Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HMDWN
    • Nov 2015

Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy

This treatment recently seems to be getting a lot of media/news coverage, at least on my local news stations.
    It's being touted as the "cure for MPB"
    EDIT > > > Local news is doing another segment on it now!
  • HMDWN
    • Nov 2015

And another segment last night...what I don't understand > > > if DHT found in our blood is what causes MPB then how would injecting the blood/plasma under the scalp do anything, doesn't the plasma STILL contain the same DHT causing the problem in the first place???

Comment

• Logan
      • Mar 2016

I guess it is another money making tool for doctors that's why it is getting lot of attention.

Comment

• HMDWN
        • Nov 2015

Thing is, they're calming it as "a cure"!

Comment

• chicagoland
          • Jul 2016

I think it's worth, PRP Therapy has been widely used since the 1990’s to aid in patient recovery after surgery. This emerging biotechnology continues to expand its reach in other areas of medicine, notably in orthopedics, rehabilitative and restorative medicine.

Comment

• HMDWN
            • Nov 2015

Here's what I don't understand and maybe I'm not getting it but > > > if DHT is in your blood and the primary cause of MPB how would injecting the PRP into the scalp do anything, is the DHT no longer present?

Comment

• osmiumgoon
              • Apr 2016

One of my supervisors underwent this treatment from Thailand. Imagine from no hair- it turns out to have a few hairs. Lol

Comment

• chicagoland
                • Jul 2016

PRP is blood plasma that has been collected from the patient’s body and enriched with concentrated platelets infused with a ****tail of bioactive proteins and human growth hormones. That's why it works very effectively.

Comment

• HMDWN
                  • Nov 2015

Originally posted by chicagoland
                  PRP is blood plasma that has been collected from the patient’s body and enriched with concentrated platelets infused with a ****tail of bioactive proteins and human growth hormones. That's why it works very effectively.
                  But again I ask...isn't the DHT still present in the "blood plasma"...and why would you want to inject that back into your scalp?

Comment

• k9gatton
                    • Oct 2016

Originally posted by HMDWN
                    But again I ask...isn't the DHT still present in the "blood plasma"...and why would you want to inject that back into your scalp?
                    That's an interesting question. Here is Gail's response (CEO of Histogen, and a doctor as well). We don't want to test anti DHT. Histogen will last the time of the hair growth cycle, which is usually two to five years.

So in other words, after your hair falls out again, you're screwed. You have to keep getting Histogen injected into your scalp.

Comment

• HMDWN
                      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by k9gatton
                      That's an interesting question. Here is Gail's response (CEO of Histogen, and a doctor as well). We don't want to test anti DHT. Histogen will last the time of the hair growth cycle, which is usually two to five years.

So in other words, after your hair falls out again, you're screwed. You have to keep getting Histogen injected into your scalp.
                      Sadly in my lifetime I don't see a 'cure' (I'm 59) I remember back during my big-hair band days (late 70's-80's) we thought for SURE a cure would be available by the time I was lets say 40.
                      Back then it was some BS Topical in a little eye dropper bottle called Bio Genisis that sold for $27.00 and was an absolute scam. It was in the magazine called "Head Start" and heavily promoted for $$$. There was also (in a Jar) a clear Gel called Biotin-also useless and then there were Pills and shampoos etc also heavily promoted in that Magazine. The entire magazine went belly-up when the Law suites started being filed for making false statements, Lab results etc.
                      While 'some' progress has been made unfortunately (and because of diabolical marketing bs) endless males and females are dishing out countless $$$ and grabbing at hopes and whatever they can.

Comment

• edwin78
                        • Feb 2019

I think PRP should be standard for all hair surgeries.

Comment

• jenn33
                          • Oct 2019

Yes it does, but injected blood is "upgraded"

Comment

• DrQaisarUsmani
                            • Mar 2023

Hello,
                            I am a Board Certified Rheumatologist practising in Hamilton, New Jersey. I have more than 20 years of experience in rheumatology and own a rheumatology clinic in Lakewood and Hamilton, New Jersey. I provide the services of rheumatology consultants, viscosupplementation injections, and plasma-rich*platelet injections. Currently, I am working as a Section Chief, at Arthritis and Osteoarthritis, Monmouth Medical Center, and GPHA, Inc., Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. I am an expert in managing various Rheumatic and Musculoskeletal diseases including Rheumatoid Arthritis, Psoriatic Arthritis, Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE), Osteoarthritis, and Osteoporosis.

Comment

• KaidenLevine
                              • Mar 2023

Have any of you tried PRP therapy? I'd love to hear about your experiences!

Comment

Working...