+ Reply to Thread

Default New here, hairloss since 14

Hey guys. Quite new here and I'd like to introduce myself as Alex and say I'm 15. Before I start, I want to mention, my father, who is around 54, has a better hairline then most 30 year olds and a tiny bit of thinning on the crown, while my 88 year old grandfather still has a lot of hair. There is no reason why I should have MPB until I am atleast 40 since NOBODY in my family has hair loss, and infact, i've had very thick hair when I was younger.

To start off, I have been dieting since I was 13 and started noticing a receding hairline shortly after that. 14 rolls around and I lose nearly 90 pounds in around 10-11 months. I am by no means anorexic, however I will admit I did not take as many supplements as I should have and ate less then I should have calorie wise. Towards the end, I noticed the hair on my hairline, really only the temples, would not grow and it took me until now to get a blood test and it said I was deficient in Vitamin D and Iron, which according to my dermatologist, will indeed cause hairloss. She decided to supply me with 5,000 MG a day supplements of Iron and Vitamin D as well as 10,000 MG of Biotin.

I also think it's worth mentioning that the back of my hair is very thick, sides are pretty thick too, but the top is very thin and tends to grow slower, is a bit more frizzier, nd gets more split ends. It takes me less then a week to get facial stubble and around 3 weeks to get a pretty decent beard
    TLDR :
    I know 100% my hair didn't fall out because my damage / styling nor because my genetics. The reason I believe my hair fell out was because my lack of vitamin D and Iron. I have hair on my hairline, yet it is very thin and extremely short, mostly baby hairs, and I want to know that if I continue taking these supplements, if it'll grow and get rid of my receding hairline, since I doubt my hair follicles are dead. Maybe some are dead, but there are still some.

Could be telogen effluvium. I've only seen a handful of kids your age lose their hair due to AGA. If it is a vitamin/nutrient deficiency your hair should return to normal after awhile. Chronic TE happens but the condition isn't well understood. Just follow your dermatologists instructions and live healthy. Even if it is genetic theres nothing you can do about it until your 18 anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by dm90 View Post
    Could be telogen effluvium. I've only seen a handful of kids your age lose their hair due to AGA. If it is a vitamin/nutrient deficiency your hair should return to normal after awhile. Chronic TE happens but the condition isn't well understood. Just follow your dermatologists instructions and live healthy. Even if it is genetic theres nothing you can do about it until your 18 anyway.
    Thanks. I was assuming it was telogen effluvium, i just forgot the name. I doubt it is MPB since nobody in my family has it, and my dad when he was 35-40 had a better hairline then me, and tbh, my hairline isn't too bad now.