+ Reply to Thread

Default No history of balding yet I think my hair is thinning??

Hi, I am a 28 year old male that is convinced that my hair is thinning. Both of my parents has no history of balding in the family. When I was younger I was convinced that I won't have this problem when I grow older. Now that I am 28, I still do have thick hair however I noticed that the right side of my temples looks way thinner than the left side. When I have a hair cut, some stylist and barbers will say that my crown is thinning which is alarming since I never had this comment when I was young.

I was in the denial stage before but now I am trying to accept that my hair is in fact thinning so I am trying to battle it out by taking Biotin 1000mcg everyday, Nizoral twice a week and a Taurine Hair Spray that a doctor has prescribed. How long before you guys see an effect?

Also why is it that I am experiencing thinning despite having no history of hair loss?? Could this be health related? I did have my thyroids checked and the findings came out normal.

If your thyroid is normal, run a blood test for iron levels as well. Make sure ferritin in particular is above 70. Even if you fall into what doctors refer to as the normal range for men, if it's on the low end it can induce hair loss from telogen effluvium. Because "normal" = not life-threatening.

That said, if it is indeed MPB, you may have caught a recessive gene from one of your great-grandparents or something. If that's the case, I can tell you that Biotin will do nothing other than make your thinning hair grow faster, which you don't want. Your only option is finasteride. If you post pictures we'll be able to make a better judgment.

Click image for larger version

Name:	13692228_1128293957231145_962643360_o.jpg

Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	47867Click image for larger version

Name:	13692163_1128293973897810_562939537_o.jpg

Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	47868Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20160228194320.jpg

Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	47869

Here mate... it feels like there's some kind of thinning at the front. In actual my right side feels a bit thinner than the left side but for some reason the picture looks equal. There seems to be a hole on my crown too however I am not sure if that's normal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	13728402_1128293927231148_1076409458_o.jpg

Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	47870

and this is a mid shot at the front

The crown looks normal, just the forelock area seems to be losing some density. Doesn't look too bad. Definitely check iron levels comprehensively, and if everything is normal, wait a couple months and see if it gets worse. Then it might be time to think about MPB treatments.

I don't think I have any iron deficiency. I almost always have a balance meal(kinda) plus I love to eat meat :P. I did have my bloodwork done around 2 months ago, forgot if there's iron levels in it but everything seems normal. One thing that's out of place though is my testosterone is higher than normal. Not sure if that's a possible culprit. It wasn't the DHT level because apparently the lab doesn't offer that kind of test.

What do you think about Taurine? It was prescribed by my doctor who just had a quick look at my hair. Particularly this one https://www.amazon.com/Seskavel-Anti.../dp/B000684HIM
    She said that it can help make miniaturization of the hair healthy again however I have to spray it regularly and it might take 9 months to see effect. I don't think however she's really 100% sure I am having hair loss. On my first visit, she said no I am not losing hair and just prescribed me Biotin. After a few weeks, On my 2nd visit in which I wasn't really the patient I just went with my sister and took some opportunity to ask a couple of question. She then take a quick look at my hair again and prescribed me that Spray.

I know about Minoxidil and Finasteride but I really do fear of their side effects. If I indeed do have MPB, I think its not the aggressive form (yet?). So as much as possible I hope there are other ways to save or regrow my hair without using them... I was hoping Nizoral and the Taurine spray should do the trick.

Never heard of that Seskavel stuff. I wouldn't put too much stock into it. Your hair does look fine right now, I wouldn't have even noticed that you're thinning. You are noticing it though, so obviously something is up. Can you look at your blood results again? Iron can seem normal but it's deceptive. Ferritin levels under 70 will inhibit hair growth, so even if you're not technically anemic you can have too little iron. Also check you thyroid?

And do you notice shedding, hair on your pillow, on your hands in the shower, etc.? Has it gotten any worse in the past few weeks? Have you experienced most of the loss specifically in the crown and temples?