+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hi Toffee, me again...

I'm 3 days post op after my FUE procedure with Dr Ball and his team - thought you might be interested to know how it went? I'm going to put a longer write up together, but for now...

The short version: I'm blown away by my experience. Dr Ball is meticulous in his work, so much so that at only 3 days out, I'm in a great stage of recovery. Granted this is different for everyone, but the time and attention he and his team put into me on the day was phenomenal. Dr B lets no detail slip, and his team of techs are simply wonderful. Very professional and extremely dedicated to making the whole day a success. I have come away with such a tremendous sense of optimism and can't wait for my results to come through.

Not only did I enjoy the day (impressive given it was an 11 hour procedure near enough), but I honestly felt like they did too. That's the level of craftsmanship that's going on here, the enthusiasm with which they speak and go about about their work, it all adds up to a very tight team that are doing everything they can to get the best possible result.

As an aside, my family and girlfriend were equally blown away by how Dr Ball and the team at Maitland work. And I have to say I agree with them. It's not just with the aesthetics of how well done the job is, but simply with how much time Dr Ball spent planning the whole thing, how much care and time went into the pre-planning, the care and communication before and after - he really is the whole package. Worth every single penny.

I'd definitely encourage you to speak with him if nothing else. He and his team are fantastic.

Hope this is helpful - keep an eye out for my full write up!
    Cheers
    N

Hi guys had a 2007 graft FUE done two days ago at Dr Balls's Portsmouth clinic. A first Class service and I am happy with the result. They have a good post op service and Dr Ball keeps in touch. I had my crown and frontal hairline sorted. At 62 yrs and grey hair this was not a problem. I would recommend Dr Ball who is an easy to talk to and caring man to you. I hope to be able to post some photos on here when I can work out how lol. cheers J

Hi,

I have an appointment booked with Maitland. Just wondering how your results have been and also roughly how much your procedure cost. I also hav an appointment with Harley st hair clinic but cant see a thread for that surgery, their results look good though

Hi guys
    This is about my FUT/scar revision experience with Dr Ball of the Maitland Clinic in London.

A couple of years ago I had an FUT with another Harley street hair clinic. It was my first one and so I had no idea what to expect.

Initially I was fairly satisfied with the results, happy to have filled in the troubled temple areas, but as the hairline grew in I could see there were quite a few issues. Some of the grafts were placed without much care or thought for the natural movements of the hair. Secondly, there weren’t enough single hair grafts in the front hairline to create softness which resulted in a harsh looking hair line, and lastly the scar was bigger than I would have liked.

In regards to the pre-op and post-op care these were minimal. I also found the consultation to be very rushed and I distinctly remember leaving with unanswered questions afterwards.

“So why go with this particular company?” is of course the obvious question.

Those who have gone down this journey themselves will appreciate just how eager one can be to get started and to have the transplant and to have their hair back. The sooner you have the procedure the sooner you have your hair. Right?

Unfortunately though, that expensive new hairline oftentimes comes at a detriment to quality and care. With hindsight I can now see this is a false economy as you will only end up having to sort out any issues later on. Why rush? Trust me there is something worse than thinning hair and that’s a fake looking hairline.

Fortunately for me, I rigorously searched online and was able to set up a consultation with Dr Edward Maitland Ball and David Anderson the senior patient advisor at the Maitland Clinic in London. From the moment we met the experience could not have been more different and I was very quickly cursing myself for not having found them before.

We met in their Harley Street premises and discussed all the options available to me in a very honest and open manner. We settled on doing a scar revision, using some of the available grafts to create a fuller and more natural hairline. Throughout the discussion I never felt I was pushed in any direction or that any sales tactics were being used. Indeed, just as you are assessing them they are doing the same to gauge your eligibility for the procedure, which I think is a healthy relationship to have between client and practitioner.

Dr Ball evidently enjoys his profession and is clearly extremely passionate about his subject. I found his demeanour to be one of calmness and collection which certainly puts one at ease as the experience can understandably be somewhat nerve-racking.

He agreed that the scar was larger than he would have been satisfied with and that the hairline could do with refining. We discussed a plan the involved excising the scar tissue in order to achieve a thinner scar and to provide enough grafts to create a natural looking frontal hairline. We scheduled in a procedure for a couple of weeks later to take place in their Hampshire clinic, a quick car trip out of London.

The day of the procedure itself was a breeze. The clinic is nicely fitted out and feels a world away from the hustle and bustle of London offering a level of discretion that perhaps a central city location isn’t able to do. We spent the first hour or so in conversation and drawing up a new hairline which was very exciting. Dr Ball has a “less is more” approach to creating natural hairlines and this is certainly a view that I align with.

Once we began the only pain I felt were the few initial pin pricks of the local anaesthesia and after that I was able to relax for practically the whole day. I only had about 900 grafts which isn’t a huge amount but Dr Ball took great care in finding and placing the right ones. He used many single hair grafts to create a natural density at the front and even removed some of the old transplanted grafts from the first procedure which he said “gave the game away”. I couldn’t have agreed more. In hairlines, fractional shifts can make huge cosmetic differences.

For the first few days after the procedure I had minimal soreness, no swelling, and no redness. After 5 days you honestly would have no idea I had had anything done. Even the donor incision looked extremely neat which I couldn’t have predicted so early on. My fingers are crossed for a pencil thin scar but whatever happens I’m sure it will be a major improvement on the initial donor scar.

The post-op care package was great and was explained in detail by Jana Shafer, (formally of Shapiro Medical, which shows the calibre of people the clinic has on board). I stuck to it religiously and also tried to eat as healthily as possible for the weeks following which I have no doubt contributed to a faster healing time.

Now I am looking forward to the next year with a renewed confidence and sense of excitement as the hair grows in and the scar becomes almost invisible.

For those of you looking for a professional and talented team in the UK to help you on your hair journey you could do much worse than the Maitland Clinic. Results speak loudest in the world of hair procedures and theirs are second to none.

Quote Originally Posted by guyR1986 View Post
    Hi guys
    This is about my FUT/scar revision experience with Dr Ball of the Maitland Clinic in London.

A couple of years ago I had an FUT with another Harley street hair clinic. It was my first one and so I had no idea what to expect.

Initially I was fairly satisfied with the results, happy to have filled in the troubled temple areas, but as the hairline grew in I could see there were quite a few issues. Some of the grafts were placed without much care or thought for the natural movements of the hair. Secondly, there weren’t enough single hair grafts in the front hairline to create softness which resulted in a harsh looking hair line, and lastly the scar was bigger than I would have liked.

In regards to the pre-op and post-op care these were minimal. I also found the consultation to be very rushed and I distinctly remember leaving with unanswered questions afterwards.

“So why go with this particular company?” is of course the obvious question.

Those who have gone down this journey themselves will appreciate just how eager one can be to get started and to have the transplant and to have their hair back. The sooner you have the procedure the sooner you have your hair. Right?

Unfortunately though, that expensive new hairline oftentimes comes at a detriment to quality and care. With hindsight I can now see this is a false economy as you will only end up having to sort out any issues later on. Why rush? Trust me there is something worse than thinning hair and that’s a fake looking hairline.

Fortunately for me, I rigorously searched online and was able to set up a consultation with Dr Edward Maitland Ball and David Anderson the senior patient advisor at the Maitland Clinic in London. From the moment we met the experience could not have been more different and I was very quickly cursing myself for not having found them before.

We met in their Harley Street premises and discussed all the options available to me in a very honest and open manner. We settled on doing a scar revision, using some of the available grafts to create a fuller and more natural hairline. Throughout the discussion I never felt I was pushed in any direction or that any sales tactics were being used. Indeed, just as you are assessing them they are doing the same to gauge your eligibility for the procedure, which I think is a healthy relationship to have between client and practitioner.

Dr Ball evidently enjoys his profession and is clearly extremely passionate about his subject. I found his demeanour to be one of calmness and collection which certainly puts one at ease as the experience can understandably be somewhat nerve-racking.

He agreed that the scar was larger than he would have been satisfied with and that the hairline could do with refining. We discussed a plan the involved excising the scar tissue in order to achieve a thinner scar and to provide enough grafts to create a natural looking frontal hairline. We scheduled in a procedure for a couple of weeks later to take place in their Hampshire clinic, a quick car trip out of London.

The day of the procedure itself was a breeze. The clinic is nicely fitted out and feels a world away from the hustle and bustle of London offering a level of discretion that perhaps a central city location isn’t able to do. We spent the first hour or so in conversation and drawing up a new hairline which was very exciting. Dr Ball has a “less is more” approach to creating natural hairlines and this is certainly a view that I align with.

Once we began the only pain I felt were the few initial pin pricks of the local anaesthesia and after that I was able to relax for practically the whole day. I only had about 900 grafts which isn’t a huge amount but Dr Ball took great care in finding and placing the right ones. He used many single hair grafts to create a natural density at the front and even removed some of the old transplanted grafts from the first procedure which he said “gave the game away”. I couldn’t have agreed more. In hairlines, fractional shifts can make huge cosmetic differences.

For the first few days after the procedure I had minimal soreness, no swelling, and no redness. After 5 days you honestly would have no idea I had had anything done. Even the donor incision looked extremely neat which I couldn’t have predicted so early on. My fingers are crossed for a pencil thin scar but whatever happens I’m sure it will be a major improvement on the initial donor scar.

The post-op care package was great and was explained in detail by Jana Shafer, (formally of Shapiro Medical, which shows the calibre of people the clinic has on board). I stuck to it religiously and also tried to eat as healthily as possible for the weeks following which I have no doubt contributed to a faster healing time.

Now I am looking forward to the next year with a renewed confidence and sense of excitement as the hair grows in and the scar becomes almost invisible.

For those of you looking for a professional and talented team in the UK to help you on your hair journey you could do much worse than the Maitland Clinic. Results speak loudest in the world of hair procedures and theirs are second to none.
    Who paid you to say all of that?!

Seen Dr Ball's work in person a few times and it's superb. I like his ethics and approach too and he seems like a really nice guy who's great at what he does.
    all opinions expressed are my own based solely on my own experiences and knowledge, i do not work for any clinic/doctor. 2 bad UK ht's and 1 world class ht with SMG.
    my blog www.hairlosstips.co.uk

Default Dr Edward Ball

Quote Originally Posted by KPhope View Post
    Who paid you to say all of that?!
    Hi there. No one paid me to say anything. I just had a good experience and was able to compare my second surgery to my less successful first one and feel it is important to share my positive experience with others. Unfortunately there are a lot of negative comments on forums like these and I admit that it is probably best to err on the side of caution (I wish I had done the first time round) but I do feel it is important to help others find the best surgeons available as there are so many bad ones out there. This forum helped me so why not help others in their hair journeys, after all that is what this site is about am I not right?

Below you can see pics of before, immediately after the FUT procedure and ONE MONTH after.. what is striking is just how small and neat the incision scar is on the back of the head and secondly how much better the hairline looks ALREADY. You will notice how minimal the inflammation is around the scar already which is a sign that it is healing really well. The very bottom last photo is my scar from the first procedure and you can see that is larger than is desirable.

You will also see that the frontal hairline has no redness and no pimples or anything . Admittedly it was a relatively small procedure of around 1000 grafts but I think the results already speak for themselves and I know there is more to come.

So that is why I originally posted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	F291E5AF-97F3-452F-BFA0-13A3FCBAE1E3.jpg

Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	58705   Click image for larger version

Name:	EC5A0A63-C9C3-49BC-AFD5-1CD485903D7D.jpg

Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	58706   Click image for larger version

Name:	2199AFF2-19AA-439D-B0C8-2AE35A54D2C3.jpg

Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	58707   Click image for larger version

Name:	307DB7D4-B895-4D0B-AEA0-150A4DF2557B.jpg

Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	58708   Click image for larger version

Name:	4CF403E0-DA86-4CFF-8C4E-A30340A17A97.jpg

Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	58709   Click image for larger version

Name:	56382431-D7E7-43AB-A325-DC8CD7E3C1D6.jpg

Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	58710   Click image for larger version

Name:	2782F374-7824-4B1A-A696-77F24200A198.jpg

Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	58711   Click image for larger version

Name:	48679A17-0347-4164-A94B-0BE6475D8762.jpg

Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	58712   Click image for larger version

Name:	10769D71-B85D-40E4-A57F-5DA77B098802.jpg

Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	58713   Click image for larger version

Name:	40D5CBCE-8E3E-4675-A503-C55FCBE9FAB7.jpg

Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	58714  

Click image for larger version

Name:	74F60E8A-0888-4513-96A7-FAE0462433EF.jpg

Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	58715   Click image for larger version

Name:	65285ED7-9E35-479F-ABE4-ACD455C49238.jpg

Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	58716  

I have had 2 previous FUT surgeries in the UK which were terrible, with unsatisfactory results and a poor level of care, this from so called "top" clinics.I had almost given up on any further surgery in the UK as it is a minefield of polished salesmen and incompetent and indifferent surgeons.After much research and consultations with all the prominent clinics in the UK I came across Dr Ball at the Maitland Clinic.

Dr Ball from the Maitland Clinic is an exceptional surgeon, i found him to be caring, competent and highly ethical, he has lead his team to have the same ethos and frankly they left no stone unturned to try to achieve the best possible outcome for me.I had a consultation some time ago and Dr Ball was not happy to go ahead due to my poor scalp health and he felt this needed to be treated before surgery could be considered. This was never picked up by any of the previous consultations, which generally involved the surgeons running their hands through my hair and being aloof when asked questions.

Dr Ball used a magnified camera to assess my scalp and likely graft yield and provided a detailed appraisal talking about alternatives to surgery, and strategies to improve my scalp health for optimal results.

I found him to be a very caring and ethical individual who is not financially driven and puts patient’s interest first, it was apparent to me that he wanted the best possible result for me.

His team David and Jana Shafer (clinical director) are exceptional in their field.After the consultation I bombarded David (who is an exceptional patient advisor ) with a barrage of questions and queries which were responded to immediately and without ever making me feel that it was too much trouble.

I had another consultation after measures were taken to improve my scalp health and I had a FUT procedure in july 2019. The whole team were so caring and professional throughout the day. The sectioning of the grafts under microscope is an essential part of the procedure and the technicians were focused and tireless in their work, Jana is a world renowned clinical director. There was no rush in any part of the day and it seemed the focus of the whole team was to achieve the best possible result regardless how long it took. Dr Ball only treats one patient a day and hence i was the full focus of the team.
    In my opinion Dr Ball is a caring, ethical and highly skilled surgeon with a real passion for his profession.

Default great surgeon

I have had 2 previous FUT surgeries in the UK which were terrible, with unsatisfactory results and a poor level of care, this from so called "top" clinics.I had almost given up on any further surgery in the UK as in my opinion it is a minefield of polished financially driven salesmen and incompetent and indifferent surgeons. After much research and consultations with all the prominent clinics in the UK I came across Dr Ball at the Maitland Clinic.

Dr Ball from the Maitland Clinic is an exceptional surgeon, i found him to be caring, competent and highly ethical, he has lead his team to have the same ethos and frankly they left no stone unturned to try to achieve the best possible outcome for me.
    I had a consultation some time ago and Dr Ball was not happy to go ahead due to my poor scalp health and he felt this needed to be treated before surgery could be considered. This was never picked up by any of the previous consultations, which generally involved the surgeons running their hands through my hair and being aloof when asked questions.

Dr Ball used a magnified camera to assess my scalp and likely graft yield and provided a detailed appraisal talking about alternatives to surgery, and strategies to improve my scalp health for optimal results.

I found him to be a very caring and ethical individual who is not financially driven and puts patient’s interest first, it was apparent to me that he wanted the best possible result for me.

His team David Anderson and Jana Shafer (clinical director) are exceptional in their field. After the consultation I bombarded David (who is an exceptional patient advisor ) with a barrage of questions and queries which were responded to immediately and without ever making me feel that it was too much trouble.

I had another consultation after measures were taken to improve my scalp health and I had a FUT procedure in july 2019.
    The whole team were so caring and professional throughout the day. The sectioning of the grafts under microscope is an essential part of the procedure and the technicians were focused and tireless in their work, Jana is a world class clinical director. There was no rush in any part of the day and it seemed the focus of the whole team was to achieve the best possible result regardless how long it took. Dr Ball only treats one patient a day and hence i was the full focus of the team.
    In my opinion Dr Ball is a caring, ethical and highly skilled surgeon with a real passion for his profession.Truly world class.
    Delete