18 y/o - RU58841 or Finasteride? - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    2

    Default 18 y/o - RU58841 or Finasteride?

    Hi,
    I turn 19 later this year and have been using minoxidil for 1 year now. I really need an antiandrogen though, as I want to maintain the amount of hair that I have right now. In general I have been an "early bloomer", with a little bit of chest hair right now and a full beard.

    I was wondering on your opinions of whether I should use finasteride or RU58841? The way I see it:

    Fin:
    Pros
    - FDA approved
    - Just a pill
    - Studies show that it can maintain for a LONG time

    Cons
    - Side effects! Especially considering my young age?

    RU:
    Pros
    - Considered "safe", with few(er) sides, especially since it's topical

    Cons:
    - Slightly more time consuming to apply
    - No studies, neither on safety or long term maintenance

    Any help is appreciated!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    109

    Default

    I'm 24 now and was in your shoes at 19 years old as well. I tried fin for around a year when I was 19 -20 and tried RU for over a year from 22-24. I will say that both of these two gave me side effects. In all honesty I wouldn't reccomend you using either and trying your best to accept hair loss. Obviously that is way easier said than done and I know how important physical appearance is at this point in life. So, that being said, my next best advice would be to try fin first.

    I know it's got all these horror stories of sides that don't go away but I think as a male at your age the chances of doing permanent damage are almost nothing. I did get sides and eventually decided it was too much but after quitting they eventually went away. Fin definitely decreased my sex drive, I was rarely getting erections, and I think I was mildly depressed. I tried lowering the dosage but even very small doses affected me. If you do try with fin, I definitely reccomend staring at a lower (1/4 or so) dose for a while (3-4 months) before you decide to increase dosage. Side effects can really take a while before they become evident. Also, expect some degree of shedding.

    As far as RU, i do not recommend it. It was actually very effective for me, my shedding stopped almost completely and I even regrew a little around the hairline. The reason I don't recommend it though is because it gave me side effects that took many many months to go away. I used it for almost 6 months before I realized I hadn't had an erection in atleast a few weeks and wasn't really thinking much about sex. They kinda just slowly continued to get worse and worse until my libido was almost gone and I wasn't getting erections at all. Again, I tried tapering down in dosage but eventually felt it necessary to quit. The biggest reason I would say No to RU is mostly because I now know it does indeed cause side effects hence it does enter the blood(to what degree per person I can't say) and it is not FDA approved so it is unsure what long term effects are of it entering your system. I think RU is a much more potent anti androgen than what is claimed.

    In summary, it is in everyone of our best interests to accept this hair loss thing until a real cure exists. However, as I myself have not yet reached that point, your best bet would be trying to go low dose fin for a while, a few months at least, and see if there are any sides. Also; when you go on and off fin, it can really screw with your shedding cycle, so going low dose helps minimize withdraw shedding if you decide not to continue. Also, very important, use Ketokonazole shampoo

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lucrio View Post
    I'm 24 now and was in your shoes at 19 years old as well. I tried fin for around a year when I was 19 -20 and tried RU for over a year from 22-24. I will say that both of these two gave me side effects. In all honesty I wouldn't reccomend you using either and trying your best to accept hair loss. Obviously that is way easier said than done and I know how important physical appearance is at this point in life. So, that being said, my next best advice would be to try fin first.

    I know it's got all these horror stories of sides that don't go away but I think as a male at your age the chances of doing permanent damage are almost nothing. I did get sides and eventually decided it was too much but after quitting they eventually went away. Fin definitely decreased my sex drive, I was rarely getting erections, and I think I was mildly depressed. I tried lowering the dosage but even very small doses affected me. If you do try with fin, I definitely reccomend staring at a lower (1/4 or so) dose for a while (3-4 months) before you decide to increase dosage. Side effects can really take a while before they become evident. Also, expect some degree of shedding.

    As far as RU, i do not recommend it. It was actually very effective for me, my shedding stopped almost completely and I even regrew a little around the hairline. The reason I don't recommend it though is because it gave me side effects that took many many months to go away. I used it for almost 6 months before I realized I hadn't had an erection in atleast a few weeks and wasn't really thinking much about sex. They kinda just slowly continued to get worse and worse until my libido was almost gone and I wasn't getting erections at all. Again, I tried tapering down in dosage but eventually felt it necessary to quit. The biggest reason I would say No to RU is mostly because I now know it does indeed cause side effects hence it does enter the blood(to what degree per person I can't say) and it is not FDA approved so it is unsure what long term effects are of it entering your system. I think RU is a much more potent anti androgen than what is claimed.

    In summary, it is in everyone of our best interests to accept this hair loss thing until a real cure exists. However, as I myself have not yet reached that point, your best bet would be trying to go low dose fin for a while, a few months at least, and see if there are any sides. Also; when you go on and off fin, it can really screw with your shedding cycle, so going low dose helps minimize withdraw shedding if you decide not to continue. Also, very important, use Ketokonazole shampoo
    Lol **** you. If he accepts hairs loss his teenage years and life are basically OVER. Take ****ing dut + ru58841 + nizoral and minoxidil or you will ****ing regret it i guarantee you that 10000%

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex23 View Post
    Lol **** you. If he accepts hairs loss his teenage years and life are basically OVER. Take ****ing dut + ru58841 + nizoral and minoxidil or you will ****ing regret it i guarantee you that 10000%
    Unless taking DUT and RU effectively chemically castrates him. then he will have a full head of hair and a limp dick. At that point he would rather be bald and get it up. No one knows what RU will do to you long term. At least propecia has long term user's. Its also been effective for most men. DUT at least has some studies and was approved for something by the FDA. RU has no real evidence except a few people online. For all we know RU could cause testicular cancer in %80 of men using it for 5 years.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pajason View Post
    Unless taking DUT and RU effectively chemically castrates him. then he will have a full head of hair and a limp dick. At that point he would rather be bald and get it up. No one knows what RU will do to you long term. At least propecia has long term user's. Its also been effective for most men. DUT at least has some studies and was approved for something by the FDA. RU has no real evidence except a few people online. For all we know RU could cause testicular cancer in %80 of men using it for 5 years.
    Yeah no... I'm on ru + dut and have 0 side effects I'm 198lbs 6%bodyfat bodybuilder and i fck 2 a day every day

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex23 View Post
    Yeah no... I'm on ru + dut and have 0 side effects I'm 198lbs 6%bodyfat bodybuilder and i fck 2 a day every day
    Point I am making is you don't know if RU will make your dick fall off in 3 years. There literally is no real long term research. If you are taking it you are being a guinea pig. Most evidence says it does go systemic. And the original maker of the drug stopped pursuing it for some reason. DUT is a bit different as there are relevant studies saying what it does and it has at least been on the market for what 10 years?

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pajason View Post
    Point I am making is you don't know if RU will make your dick fall off in 3 years. There literally is no real long term research. If you are taking it you are being a guinea pig. Most evidence says it does go systemic. And the original maker of the drug stopped pursuing it for some reason. DUT is a bit different as there are relevant studies saying what it does and it has at least been on the market for what 10 years?
    Would rather be a gunea pig then bald bruh. And it can't take my d*k if i have 0 sides now i won't in 5 years. That's how hormones work. If it supposed to block my androgens systematically it would have done it buy now.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    104

    Default

    Finasteride hands down. RU is a research chemical that has shown to potentially be effective androgen related conditions. It's true that we are unsure of long term effects of RU, but also whos to say its all that effective? The studies indicate it may not compete with DHT enough for long term results. Finasteride is proven to be extremely effective at providing long term hairloss cessation. Dutasteride is the closest thing we have to a cure, but without a natural model for type 1 deficiency you are taking it with some risks. Personally I take dutasteride, ru, and minoxidil because i'm obsessive and my hair is very important to me. Alex23 language may be brash but he proposes a good point that many of us share. Perhaps you can come to term with it for 2 years, but what if in 3 years you regret not taking action? Placing your bets on a future "cure" is to much of a gamble. Despite alot of frustration with the current state of treatments, these medications are very powerful and you don't have to go bald.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dm90 View Post
    Finasteride hands down. RU is a research chemical that has shown to potentially be effective androgen related conditions. It's true that we are unsure of long term effects of RU, but also whos to say its all that effective? The studies indicate it may not compete with DHT enough for long term results. Finasteride is proven to be extremely effective at providing long term hairloss cessation. Dutasteride is the closest thing we have to a cure, but without a natural model for type 1 deficiency you are taking it with some risks. Personally I take dutasteride, ru, and minoxidil because i'm obsessive and my hair is very important to me. Alex23 language may be brash but he proposes a good point that many of us share. Perhaps you can come to term with it for 2 years, but what if in 3 years you regret not taking action? Placing your bets on a future "cure" is to much of a gamble. Despite alot of frustration with the current state of treatments, these medications are very powerful and you don't have to go bald.
    Brah how long are you on dut and ru any regrowth? I can't take mimox cause of severe side effects i uncounted. I'm a fitness model and it basically destroyed my face it took me a year to get back to normal. I'm 2 months on dut and 1 month of ru i basically stopped all hair loss and I'm on testosterone 500mg. Always I'm going to finish my cycle in a month and stay natty for a while i have minor diffuse thinning when hair is wet. Did you regrow your hair bro? All my hair loss is 8 months -1 year "old"

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    104

    Default

    Ive been on dutasteride for probably closing in on 4 months and ru on and off for 2 months, ive done it everyday consistently for 4 weeks. I have a usb microscope and i monitor spots, and i've already noticed dormant hairs emerging from units where they werent there before. I should mention i was on finasteride since 18, i'm closing in on 27 now and it slowed down like 80% of it, but I only got around 60% reduction from it. Dutasteride has broght my dht levels much lower. RIght now i have 5ng/dl dht which about that of a 10 year old boy. i think on fin i was like 25-30. Sorry to ramble, to answer your question, the anti androgens alone started reversing my hairloss without the minoxidil. THis was hair that miniaturized years ago. I would agree to hold off an anymore cycles for the time being and give your hair time to "repair itself". The key is just being consistent, RU+DUT makes it impossible to continue to lose hair, but follicles that have been miniaturized need a few cycles in an androgen deprived environment if theyre going to repair themselves. If youre hairloss is that early theres a good chance youll get back most of it. Worst case scenario, you keep that hair forever.

Similar Threads

  1. RU58841 Progress
    By SE19 in forum Hair Loss Treatments
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-24-2017, 02:50 PM
  2. Ru58841
    By Samiam in forum Hair Loss Treatments
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-24-2017, 06:53 AM
  3. Do you recommend RU58841?
    By secrethero89 in forum Hair Loss Treatments
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-06-2016, 02:59 AM
  4. ru58841 and steroids
    By bobby713 in forum Hair Loss Treatments
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-18-2016, 02:01 PM
  5. RU58841 shedding?
    By cp9 in forum Hair Loss Treatments
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-04-2013, 06:23 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

Stem cell / PRP treatments
06-01-2019 12:01 PM
Last Post By gauravkhare123
Today 02:47 AM
FUT or FUE and Recommended Clinics?
05-02-2019 02:36 PM
Last Post By Hairlineman
Yesterday 08:26 PM
Joe Tillman FUE Update @ 5.5 Weeks
08-15-2019 02:13 PM
Last Post By JoeTillman
Yesterday 11:06 AM
Telegon Effluvium/Shock loss after small hairline transplant
08-20-2019 04:11 PM
by Lee1987
Last Post By Lee1987
Yesterday 10:47 AM
2 year update need advice
08-17-2019 06:07 AM
Last Post By JoeTillman
Yesterday 10:44 AM