Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrisdav
    • Oct 2011

Topical Finasteride in the UK

I recently spoke to the UK GP I use Dr Steven Edgar for my Finasteride prescription as I was due one. He intends to start providing prescriptions in the UK for topical Finasteride which is of use possibly to UK patients interested in using it.

He is a reliable option to obtain both oral and topical Finasteride in the UK. Also I must add he has been kind enough to provide me telephone support a number of times which has been incredibly helpful.

I wanted to share this here as I read about so many UK guys struggling to find a legitimate source to use. I highly recommend him if you require an informed opinion and help with a prescription.

You can email him on: DrStevengedgar@gmail.com
  • Bobbylobbyhobbythrobby
    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by chrisdav
    I recently spoke to the UK GP I use Dr Steven Edgar for my Finasteride prescription as I was due one. He intends to start providing prescriptions in the UK for topical Finasteride which is of use possibly to UK patients interested in using it.

He is a reliable option to obtain both oral and topical Finasteride in the UK. Also I must add he has been kind enough to provide me telephone support a number of times which has been incredibly helpful.

I wanted to share this here as I read about so many UK guys struggling to find a legitimate source to use. I highly recommend him if you require an informed opinion and help with a prescription.

You can email him on: DrStevengedgar@gmail.com

How are you finding the topical FIN? I have just ordered some from the Italian pharmacy that make it for Hasson and Wong. I have a 0.25% concentration coming as I have never used fin before and am hoping it won't give me any nasty side effects.

Comment

• chrisdav
      • Oct 2011

I've not used it as I'm happy on the oral medication but my brother intends to start using it.

Dr Edgar in the UK is providing my brother a prescription which he is then sending to the pharmacy in Italy. They will produce the prescription and send it to him directly.

There is a cost for the private prescription from Dr Edgar and then a separate cost for the topical 2.5% Finasteride gel from the pharmacy who can provide 1-6 months supply at a time at a cost of 50 Euros a month supply + PP.

I believe after speaking to Dr Edgar that topical is not going to replace the oral medication but an option for guys who are more susceptible to the possible side effects. I've not experienced any side effects from the oral tablet so no need for me to change to topical but I know this option even if not as effective will be of great interest to people unable to take the oral medication.

Comment

• Bran
        • Mar 2016

How did you decide your concentration level? Isn't the Hasson and Wong gel always at 0.1% finasteride ? Does your dr has to write down the concentration he thinks is the best for you?
        I live in France and want to have a prescription made to the Italian pharmacy as well.

Comment

• Bobbylobbyhobbythrobby
          • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Bran
          How did you decide your concentration level? Isn't the Hasson and Wong gel always at 0.1% finasteride ? Does your dr has to write down the concentration he thinks is the best for you?
          I live in France and want to have a prescription made to the Italian pharmacy as well.
          Hi, yes the doctor said that at the scalp it is more efficient at working something like 80%+ compared to oral which is only around 70%, so he said it may be better to start with less to gauge side effects etc. If it appears to slow my hair loss then I will stick with it depending on symptoms, but if not then I will move on to a stronger solution. I believe it only needs to be applied two to three times a week, and studies have shown that actually taking 1mg can be spread over a much longer time than a day with the same successful results.

Comment

• chrisdav
            • Oct 2011

I believe the 2.5% is the most common strength but I would guess it can be made up depending on the prescription given by the Dr writing it, so I would have thought you could ask the Dr.

I know Dr Edgar only prescribes to UK patients.

Comment

• Bran
              • Mar 2016

Thank you guys, I just made two appointments with hair restoration doctors and I'll ask them for a prescription.
              I wrote to the Italian company that sent me a ready made prescription so my doctor just has to fill it and send it to them.
              I'll probably first go for a 1% Finasteride solution and will keep you informed on this thread.

Comment

• ez456
                • Apr 2016

Does anyone know what concentrations reduce systemic DHT and by what levels?

Comment

• ez456
                  • Apr 2016

Anyone? I could do with some more info on this...like how much it reduces blood DHT by (for the different strengths)...also what the overall costs are if someone were to use it a few times per week...

Is this the gel format which was worked on by Hasson and Wong and supposedly stops the fin going systemic?

Someone mentioned that their Dr didn't believe it would replace oral fin. Is that because it is less effective?

I am also UK based.

Comment

• nobel victim
                    • Mar 2011

Would crushing standard fin tables and putting them into standard minox not do a similar job? Although I have no idea what dose I would end up with

Comment

• williamsj006135
                      • Oct 2018

Does anyone have any information as to how long it takes Dr Edgar to reply?

Sent him an email a couple of days ago and have yet to get a response

Cheers

Comment

• Spex
                        Dr Representative
                        • Nov 2008

Hi there,

Dr Edgar doesnt supply topical finasteride now and there used to be Dr Kash in the UK who did but has also stopped. I do not know the reason why.

Regards
                        Spex
                        Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Comment

• JohnK
                          • Nov 2018

Yeh why doesn’t spex answer these questions, ive sent him emails about finding a UK doctor who can help prescribe and no response in months.
                          Also OP, i too live near where you live and i’d like to talk to you via pm but i dont know how to that on here. In that case i was going to ask now that all known Uk doctors aren’t prescribing anymore, how do you get your prescription, also is your brother still getting his topical finasteride? As really thats what im trying to find myself but all i cam find on the internet is topical finasteride with minoxidil but i dont want to use minox just yet.

Comment

• Spex
                            Dr Representative
                            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Jazz1
                            Hey Spex there any other doctors in the U.K. that prescribe topical finesteride?

To anyone looking for topical formulation I currently use a clinic in America Murray Avenue apothecary.
                            Sorry man I don’t ! I’ll be sure to let you know if I do.

Regards
                            Spex

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Comment

• Spex
                              Dr Representative
                              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by JohnK
                              Yeh why doesn’t spex answer these questions, ive sent him emails about finding a UK doctor who can help prescribe and no response in months.
                              Also OP, i too live near where you live and i’d like to talk to you via pm but i dont know how to that on here. In that case i was going to ask now that all known Uk doctors aren’t prescribing anymore, how do you get your prescription, also is your brother still getting his topical finasteride? As really thats what im trying to find myself but all i cam find on the internet is topical finasteride with minoxidil but i dont want to use minox just yet.

Easy tiger ! I’ve not receive any email from you dude. Possibly in my spam but answer is above as I do my very best to reply to all emails.

Best
                              Spex

Comment

Working...