+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Advice of Hair Transplant

Hey guys,

Need a bit of help. I am a 29 year old male been losing hair mainly on the crown for the last 4 years or so that I have noticed. In the last couple of years I have been diffusing thinning/loss throughout. I have been on finasteride and to be honest it seemed to be the trigger for the diffuse. I am currently on Kirkland minoxidil and seem to be going through a massive shed. Scalp I'd very itchy and rough. Hair has also gone very thin. Crown looks awful.

Anyway, I have been seeking to get a hair transplant in Turkey in the next couple of months as it works well for me in between jobs. I know this will be the first of 2 or 3 procedures so I obviously don't want to waste all my grafts on my crown as I know in a couple of years il need to more. I was tempted to hold out longer but the crown is starting to look really bad and everyone is mentioning it. The depression from it is getting very bad!

I have been talking to doctor Maral in Turkey who said he reckons it would take 800-1500 grafts for this area.

Would anyone have any advice/information on what I should do? I don't want to have to wait another 2 years with this severe depression, it's ruining my life!

Please see photos below. Thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg

Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	47413Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg

Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	47412

You could use Topik or Caboki on that part of your crown that's balding. It does wonders.

Thanks for the response Dr. Rashid. My main reason for Turkey is the cost and the experience of FUE surgeons in the area. Around the middle of August I will be travelling from Australia to the UK so I will be heading that direction anyhow. I have also considered travelling the other way through the US, however pricing there seems to be at least double.
    My plan is to hang around for at least a few days after to allow for healing and go for a follow up appointment.
    I believe I probably have a good donor area but obviously I won't know without an examination. I don't want to deplete my donor area as, although hard to see, the rest of my scalp is actually diffuse and I will need numerous grafts for my hairline in the future.
    I am currently looking into other surgeons in Turkey, however I am afraid that 7 weeks is too close to get appointments. Do you reckon I will struggle to organise transplants from other surgeons at such short notice as I believe they are normally booked out well in advance?

Hey MPBMan, I do have toppik, however it takes a lot to provide coverage now and I'm sick of having to put it on everyday.

I dunno...believe me, I understand the pain of hair loss and I am sorry you are upset about it, but I suspect in a few years you will need a lot more than crown coverage if you decide to go for HT. Maybe wait and save your donor for the top and front down the line. You can sink a lot of grafts into the crown and not do yourself much good.

mic28,
    I suggest that if you are going to go to Turkey for your hair transplant you should understand that "surgeons" with experience in FUE are few and far between. Almost none of the doctors in Turkish clinics do the work themselves so you should be aware of this fact if you are counting on a doctor performing your surgery. I would also suggest you stick to IAHRS recognized clinics as a starting point and then let them know ahead of time that you are a member of Bald Truth Talk forum and that you will be documenting your experience, for better or for worse, online. I suggest this tact as it will help to keep things on the level and ensure that what you are promised has the highest probability of being delivered. This applies to whether you are going to Turkey or anywhere else. Also, discuss with the clinic you choose the pattern of extraction that you can expect because whomever performs the extractions should take the donor hair from the widest possible pattern possible. This is to ensure that no single area of your donor is cosmetically less dense than any other area of your donor.

Regarding the scheduling, I think that if you let any clinic know that you are available for last minute openings then they can consider contacting you. Cancellations happen in every clinic.
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

Driver, this is something I have very much thought of. I have so far been given graft numbers of between 800-2000, therefore quite a large range. I certainly believe that 2000 will be too large, with the assumption that I will have to complete the hairline and frontal region down the track.
    My problem is that the hair loss is getting me down so much that I'm not enjoying myself and have to do something about it, even if I means starting to fill the crown partially now. I'm not sure how I'd go another 2 or so years like this.

Joe, I have responded to a couple of the doctors regarding being a member of this forum in the hope that they will perform the procedure themselves. What is your take on have the crown performed on now with the frontal region a couple of years later?

Thanks

Koray Erdogan for fue in Turkey sounds like a no brainer very good prices compared to Canada and Usa

Hi Cheke,

I have emailed Erdogan and waiting on a response, however I have heard he likes to dense pack grafts which I am wary of doing now that I am only looking for a crown procedure.

I see this is your first post? Have you used him before?

Joe, I have responded to a couple of the doctors regarding being a member of this forum in the hope that they will perform the procedure themselves. What is your take on have the crown performed on now with the frontal region a couple of years later?
    I think any hair transplant surgery is a risk so if you decide that you have to have a surgery then try to get a session that will use enough grafts to make you happy but not so many grafts that take 50% of your donor hair for one procedure. The crown is notoriously difficult to gain strong coverage because of the nature of how whorl patterns must be reconstructed. There are some clinics that will treat the crown like the top of the scalp and instead of recreating a whorl pattern they will simply make a slight curve in the distribution without making a true whorl. This allows for less grafts to get strong coverage but you are sacrificing complete naturalness to do this. Regardless, to do the crown first and the front later is fine if you don't use too many in the crown the first round. I've seen many patients with your pattern of loss and it is quite possible that the front will never go but move forward expecting it to.
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors