+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default ~*~My hair loss blog thread.~*~

EDIT: I changed the title. I am going to be blogging in here about my hair loss .

So, here is my story. Finally posting it.

At around 16-17 I had really good looking hair...like it made me look way better than most people with a lot of hair since it fits my head sooo damn well.

But late 17 I started losing a lot at the temples...no big deal still had a ton left. So at 18 and 19 my hair definitely did not look as great as it did anymore but still hair...

Now at 20... geez even the crown area is starting to go......

I really need to act fast. I really do hope that because I am young I can save some of it.

I hate the smirk people give you when they see you are balding...I hate the looks. I hate the "wow dude, lift up your hair let me see where the hairline is?" questions...everything is annoying.

People look at you differently. Balding does not fit my head at all. I would look really really bad. It's already not looking all that great....

I will try to get on propecia as soon as possible...Hope I can get a prescription...I ordered Rogaine online and it will arive in like 2-3 weeks I guess... sucks.

Will propecia or rogaine help me regrow some? Right now I can actually see that my crown area is starting tog et really really visible thin. The top of my head feels really thin too but you can see through yet, only at the back, front is not great either....

Will I get some hair back? I hope so...maybe because I am still young I will...who knows.

Geez

any advice appreciated

My advice is to do the following:

1) Don't bother trying to get a prescription for propecia, unless you're on a private medical insurance policy and can get your doctor to claim it's for your prostate for insurance purposes. You can buy it from Inhouse Pharmacy online, who are fast and reliable. If you have no joy with propecia, get some avodart. Be wary when using avodart though, it can cause some people's hair to shed too much.

2) Whilst you're waiting for the propecia to arrive, get some saw palmetto or beta sitosterol which does a similar job but is just not so effective. It'll have some benefit which is better than none whilst you're waiting.

3) Get a shampoo that does not contain ammonium laurel sulphate or sodium laurel sulphate. Revivogen is good, because the conditioner also thickens up the hair a lot. Most shampoos with hair thickener in them tend to also include 'hair killers,' as I like to call them, so Revivogen was a good find for me.

4) Use Toppik and hair spray. It makes the hair look much much thicker. Remember to use the hair spray or it doesn't tend to last all day. Also, be wary of water as it is not water resistant.

5) Use Minoxidil (Rogaine) by all means, but don't waste it on the frontal hair line because it only works on the crown. The only thing it thickens up when you use it at the front is your eye brows, oddly enough.

6) Be wary of scams, but do not be afraid to experiment. There are scams and then there are things that are really for other forms of alopecia and don't tell you they're specific. Thymuskin is a classic example of this.

Thymuskin is interesting actually. It does work very well on people with alopecia areata (but then apparently so does onion juice). The interesting thing is that it might work if you also stop the cause of your hair loss. I had some results with it myself and I am considering using it again.

Also, you can try Revivogen. Procerin gets some good reviews. Actistem has some provenance, more so than scams in that it has a transparent company (a good sign). Most of the others are out and out scams.

7) Don't get hair transplants until you're financially secure enough to get four. You'll probably need two for the hair loss; possibly three and you might need a corrective procedure if one is bad. Do not risk running out of money after a bad transplant, whatever you do.

8) Watch the news. Things are on the way, even if they are not perfect. One thing I'm particularly interested in is the development of artificial hair implants.

Now, these are dangerous at the moment because there is a 5% risk of infection and higher risks of dermatitis. Cellulitus has been cited - you sure as hell don't want to get that - some people who get cellulitus in their feet lose their leg if they don't catch it soon enough, now when you consider that on the scalp, well, you don't want that.

The problem is that because they are a foreign body, the scalp never properly scars over. The continuing open wounds (not visible to the naked eye) let in bacteria. They also need constant replacement.

However, what is interesting is the work being done at Swinburne University. They are trying to develop artificial hair fibres which are accepted by the scalp and scar over. If they can crack it, I'll forget a hair transplant once and for all. I really like the idea of not only having hair, but having different hair to what I had!

Anything that is artificial or a cover up or a wig or something really puts me off... I want REAL hair.

It wont be much more embarrassing for me to admit to someone I use this stuff.

It's hard for me to find a good shampoo where I live. I live in a third world nation... Getting a good shampoo from overseas is a bit overkill. Do you know any popular brands that I might go shopping for? We have head and shoulders and all the popular stuff here, just never saw anything about hair regrowth really.

Will propecia + rogaine bring back some of my hair? If it doesn't this will really upset me...I really hope that it does.

I will try and read a little bit about saw palmetto and stuff like that. I really doubt they have any effect though.

Thanks for the reply. You made a good point about being financially secure prior to a surgery so that if someone bad happens it can be corrected.

Will I regrow some hair with propecia?

The only answer I can give with regards to Propecia and Rogaine is that they can promote regrowth in some, but not all, cases but you're unlikely to regain all your hair using them. Their effectiveness also wanes over time (although DHT production in the body also wanes over time - result!)

In terms of obtaining shampoo, most of the good ones are by mail order but they last a reasonably long time. They're no harder to get than propecia or rogaine. I buy Revivogen online. Approximately 90% of the shampoos from the major suppliers is full of rubbish you really don't want to put in your hair (I may be corrected, but I have a hunch cheap shampoos make it harder for minoxidil to reach the root of the hair).

Don't completely discount artificial products as a short term solution. I certainly agree I don't want to wear a wig. But toppik just thickens your own hair, it's a great product. Artificial implants could become the thing in the not too distant future, and it will be impossible to tell they're fake because they look and feel just like hair and they're fixed in your scalp.

lol toppik...I dunno man Kinda embarrassing

Will i get SOME of my hair back by using propecia and rogaine?

I am going to try to go to a doctor on Monday...sucks. Sooner the better.

I wonder how effective that saw palmetto stuff is... I can get some really really cheap online but will also take 2-3 weeks to get here.

Is it worth it? Any studies?

Saw palmetto is cheap. I've read it has an effectiveness of about 30% of propecia, although how scientifically that figure was reached I don't know. If it's going to take as long to arrive as propecia, it's not worth it anyway.

It's better to be embarrassed by Toppik (which no one needs to know you're using) than by patchy hair.

Good point lol.

Anyway... If I have a bald spot that is DEVELOPING, you can kinda see its thin in my crown area, and kinda temples are receding a decent amount.

Will propecia help this grow back a bit? Will the crown get fixed and the temples a little better? and overall?

Is there hope? or will i just maintain this crappy hair

If you have not come across this link already read it. Dr Bernstein is one of the most respected doctors in the field of hair restoration. His site is filled with useful information.
    Look at the section on medications.

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/
    Last edited by mlao; 04-01-2010 at 01:40 PM. Reason: wrong link

On the drugs, I think retention would be more realistic than regrowth. Don't count regrowth out altogether though, you might be lucky.

However, if you maintain what you have and can do so for many years to come, then a hair transplant could give you a very full look. Plus it won't cost as much on grafts!

My attitude to hair transplants now is that it is possible to have them reasonably early on, if you're happy to risk a slightly unnatural look later. If I can frame my face, I don't think a big bald patch at the back would really worry me when I'm 40.

I am finally on Regaine(euro version of rogaine).

But it is only 2%... I will go to the doctor this week to get finasteride. I might buy it in the future from http://www.emedoutlet.com if I can't get it cheaper locally. I will probably be able to get 5% minox if I have a prescription for that lol, I know rediculous right.

Seriously though...if I use minoxidil a LOT and very frequantly and also take finasteride...I should see some regrowth right ?