Threaded View

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Ken Anderson, MD, FISHRS, ABHRS's Avatar

Smile Dr. Ken Anderson – Norwood 5 - 1,831 grafts, ARTAS and PRP with ACell – 11 month pics

Heinz Goetzvelvet
    Norwood 5-6

Clinical History:
    Heinz is a 57 year old executive with a commercial real estate firm in Beverly Hills, California. He had been experiencing hair loss for years, and decided to take action in January of 2015. Mr. Goetzvelvet told me that his hair loss made him look and feel old…older than he wanted to look and feel. He said that he watched a video of himself giving a presentation at a conference, and was surprised to see how little hair it appeared he had when on camera. He says he researched hair restoration surgeons for about 8 months online. He narrowed it down to a physician in New York, one in Beverly Hills, and Dr. Anderson in Atlanta, and had consultations with all three surgeons. We had a virtual consultation over the phone, along with an online slide show that we both went through as I explained to him some of the subtleties and nuances of a robotic hair restoration procedure. He felt our clinic was the right “fit” for him, and mentioned that he did not feel pressured or rushed to make a decision, a complaint he had about the other two facilities he contacted. We spent an hour on the phone with Mr. Goetzvelvet in January of 2015, and he traveled to Atlanta to have his ARTAS® with PRP and ACell® procedure with us in June of 2015.

Clinical Decision Making:
    Heinz was realistic about his hair restoration goals. He wanted a bit more hair on top and in the front to improve his looks. He was aware that he did not have enough donor hair to restore his scalp to a full head of hair, and was not concerned about the crown area in the back. We spent time discussing preventive therapy, including Propecia®, Rogaine®, platelet-rich plasma with ACell® (PRP with ACell®) therapy, as well as low level laser therapy (LLLT). He stated he was not interested in doing any preventive therapy.

Mr. Goetzvelvet elected to proceed with an FUE procedure with me, using the ARTAS® Robotic Hair Transplant System. We reviewed the need to trim his hair for the procedure, as well what would be accomplished on the pre-operative day, as well as how his surgery day would go. He was given pre-operative instructions and all of his questions were answered in full.

Surgical Intervention:
    Heinz had one single ARTAS® Robotic Hair Transplant Procedure in June of 2015, performed by Dr. Ken Anderson, MD, at the Anderson Center for Hair in Atlanta, Georgia. We completed his hair restoration with 1,831 grafts placed in the following areas: central bridge, frontal forelock, frontal hairline, and bilateral temporal recessions. He mentioned to my staff more than once how surprised he was at the lack of pain and discomfort. He told me he was expecting the procedure to by much more intense and painful. In addition to the ARTAS® procedure, just like every surgical patient at the Anderson Center for Hair, he also had a platelet-rich plasma (PRP) with ACell® treatment, as well as micro-needling to a depth of 1mm in the recipient area using some of his platelet-poor plasma (PPP) at the time of procedure. The remainder of his PPP was used on the implanted grafts following the procedure. I feel the benefits of a platelet-rich plasma (PRP) with ACell® treatment in conjunction with a hair restoration procedure are so positive for the wound healing that I don’t operate without using PRP unless a patient specifically declines; there is no extra charge for a platelet-rich plasma (PRP) with ACell® treatment with any hair restoration surgery at my center.

Results:
    These pictures were taken 11 months following his ARTAS® FUE procedure in May of 2016. Heinz is very happy with his new hair, and told me that his friends said that he looked much younger, but they could not figure out why he looked younger. He said most people assume he’s been hitting the gym and has lost weight, but that he has actually gained a bit of weight from his procedure. This is an example of how powerful hair is. I have had many patients tell me that after a hair restoration their friends and family tell them they look younger, and “look great”, but they can’t figure out what has changed. We’re all expecting to see hair on top of everyone’s head, and so when it’s replaced in a natural and artistic fashion, people don’t notice the new hair. It looks as though it has always been there, but the patient looks younger and more vibrant, so many times friends and family make other guesses as to why my patient looks more youthful and healthy.

Ken Anderson, MD, FISHRS, ABHRS
    Founder, Director, and Chief of Surgery, Anderson Center for Hair
    Assistant Clinical Professor of Surgery, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
    Board Certified, American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery
    Board Certified, American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
    Board Certified, American Board of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    Fellow, International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery
    Founder and President, American Academy of Hair Restoration Surgery

+1 (404) 256-4247

www.AtlantaHairSurgeon.com
    View my IAHRS Profile