+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How many grafts do I need?

I've been on and off medication for the last few years, and I've maintaned, but haven't stayed on long enough to get regrowth. Right now I've been on treatments for three months, and I'm making slow progress, but I know I'm not going to get back my hairline with treatments alone. I started losing my hair around 2011, and I have to go back to 2012 to find the last time I had more hair than I do now. I have some vellus hairs coming in near my original hair line on the left side, but I doubt they will amount to much. I want to give it a few more months on treatments to see what I can grow back. Right now I'd like to know about how many grafts I will need for my hairline, assuming I grow nothing else back. I've attached three pictures with a line drawn in the general area of where my hairline should be. The line is six inches long. I hope one of the surgeons here will be kind enough to give me an estimate.

Quote Originally Posted by unbalding View Post
    I've been on and off medication for the last few years, and I've maintaned, but haven't stayed on long enough to get regrowth. Right now I've been on treatments for three months, and I'm making slow progress, but I know I'm not going to get back my hairline with treatments alone. I started losing my hair around 2011, and I have to go back to 2012 to find the last time I had more hair than I do now. I have some vellus hairs coming in near my original hair line on the left side, but I doubt they will amount to much. I want to give it a few more months on treatments to see what I can grow back. Right now I'd like to know about how many grafts I will need for my hairline, assuming I grow nothing else back. I've attached three pictures with a line drawn in the general area of where my hairline should be. The line is six inches long. I hope one of the surgeons here will be kind enough to give me an estimate.

Give treatment a year, you got it early and will likely thicken up. Otherwise your loss is minor, I'd say 1000 grafts.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldingEagle View Post
    Give treatment a year, you got it early and will likely thicken up. Otherwise your loss is minor, I'd say 1000 grafts.
    Nobody is going to lower your hairline that far, every doctor will say no way.

If I keep making progress I will. When regrowth plateaus I really want to be NWO again.

Nobody is going to lower your hairline that far, every doctor will say no way.
    Why is that? I thought the whole point of a HT was to restore your original hairline.

If I keep making progress I will. When regrowth plateaus I really want to be NWO again.

Why is that? I thought the whole point of a HT was to restore your original hairline.
    No hair transplant will restore the density of your original hairline. If you find a doctor out there who would drop you hairline that far you should run! The first and most important requirement of being a transplant canidate is to have reasonable expectations. If you dont, then you should learn to live with what you have and/or shave it. To put your hairline where you have drawn it would be highly risky. You still have some decent native hair. Any reputable HT surgeon would more than likely would outline your current hairline and slightly drop the temples, from there it would be about thickening up your thinning areas. I'm not a doctor but I've learned a few things the hard way. In my opinion reasonable expectations and a conservative approach is the best way forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairbrain View Post
    No hair transplant will restore the density of your original hairline. If you find a doctor out there who would drop you hairline that far you should run! The first and most important requirement of being a transplant canidate is to have reasonable expectations. If you dont, then you should learn to live with what you have and/or shave it. To put your hairline where you have drawn it would be highly risky. You still have some decent native hair. Any reputable HT surgeon would more than likely would outline your current hairline and slightly drop the temples, from there it would be about thickening up your thinning areas. I'm not a doctor but I've learned a few things the hard way. In my opinion reasonable expectations and a conservative approach is the best way forward.
    I should be able to fill in my existing hairline with treatments. You're telling me once I do, no one will drop my hairline another inch? I'm not going to look good no matter what unless I get my hairline down to where my head begins to curve back sharply. Even when my current hair line thickens up, it's going to look pretty stupid when my forehead goes straight up, and then there's a one inch bald spot that's curved back before my hair begins.

I should be able to fill in my existing hairline with treatments. You're telling me once I do, no one will drop my hairline another inch? I'm not going to look good no matter what unless I get my hairline down to where my head begins to curve back sharply. Even when my current hair line thickens up, it's going to look pretty stupid when my forehead goes straight up, and then there's a one inch bald spot that's curved back before my hair begins.
    That's really just tough luck. No doctor will ever lower your hairline an inch.

That's really just tough luck. No doctor will ever lower your hairline an inch.
    I still don't understand why that is? Why will the lower a norwood 4 three inches, but not a norwood 2 one inch? That inch makes a big difference. It takes me from a 10 to about a 7 or 8.

I still don't understand why that is? Why will the lower a norwood 4 three inches, but not a norwood 2 one inch? That inch makes a big difference. It takes me from a 10 to about a 7 or 8.
    Because you're going to lose more hair later, even with Propecia and rogaine. There is no cure for hairloss. So once your hairline is lowered an inch you will lose the hair behind it later and look ridiculous. You'll need all the grafts you have just to keep that hair for more than 25 years.

Also nobody with skin that oily is close to a 10 lol. A 10 is a super model.

Because you're going to lose more hair later, even with Propecia and rogaine. There is no cure for hairloss. So once your hairline is lowered an inch you will lose the hair behind it later and look ridiculous. You'll need all the grafts you have just to keep that hair for more than 25 years.

Also nobody with skin that oily is close to a 10 lol. A 10 is a super model.
    That makes sense. Once replicel comes out that should all change though, right? Assuming it works the way they say it will.

That's from minox. I've never had acne, even when I went through puberty. Before my hair fell out I looked just like Johnny Depp. I never had any problem getting any girl I wanted, regardless of their relationship status.