+ Reply to Thread

Default Touching recipient area one month after surgery - Any risk to final result?

Hi everyone,

Is it problematic to touch the recipient area three weeks to a month after a hair transplant?

I have several areas in the recipient zone that I keep touching because they itch, and now I'm worried that they are looking thinner than the rest. I assume this is because of the shedding phase, but am not sure. Could touching the recipient area three weeks to a month after surgery negatively affect the final results? Or is the instruction to avoid touching this area only to make sure that the grafts do not get dislodged in the first days after surgery?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by FUEPatient View Post
    Hi everyone,

Is it problematic to touch the recipient area three weeks to a month after a hair transplant?

I have several areas in the recipient zone that I keep touching because they itch, and now I'm worried that they are looking thinner than the rest. I assume this is because of the shedding phase, but am not sure. Could touching the recipient area three weeks to a month after surgery negatively affect the final results? Or is the instruction to avoid touching this area only to make sure that the grafts do not get dislodged in the first days after surgery?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    You're fine. Touching the recipient scalp at this point is very safe. In fact, it is safe about a week after surgery but always contact your clinic to clarify as different clinics will have different post-op requirements. At this point your scalp will look thinner regardless of whether you've been touching your scalp or not because the hair shafts transplanted are shedding temporarily.
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

Quote Originally Posted by JoeTillman View Post
    You're fine. Touching the recipient scalp at this point is very safe. In fact, it is safe about a week after surgery but always contact your clinic to clarify as different clinics will have different post-op requirements. At this point your scalp will look thinner regardless of whether you've been touching your scalp or not because the hair shafts transplanted are shedding temporarily.
    Dear Joe, Thank you very much for the quick reply! Is there anything that could damage the final result, if the grafts are already securely in place?

This is my first hair transplant and it was done by a world-class surgeon. I'm just trying to avoid damaging the final result and am concerned that by stroking the itchy areas repeatedly I may have caused a form of Traction Alopecia. Is there any importance to how the scalp or hair is treated at 3 weeks post-op, or is the only real concern dislodging the grafts that were implanted?

From what my surgeon told me, the main concern was that the grafts be secured in place during the first 10 days, and that they would bleed extensively if they became dislodged (which thankfully did not happen).

From your experience, is there anything else that can negatively affect the final results? I keep worrying that touching or washing the transplanted area (vertex) may in some way negatively affect the final outcome.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!