+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: PRP At home

Just did my 1st DIY PRP hair treatment. I drew my own blood into two 8.5ml vacutainers, centrifuged twice and injected it into my scalp. The first 6 attempts failed (needle fell out, missed the vein, didn't mix anticoagolent properly, etc...). I still have to workout some of the problems like the syringe to use to inject into scalp. The syringe I used was the same one that diabetics use, purchased from CVS. Filling the syringe didn't work well. I think I need a luerlock syringe with a large bore needle to fill the syringe, and then a small bore needle to inject.

Quote Originally Posted by DougS View Post
    Just did my 1st DIY PRP hair treatment. I drew my own blood into two 8.5ml vacutainers, centrifuged twice and injected it into my scalp. The first 6 attempts failed (needle fell out, missed the vein, didn't mix anticoagolent properly, etc...). I still have to workout some of the problems like the syringe to use to inject into scalp. The syringe I used was the same one that diabetics use, purchased from CVS. Filling the syringe didn't work well. I think I need a luerlock syringe with a large bore needle to fill the syringe, and then a small bore needle to inject.

centrifuged the 8.5ml's twice?

what syringe and needle did you use to inject? how do you transfer prp into it?

I used the vacutainers found here (https://www.pulmolab.com/product_inf...RoCv7MQAvD_BwE). I filled 2 of them. Did a low rpm centrifuge, pipette out the yellow PPP and buffy coat into another tube, and then centrifuged that a second time on high RPMs. I used a hypodermic syringe with a 31G needle. I did it again today and it worked. I had to fill the syringe from the top instead of pulling it up through the needle.

I did my 2nd PRP today and I learned a couple of things. After the 1st centrifuge, when pipetting out the PPP (the yellow), its a good idea to also pipette up the top most red blood cells. That way you are sure to get all the platelets (Platelets only make up 1%). And after the 2nd centrifuge, and after you discard the top 2/3rds of the yellow PPP, its a good idea to pipette out the remainder, but leave the bottom most red blood cells. Red blood cells can cause inflamation.

Hi guys

Just a quick question regarding choosing the right tube for optimal platelet count

I have stumbled across this comparative study listed here. It is a VERY interesting read:

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/sci/2016/7414036/

Particularly the parts in the "Results" section that read:

"Blood samples collected with EDTA yielded higher numbers of platelets, followed by SC and ACD. In average, platelet counting in SC was 16.28% lower than that in EDTA, while that in ACD was 23.01% lower than in EDTA and 7.94% lower than in SC"

This would indicate that EDTA (Purple) tubes would be the best as some people have mentioned

HOWEVER!!! It goes on to read:

"However, platelet recovery, regarding the total number of platelets obtained after the first centrifugation step, was higher in the presence of SC compared to EDTA and ACD. The average of platelet recovery in EDTA and SC was 76.15% and 81.21%, respectively. Strikingly, platelet recovery in samples collected with ACD was 45.71%, almost half of those when using EDTA or SC"

THIS would suggest, that at the point of effectively using the PRP, Sodium Citrate (Light Blue) tubes would yield the optimal results

Or is it not just the platelet count that is at play with PRP treatment? Would it even make a real world difference?

I would love to know, what are your thoughts and experiences with this?

For a list of tube types, what they do and they're colour, see here:

https://bitesizebio.com/23701/choosi...lection-tubes/

Thanks very much in advance

I am not medical professional. I rely on the research I find in PubMed. I just found this article that came out in 2019 which compared EDTA, sodium citrate, and acid citrate dextrose-A (ACD-A). The link to the study is at the bottom. Here is their conclusion:

"Within the limits of this study, we would like to conclude that ACD-A vials should be used for collecting and processing blood for PRP preparation to obtain best results in hair rejuvenation."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30533986
    Last edited by DougS; 02-26-2019 at 09:40 PM. Reason: A word was left out

Default PRP injection

I have done 2 PRP injections on my husbands head, but they have been very painful. I’m using a 31 gauge 2 mm needle. Ive used 4% topical lidocaine, but really didn’t numb him that good. Any suggestions on maybe an injectable lidocaine?

I don't use any pain medication. I found this article about the Impact of local anaesthetics (link below). Its says not to use Lidocaine. You might be going too deep and hitting muscle. My understanding is that Injections need to go to the dermis or hypodermis layer which are above the muscle. This is the studies conclusion...

"This study evidenced that use of local anaesthetics to prevent pain during PRP injections may compromise the potentially beneficial of PRP effects by reducing platelets reactivity. Accordingly, we suggest using carefully local anaesthetics or limiting their use as often as possible. In addition, since the different needle sizes and calibres tested for PRP injections were shown to have no influence on platelet functionality, we recommend using 30 G needles to minimize injection pain"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4049644/[/url]

I found this pubmed article that says they should be "Intradermal injections" "to a depth of 1.5–2.5 mm". This info can be found at the link below under their "Suggested Treatment Protocol" header

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5806173/
    Last edited by DougS; 02-28-2019 at 12:31 PM. Reason: misspellling

OK, thanks for the info!