+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Weird, no shedding, very concerned

I had my procedure 3 months ago. HT 1000 or so FUE to the crown.
    You know how it feels after a couple of weeks of the hT when you gently pass your hand over the recipient area ? The feel of lots of tiny hairs that you have been told, are soon to fall.

They haven't. It has been three months and nothing has changed since my HT. They did not fall they did not grow. Maybe 5% have fallen, but mostly they're there and they're obvious to the touch. The rest of my hair is much much longer.

I am concerned, confused and would really hope to hear your input on this.

Many thanks.

I really hope to hear the opinion of some of the informed people here

thanks

Hi,
    This is an interesting question, i have read a lot about hair transplants but never any info regarding how the shedding should be (just the time when it starts between 2 and 8 weeks postop) to make sure that everything is going on the proper path. As you can see i have also a post regarding the shedding here in this forum and no response, most probably because nobody really knows or likely because this is something that could be different for each of us, like many things in human body.
    Dont be negative, probably these hairs will start growing in some weeks without falling down. It is easier to think they are alive if they didnt fall down although we all know that shedding should happen except in a 5%. You could belong to this small percentage. The next question could be: is this 5% who dont have shedding experiencing growth inmidiatly after surgery or these hairs remain in a resting time without growing and then they start the expected growth.
    As you wrote all this should be response by a proffesional, what did your doctor say?, he should be the first one to be asked...
    Hopefully somebody who really knows more will throw some light to this matter. Sorry i wasnt really able to help more and sorry for my english but its not my native language.
    All the best with your regrowth.

Doctor Representative

Smile Don't worry

Although the hair shafts fall out within 2-4 weeks for most patients, some patients don't lose them at all, just like you. We see this from time to time in our practice and the patient's results are not affected in any way. So relax and nature will take it's course.

Thank you for your answers.

I think gallovador asks the important question I was getting to:

My doctor told me it happens (but doesn't say more), but is it also normal for them to stay the SAME and NOT growing 3 months after ?

Many thanks.

Per Dr. Cole:

This is something that occurs occasionally. The key is to determine if the hairs are growing or simply sitting there resting. If they are not growing, it is best to remove them. Non-growing hairs will not elongate more than a millimeter to two and then nothing more. You should try to remove them because they are irritating to the scalp and can cause pimples to start showing up one to three months after a procedure. Scrub them with soap and a wash cloth and then try to gently remove them. If plucking is necessary to remove them, it's best to leave them alone for now. If you are still concerned, have your physician check it for you to see what’s going on.

What do you mean remove the non-growing hair? If it does not shed and does not grow, does that mean the transplant did not work?

Sorry, didn't mean to scare you with my wording! Please don't be concerned about this...they are likely retained hair fragments that are getting stuck as new hair tries to grow through. It's best to remove them if they will slide out easily or else small pimple-like bumps might form.

Whew!

So if the hairs are just hanging there and haven't shed, how do we remove them...without tweezers...ouch!

Hi, I actually had posted the same question 2 months ago, and just like the thread starter, I was very worried. Now I am into my 7th month after my FUT, and it is only recently that I found them growing.

For my case, I really think that my transplanted hair didn't shed and they just grew from there. Though my doctor said that I probably didn't notice the shedding.

Well, if mine took 7 months to really see progress, I think 3 months is really too short a time to say the HT is not working.