Do I take Propecia and Rogaine foam together for maximum results?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brody
    • Jul 2016

Do I take Propecia and Rogaine foam together for maximum results?

Hello everyone: Will I have sub-optimal results if I don't take both meds together?
  • Mpbman
    • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Brody
    Hello everyone: Will I have sub-optimal results if I don't take both meds together?
    That's very hard to say.. you could try Propecia only for a year and compare the before/after photos to see how it works for you. Than after that try Rogaine for a year and compare the before/after photos.

Thing is though, rogaine works best on the crown of your head (and not so much on other parts of your hair/head), whereas propecia slows down hairloss allover your hair (in theory at least).

So if you can't wait a year I would just try both medication at the same time.

Comment

• Brody
      • Jul 2016

Originally posted by Mpbman
      That's very hard to say.. you could try Propecia only for a year and compare the before/after photos to see how it works for you. Than after that try Rogaine for a year and compare the before/after photos.

Thing is though, rogaine works best on the crown of your head (and not so much on other parts of your hair/head), whereas propecia slows down hairloss allover your hair (in theory at least).

So if you can't wait a year I would just try both medication at the same time.
      Cheers. What I mean is take it together the same day but hours apart.

Example: Take Rogaine foam in the morning. Take Propecia mid day. Take Rogaine foam in the evening. Is this still as effective as taking it all at once the same minute?

Comment

• dm90
        • Jan 2016

As long as you're taking both daily it won't matter when you take them. I take dutasteride in the morning as a part of my routine because it's convineint. Minoxidil before I go to bed after a shower. Don't complicate it by worrying about such things.

Comment

• Brody
          • Jul 2016

Originally posted by dm90
          As long as you're taking both daily it won't matter when you take them. I take dutasteride in the morning as a part of my routine because it's convineint. Minoxidil before I go to bed after a shower. Don't complicate it by worrying about such things.
          How many hours is Propecia potent after you take it? Can you explain the life cycle of Propecia starting with dissolving to after how many hours is it most potent in the blood stream?

Comment

• dm90
            • Jan 2016

Propecia has an 8 hour half life. It is most potent almost immediately. Finasteride, unlike dutasteride which takes time to build up in the system, produces a very rapid decrease of DHT. After 8 hours half of the medication is remaining but the body takes time to resynthesize the 5 ar enzyme. With daily intake of propecia your dht levels will remain almost the same regardless of when you take it.

Comment

• Dfaru94
              • Jul 2016

It's generally agreed by hair loss experts that Propecia/Finasteride is by far and away the most effective hair loss treatment currently out right now. The majority of men who take it (even those who take nothing else with it) are said to see no further hair loss for at least a few years after commencing treatment, and about 1/3 see some degree of re-thickening.

Rogaine is good as a back-up though, especially if you want to try promoting re-thickening of the crown area (Rogaine doesn't do much for the hairline). I haven't bothered with it personally and probably won't, since my hairline is my main problem area and my crown isn't too bad (in fact it seems to be thickening quite nicely without Rogaine).

To answer your last question, I'm sure in most cases 1mg per day is generally enough to stop the hair loss. Just take it more or less the same time every day to keep your levels of it in your system consistent. Remember it takes a few months to fully kick in and take full effect though, so don't expect it to suddenly start working overnight.

Comment

Working...