+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Anxiety/Depression and hair loss

Does anybody suffer from anxiety and/or depression here? After speaking to a therapist it seems I have been suffering from anxiety for a good portion of my life. Whenever I become overly anxious my scalp becomes severely inflamed and I lose more hair. My weak areas like hairline thin out even more. My sleep also suffers due to anxiety and I truly believe this combination increases hair loss.

Anyone have experience with meds to help anxiety? My therapist spoke to me about antidepressants and she suggests I get on some soon. I have read hair loss is a common side effect of antidepressants.

Hey man,

Sorry to hear what you're going through.

I think many of us have been there because of our hair. Especially the younger guys.
    I've never personally taken anti depressants but I've had friends that have and it turned a few of them into robots - they seemed very dull. All of them seem to go on and off so I am not sure how much they help.

I always recommend finding ways to handle anxiety naturally. I have chronic insomnia and gets worse when I stress. Which in turn makes me hair worse.

I've been at my best when I follow a schedule. Gym at the same time, consistent with work, keeping my mind busy with friends or family or business. Reading helps.

Next, there is some kind of cheesy stuff but even essential oils, candles, and other remedies that can help a bit without ****ing your hormones up.

Try to regularly see a therapist regularly - talking helps and can help find the root of your anxiety.

Best of luck

Patrick,
    Thanks a lot for your advice bud. You've given me the most sincere answer out of all the replies (I posted the same question on other forums). I agree with you as I'm a bit adamant in terms of taking meds, at least this early on. My therapist basically said she feels like there is a slim chance of someone in my shoes who has been dealing with anxiety so long and so severe to see improvement with just talk therapy. She thinks the best way forward for me is meds in tandem with talk therapy.

I agree, that a good schedule and keeping busy are key.

I think a huge part of my downfall was not only hair loss but being in a toxic work environment for the last 6 years. The amount of stress and overwork I've been through has been detrimental to my mental well being.

Care to share some of your other treatments you use? I think all those little things can make a difference.

I was reading GQ years ago and an article in there taught me something I will carry with me forever: "Every man needs a good tailor, and even better therapist."

I don't tell any of my friends I see one, but it's been a crucial part of my successes in many aspects. It's something I would highly recommend with anyone - nothing to be embarrassed about. If you are open to the idea, even seeing a second therapist may be a good idea. I sometimes find some doctors are quick to dish out medicine. The best thing about them is you can try them out for a bit and if they affect you in a way you don't like - easy to get off them. I am not overly familiar with antidepressants but I don't think there is any long-term effects if you were to get off them.

Are you still working in this environment? Maybe a job switch would be a huge leap forward - I would think your hair may be falling out even faster because of the environment you work in.

After some surgeries, hair loss, opening a business, bad break up and propecia to top it all over, I definitely hit a point where I was very close to taking antidepressants. Also, I have family members who battle with anxiety, high levels of stress, etc.

I tried to correct my mental well-being as naturally as possible because I reacted so badly to propecia - it was certainly the worst decision of my life to go on it so I was pretty against any medication for the time being.

Over the course of my downfall, I fell out of habits that I knew were good for me so I slowly tried to correct it.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, lifestyle changes are crucial.

I took steps towards getting back into working out regularly - even mixing in my favorite sport basketball which I stopped playing for years. I focused on my business more, working extra hours to keep busy (although the stress is high). I pushed many friends away during my downfall, so I've tried to reconnect with a close few for things like golf or drinks. Spend more time with my family again.

I've added in a few natural treatments - nothing too crazy but I find it helps. My hair is a big focal point of my life and since it causes me a lot of stress and anxiety, I knew I had to try and focus on it. I had to accept I was losing my hair, simple as that. I became active in looking and researching different surgeons for when I was finally ready for a hair transplant - knowing I did my research made me stress a little less. I also was recommended by a dermatologist to take pumpkin seed oil pills and put rosemary extract on my head to encourage blood flow. I don't do the extract regularly but whenever I am home for the night and nothing to rush to, I put it in my hair and just let it dry on its on then go to bed.

I can't say for sure if it's helping, but I certainly don't think it has hurt - it may have slowed down some of my hair loss even.

I also have two essential oils - one is a citrus one for any time use that I can dab on my wrist whenever I am feeling stressed. Also, a classic lavender which I try to use before bed. As I mentioned, I have chronic insomnia so I can be go days with 3 or less hours of sleep per night - especially if my anxiety gets bad. I speak from experience, no person should have to lose so much sleep - your mind can take you to horrible places.

I'll cut this long post off but I also want to mention my downfall was not long ago, just over a year ago when I lost my grandfather, whom I was extremely close to. So it has only been about 8 months that I have been trying to correct myself. It's a long process and I am still trying to learn more techniques to help. I chip away at sleeping better, working out better, eating better, and simply living better but I am far from fixing it all.

Personally, and I recommend, exhaust all natural options before choosing meds.

Inactive

Hey man. Patrick has already given you very sound advice/support, and I just wanted to chime in as well.

I never experienced a clinical depression, but did deal with anxiety (specifically in the form of OCD) for 20 years or so before I sought out treatment. I went to a therapist for almost 2 years and it was one of the best things I've ever done. She helped me with my general anxiety/dealing with life/stress/etc. and I went to a specialized OCD Center to deal with that specific aspect of it. We did Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and it's extremely effective and most people see results within a few months.

I had a doctor put me on Prozac for a couple months in college and I hated the way it made me feel. Aside from that, I've never taken any prescription medications for it. If your therapist truly believes it will help you, I am in no place to tell you otherwise. It could be just what you need. However, I do believe that we live in a medicated culture these days and often times people are taking medication that maybe they don't necessarily need. This is something only you can know for yourself and you make the decision that is best for you.

I'm not sure what your spiritual life is like, but that's something that has also helped me tremendously. Whether this be religion, meditation, etc. it can really help with stress/anxiety if used in the right way. Personally, I do meditation exercises from A Course in Miracles and they really help to ground me and keep my mind at peace. This sort of approach isn't for everyone, but it's also something to consider.

Physical activity is also very helpful, from running to lifting weights to hiking to various sports. Whatever you are drawn to that will help get your heart rate up and get your mind focused on something else.

Hoping this is of some sort of help to you. Take what you want and leave what you don't.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick21 View Post
    I was reading GQ years ago and an article in there taught me something I will carry with me forever: "Every man needs a good tailor, and even better therapist."

I don't tell any of my friends I see one, but it's been a crucial part of my successes in many aspects. It's something I would highly recommend with anyone - nothing to be embarrassed about. If you are open to the idea, even seeing a second therapist may be a good idea. I sometimes find some doctors are quick to dish out medicine. The best thing about them is you can try them out for a bit and if they affect you in a way you don't like - easy to get off them. I am not overly familiar with antidepressants but I don't think there is any long-term effects if you were to get off them.

Are you still working in this environment? Maybe a job switch would be a huge leap forward - I would think your hair may be falling out even faster because of the environment you work in.

After some surgeries, hair loss, opening a business, bad break up and propecia to top it all over, I definitely hit a point where I was very close to taking antidepressants. Also, I have family members who battle with anxiety, high levels of stress, etc.

I tried to correct my mental well-being as naturally as possible because I reacted so badly to propecia - it was certainly the worst decision of my life to go on it so I was pretty against any medication for the time being.

Over the course of my downfall, I fell out of habits that I knew were good for me so I slowly tried to correct it.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, lifestyle changes are crucial.

I took steps towards getting back into working out regularly - even mixing in my favorite sport basketball which I stopped playing for years. I focused on my business more, working extra hours to keep busy (although the stress is high). I pushed many friends away during my downfall, so I've tried to reconnect with a close few for things like golf or drinks. Spend more time with my family again.

I've added in a few natural treatments - nothing too crazy but I find it helps. My hair is a big focal point of my life and since it causes me a lot of stress and anxiety, I knew I had to try and focus on it. I had to accept I was losing my hair, simple as that. I became active in looking and researching different surgeons for when I was finally ready for a hair transplant - knowing I did my research made me stress a little less. I also was recommended by a dermatologist to take pumpkin seed oil pills and put rosemary extract on my head to encourage blood flow. I don't do the extract regularly but whenever I am home for the night and nothing to rush to, I put it in my hair and just let it dry on its on then go to bed.

I can't say for sure if it's helping, but I certainly don't think it has hurt - it may have slowed down some of my hair loss even.

I also have two essential oils - one is a citrus one for any time use that I can dab on my wrist whenever I am feeling stressed. Also, a classic lavender which I try to use before bed. As I mentioned, I have chronic insomnia so I can be go days with 3 or less hours of sleep per night - especially if my anxiety gets bad. I speak from experience, no person should have to lose so much sleep - your mind can take you to horrible places.

I'll cut this long post off but I also want to mention my downfall was not long ago, just over a year ago when I lost my grandfather, whom I was extremely close to. So it has only been about 8 months that I have been trying to correct myself. It's a long process and I am still trying to learn more techniques to help. I chip away at sleeping better, working out better, eating better, and simply living better but I am far from fixing it all.

Personally, and I recommend, exhaust all natural options before choosing meds.
    Patrick,
    Again thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I am still working at the same place, I am almost fully convinced I need to quit. I have already kind of made an exit strategy. Almost 6 years of that hellish place is too much to bear. I just have too many bad memories and whenever I step foot there in the morning I feel horrible.

I think we have a couple things in common. I recently had shoulder surgery so I have had to stop physical activity like the gym for quite some time- I truly felt th gym kept me somewhat sane. I also went thru a breakup almost 2 months ago after a long 3 year relationship.

I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. It sounds like you are in the right track. Just keep putting in effort and I'm sure life will get better for you. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by pkipling View Post
    Hey man. Patrick has already given you very sound advice/support, and I just wanted to chime in as well.

I never experienced a clinical depression, but did deal with anxiety (specifically in the form of OCD) for 20 years or so before I sought out treatment. I went to a therapist for almost 2 years and it was one of the best things I've ever done. She helped me with my general anxiety/dealing with life/stress/etc. and I went to a specialized OCD Center to deal with that specific aspect of it. We did Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and it's extremely effective and most people see results within a few months.

I had a doctor put me on Prozac for a couple months in college and I hated the way it made me feel. Aside from that, I've never taken any prescription medications for it. If your therapist truly believes it will help you, I am in no place to tell you otherwise. It could be just what you need. However, I do believe that we live in a medicated culture these days and often times people are taking medication that maybe they don't necessarily need. This is something only you can know for yourself and you make the decision that is best for you.

I'm not sure what your spiritual life is like, but that's something that has also helped me tremendously. Whether this be religion, meditation, etc. it can really help with stress/anxiety if used in the right way. Personally, I do meditation exercises from A Course in Miracles and they really help to ground me and keep my mind at peace. This sort of approach isn't for everyone, but it's also something to consider.

Physical activity is also very helpful, from running to lifting weights to hiking to various sports. Whatever you are drawn to that will help get your heart rate up and get your mind focused on something else.

Hoping this is of some sort of help to you. Take what you want and leave what you don't.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.
    Hi pkipling,
    Thank you for responding. You and Patrick's advice have been nothing short of solid. I think you hit some solid points. I think you brought up something very important regarding spiritual life. Some of the most happy people I know are deeply involved in things like their religion. I think I need to focus on those things in life. I have already booked an appointment with a therapist as you have suggested. Again, I appreciate your input and wish you the best.

If you do start on meds look to decreasing them while taking up the slack with natural remedies because there are always "side effects" with meds either short or long term effects

Quote Originally Posted by BBay View Post
    If you do start on meds look to decreasing them while taking up the slack with natural remedies because there are always "side effects" with meds either short or long term effects
    Hi bbay,
    What type of natural remedies do you suggest? Do you have first hand experience with antidepressants? From my understanding I was told I may have a chemical imbalance which requires the meds. Thanks for your help.

Ok first off have you had your chemical levels checked to find the baseline? Once you have this start on the what the doctor recommends for you to take, after awhile and if you are feeling "ok" get them checked again. If you are not feeeling like you want to be introduce fulvic acid into your liquid drinks , get a good quality one, fulvic is the mineral accelerator for charging up the cells and multiplying the effect of the drugs you are consuming. Introduce only one substitute (mineral, vitamin, herbal remedy) at a time so you can monitor the effect of each one. Try St John's Wort it works for some people and had an ok effect for me. All the best but get on to it early. Of course cut down on the booze and other things that alter moods.