+ Reply to Thread

Default My generation sucks..

Apparently I have notice that for some odd reason my generation is more prone to hair loss. I've read a lot of forums and articles on some various websites and seen an abundance of suffers ranging form 20-24. Could it be that this generation is affected by some unknown variable? Your thoughts (dont be afraid to tell me that im crazy)

Quote Originally Posted by gusguts View Post
    Apparently I have notice that for some odd reason my generation is more prone to hair loss. I've read a lot of forums and articles on some various websites and seen an abundance of suffers ranging form 20-24. Could it be that this generation is affected by some unknown variable? Your thoughts (dont be afraid to tell me that im crazy)
    Hey Gusguts,

The early onset of male pattern baldness is not a new phenomenon. The only thing that is new in the equation is that the internet has made the world a much smaller place, bringing together people with similar interests, similar attitudes and yes, similar afflictions.

Twenty years ago when I was 23, I one was one of two of my close friends who was dealing with male pattern baldness. By the time I was 27 about 30% of the guys I hung out with were losing it, and by the time I was 35 most of my friends were dealing with hair loss to some degree. At this stage of my life, even the guys who we never thought would lose it are losing it.

In my opinion, the only unknown variable that your generation is affected by is the ability to read and speak with other young hair loss sufferers that you would otherwise never have been able to communicate with.

When reading hair loss message forums, always remember to check the sources before embracing the information as the "gospel." In most cases the information that you read is not entirely accurate and comes from an anonymous source. Message forums can be extremely corrupt places riddled with self serving agenda driven posts. We created this community in the hopes of providing some balance. I sincerely hope that people learn to read between the lines and understand the importance of making truly informed decisions.

Hope this helps!
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

I never really look at it in that perspective SK. The notion that everyone will in some point in there life suffer from hair loss is correct. Unfortunately I'm at that stage at a very young age Nevertheless reading others peoples stories, and communicating with other hair loss sufferers relieves my anxiety, depression, and encourages me to keep looking forward

Quote Originally Posted by gusguts View Post
    I never really look at it in that perspective SK. The notion that everyone will in some point in there life suffer from hair loss is correct. Unfortunately I'm at that stage at a very young age Nevertheless reading others peoples stories, and communicating with other hair loss sufferers relieves my anxiety, depression, and encourages me to keep looking forward
    You're not alone gusguts! We're here to support you.
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

I can relate to your story. Even in this day of the ever shrinking globe I still found myself very alone on this issue. Up until I found SK's site I felt like I was lost on what decision to make on my hairloss.

I had days where I thought I would just suck it up and shave my head. It's hard for me to imagine because I do have extensive scarring on my head. I also had days where I thought I have to do something about this. For me I started with the easiest and cheapest. I switched to Nioxin shampoo, it was easy to do because I shampoo everyday. Next I looked into Bosley about 5 years ago and luckily I didn't decide to go ahead with anything that drastic back then because I'd probably be looking for some touch up work of some kind. I then thought about Propecia and Rogaine. I didn't like the idea of taking a pill every day for the rest of my life. I also didn't feel like putting sticky liquids in my hair every day or twice a day.

Fast forward to today. I finally got to the point where all the negatives; self esteem, career, relationships, etc etc have outweighed the inconvenience of taking a pill everyday and finally deciding on the surgery. I'm 32 years old, single and finally want to do something about it, but it took til now to get pushed, in a sense, to decide on this. I am planning on getting a 4000-5000 unit HT from Dr Hasson in Vancouver, Canada and started taking Propecia 3 months ago, approx.

I really have high hopes that the HT and Propecia will fill in what I want and this stage of my life and the past 5 years, which I could describe as a nightmare will be over.

I really seemed to be affected by going bald, maybe I'm weak or sensitive or something else but I don't want to be and if there's a way to not be, I'm taking that road.

I want to say that I am absolutely a regular guy. I worked in law enforcement, played semi-pro sports and you'd probably never know I was so affected by this, but I am.

If you have any questions or want to comment maybe leave a post on my thread.

I wish you luck with whatever you decide!

I was first informed i was losing my hair at the age of 23 also.
    It wasn`t very noticeable and i just forgot about it until i was 28 ish.

As Spencer says,hairloss at a young age has been around all the time and now we have the internet it is talked about more and therefor seems more common.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
    I was first informed i was losing my hair at the age of 23 also.
    It wasn`t very noticeable and i just forgot about it until i was 28 ish.

As Spencer says,hairloss at a young age has been around all the time and now we have the internet it is talked about more and therefor seems more common.
    I was 23 also, but it does seem like I see more and more young balding men in day to day life. Who knows? At any age it's not fun.