+ Reply to Thread

Default First post on this forum

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. English is not my native language so i'm sorry for the incorrect grammar. I'm in my late twenties and a couple of months ago my hairdresser found a bald spot in January. I always had a full head of (long) hair and didn't know I had MPB. I was devastated and had a very difficult time to cope with it. After a couple of weeks I decided to start with finasteride (1 mg a day) in February. In the last months my hair was progressively getting worse. At first it wasn't that noticable but now I'm slick bald on my vertex. I'm on 2.5 months of finasteride and I'm shedding like hell. Maybe my view is distorted because I'm very worried but I did take photos. The first photo: January and the other is from a week ago. I know it's very different lightning but in January I wasn't slick bald in those areas.

I know it's very early to know if finasteride will work for me. I think there are some new hairs in the hairline, but maybe they are just miniturazed hairs.

On my mother side nearly all the guys are NW6 at a young age. So I think my MPB is very agressive.

What do you guys think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	January.jpg

Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	46658   Click image for larger version

Name:	May.jpg

Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	46659  

Were you diagnosed by a physician with male patter baldness, or did you just purchase your medication online?

I was diagnosed by a physician, he described the medication

Why are you taking finasteride? You dont even have MPB, it looks to me as if you are suffering from a form of alopecia not caused by male hormones... get off finasteride and consult a freaking doctor - this is how people end up screwing their lives up, they use the internet as their doctor and medicate themselves.

You are blocking your androgens and upsetting your entire endocrine system - God help you if your system crashes when you come off fin because even 7 years on from taking finasteride I still have a ruined sex life... you wont recover if you crash, believe me.

SEE A DOCTOR!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse Now View Post
    Bullshit - there's no way a doctor would have diagnosed what you have as MPB - its not even in the PATTERN of male PATTERN baldness - it's an auto immune form of alopecia and your doctor is a complete arse-idiot for prescribing you finasteride like they're sweets.

That's good! It is possible for Propecia to induce a shed for some people, but in many cases hair loss will eventually stabilize. Sorry that you are going through this.

Thanks for the responses, why do you think it's not MPB? I know it's not a pattern but sometimes it doesn't have a pattern right?

Thanks for the responses, why do you think it's not MPB? I know it's not a pattern but sometimes it doesn't have a pattern right?
    That's true. I just wanted to ask since it appears that areas of your scalp have progressed to slick bald in a very short period of time. MPB usually presents itself more slowly, even if you are going through an aggressive shed. Everyone is different though and it is possible that the first photo did not show the full extent of things.

Maybe I was thinning a long time without noticing it because i have long hair. I was shocked by the post of UK but I think my physician is right. Is it normal to shed on finasteride? I know it's a very popular question on this forum. There is no scientific evidence? I was shocked the MBP was so agressive, very difficult to cope with. But if finasteride will save the hair i have left it will be a success.