doc.

Quote Originally Posted by ebutterg View Post
    One thing these FUE docs and reps tend to leave out is that FUE results in far less total donor availability. So if you know you're going to need more than 3000 grafts in your lifetime, you better go with strip. After 3000, you risk patchiness - or risk extracting outside the safe donor zone. Only Shapiro group concedes that 3000 is probably the safe maximum. Strip on the other hand you have approx 8000 grafts to work with. And it's always better to start with strip then if you have to move on to to FUE because once you start with FUE it makes strip far more difficult. CITGirl and Cole always seem to ignore these very material facts.
    Donor availability is not anymore limited with FUE than it is with FUT. With FUE, you can easily remove 4,500-7,000 and still maintain an acceptable level of coverage in most cases. Sure, if you have a shaved head, you may see areas of hypopigmentation after very large cases but I'm not convinced that this is any worse aesthetically than the strip scar(s) you would be left with after harvesting the same number via FUT. If you have a very large procedure, regardless of extraction method, your donor area will never look as pristine as an 'untouched' region but the cosmetic result, in my opinion, is definitely better with FUE.

Obviously, there's no "one size fits all" hair transplant procedure but I happen to find FUE/CIT to be the superior procedure. FUE/CIT leaves no linear strip scar, is less painful, requires a shorter recovery time, doesn't cause tightness in the scalp and is less invasive. With FUE/CIT, you always have the option to wear your hair short without worrying about the tell-tale strip scar being visible. On the other hand, FUT tends to be cheaper so if your primary concern is getting "more bang for the buck", and you don't plan on wearing your hair short in the future, FUT might be a good option for you.