+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Topical Finasteride in the UK

I recently spoke to the UK GP I use Dr Steven Edgar for my Finasteride prescription as I was due one. He intends to start providing prescriptions in the UK for topical Finasteride which is of use possibly to UK patients interested in using it.

He is a reliable option to obtain both oral and topical Finasteride in the UK. Also I must add he has been kind enough to provide me telephone support a number of times which has been incredibly helpful.

I wanted to share this here as I read about so many UK guys struggling to find a legitimate source to use. I highly recommend him if you require an informed opinion and help with a prescription.

You can email him on: DrStevengedgar@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by chrisdav View Post
    I recently spoke to the UK GP I use Dr Steven Edgar for my Finasteride prescription as I was due one. He intends to start providing prescriptions in the UK for topical Finasteride which is of use possibly to UK patients interested in using it.

He is a reliable option to obtain both oral and topical Finasteride in the UK. Also I must add he has been kind enough to provide me telephone support a number of times which has been incredibly helpful.

I wanted to share this here as I read about so many UK guys struggling to find a legitimate source to use. I highly recommend him if you require an informed opinion and help with a prescription.

You can email him on: DrStevengedgar@gmail.com

How are you finding the topical FIN? I have just ordered some from the Italian pharmacy that make it for Hasson and Wong. I have a 0.25% concentration coming as I have never used fin before and am hoping it won't give me any nasty side effects.

I've not used it as I'm happy on the oral medication but my brother intends to start using it.

Dr Edgar in the UK is providing my brother a prescription which he is then sending to the pharmacy in Italy. They will produce the prescription and send it to him directly.

There is a cost for the private prescription from Dr Edgar and then a separate cost for the topical 2.5% Finasteride gel from the pharmacy who can provide 1-6 months supply at a time at a cost of 50 Euros a month supply + PP.

I believe after speaking to Dr Edgar that topical is not going to replace the oral medication but an option for guys who are more susceptible to the possible side effects. I've not experienced any side effects from the oral tablet so no need for me to change to topical but I know this option even if not as effective will be of great interest to people unable to take the oral medication.

How did you decide your concentration level? Isn't the Hasson and Wong gel always at 0.1% finasteride ? Does your dr has to write down the concentration he thinks is the best for you?
    I live in France and want to have a prescription made to the Italian pharmacy as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bran View Post
    How did you decide your concentration level? Isn't the Hasson and Wong gel always at 0.1% finasteride ? Does your dr has to write down the concentration he thinks is the best for you?
    I live in France and want to have a prescription made to the Italian pharmacy as well.
    Hi, yes the doctor said that at the scalp it is more efficient at working something like 80%+ compared to oral which is only around 70%, so he said it may be better to start with less to gauge side effects etc. If it appears to slow my hair loss then I will stick with it depending on symptoms, but if not then I will move on to a stronger solution. I believe it only needs to be applied two to three times a week, and studies have shown that actually taking 1mg can be spread over a much longer time than a day with the same successful results.

I believe the 2.5% is the most common strength but I would guess it can be made up depending on the prescription given by the Dr writing it, so I would have thought you could ask the Dr.

I know Dr Edgar only prescribes to UK patients.

Thank you guys, I just made two appointments with hair restoration doctors and I'll ask them for a prescription.
    I wrote to the Italian company that sent me a ready made prescription so my doctor just has to fill it and send it to them.
    I'll probably first go for a 1% Finasteride solution and will keep you informed on this thread.

Does anyone know what concentrations reduce systemic DHT and by what levels?

Anyone? I could do with some more info on this...like how much it reduces blood DHT by (for the different strengths)...also what the overall costs are if someone were to use it a few times per week...

Is this the gel format which was worked on by Hasson and Wong and supposedly stops the fin going systemic?

Someone mentioned that their Dr didn't believe it would replace oral fin. Is that because it is less effective?

I am also UK based.

Would crushing standard fin tables and putting them into standard minox not do a similar job? Although I have no idea what dose I would end up with