+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Don't Have Children

The thought of having children has bothered me for quite some time. Some people may think me extreme; indeed, I'm happy to admit I have a greater aversion to my baldness than most. However, I hate the idea of re-introducing my baldness gene into future generations.

As far as I'm concerned, having children might make me happy when they're young. However, the reality is that if I have a son I will have created a life that will be miserable from about the age of 19 until they die. If I have a daughter, I will have simply delayed the misery until I have a grandson.

I will not be bringing a happy being into the world. I'll be bringing in a life for my own enjoyment as a parent until they hit 19 where a life of misery awaits. Who would want to do that? I wish my parents had had this conversation before they had me.

Just think. Bring a son into the world. In 19 years time, he'll be staring in a mirror with nothing but a life of ridicule, discrimination and prejudice to look forward to.

The only cure against the curse of baldness is to refuse to pass it on.

WTF???

This is got to be the most ridicolous post i have ever read!!

Not everyone takes to baldness the way some of us forum readers do. Many people dnt care and lead happy lifes being bald

Put all that to one side, do you not think there will be a proper cure in 19 years. Most of us are expecting something in the next 5-10 years otherwise anyone who has had a procedure under the age of 30 like me is pretty much ****ed in the future

seriously mate, were you drunk when writing this post?

No, I've held this view for the seven years that I have been losing hair. Baldness is unattractive and thank god it is because it prevents me from passing on my crappy genes to another generation.

oh god!! how old are you mate?

also a lot of people think the mothers genes have a lot to do with deciding if your going to bald or not

so dnt you think they will have found a solution in the next 10 years?

Are you considering a hair transplant?

Sounds like a troll to me.

Calling someone a troll is not helpful or kind perhaps some empathy or positives support might be better.

I don't believe that this is a genuine person, that's what I meant.

Are you serious, first of all my dad has a full head of hair and is 68. I on the otherhand do not. I believe it has more to do with your moms side of the family so unless the young lady has a history of baldness on her side you should be okay. But honestly to say your bald and all your kids will be is a little dramatic.

Default Do not have children

I agree with the first poster. My life changed drastically at 19 for the worse and now at 45 the scars of baldness remain. I would never ever put a child on earth and have to face life as a bald man who is discriminated against, poked fun at and miserable. NO person is happy being bald and do not believe that it is no big deal. I have never felt the same since 1984 and most likely never will. I think every person who is bald is sick psychologically to some degree. Some worse than others. Baldness needs a cure not a pat on the back that it is no big deal. It is!

I really wish I was a troll but unfortunately I'm actually a 27 year old drugged up to the eyeballs on dutasteride and revivogen after 7 years of trying to keep my hair with limited success. I've also recently realised I must have been the unlucky one to get the crap gene; neither of my brothers are remotely bald yet.

Neither of my grandfathers lost any hair until they were in their 50s. No doubts where my hair loss comes from though; my grandma on my father's side. My mother's grandma comes from a family with no history of hair loss whatsoever for generations. Perhaps then the odds of me suffering androgenetic alopecia were small but the bastard gene still got through. There's also little difference between whether it comes from the father or the mother.

My father started losing hair at about the same age as me, as did his brother. The only hope I hold is that some thirty years later, he's probably only a Norwood V (with less lost on the crown than is typical) which at least means a transplant should be successful and long lasting. Then again, his brother is a definite VI going on VII. I get the impression that my father hates it; he has never shaved his head.

I think that for me to have children would be to allow the bastard gene to continue. I have the opportunity to kill it and if I can do nothing else to stop this horrible gene, I can at least make sure no one else has to deal with it. I am in a war with this gene and if I can't beat it, I'll sure as hell make sure it can't beat me either. It's a fight to the death and as long as I don't pass it on I'll win in the end, no matter how small the victory and no matter the cost.

I think it would be incredibly selfish of me to have a child. For all the pretence, baldness is disfiguring, ugly and leads to prejudice and discrimination. Quite why anyone would want to be responsible for creating a living being, when they already know before it is even conceived that it will have a second rate life, are highly likely to be depressed and will almost certainly suffer is beyond me. I find it morally reprehensible.

The statistics back me up. Anyone who tries to claim bald men can lead are happy life are lying. Bald men typically earn less, are more likely to be single and recent studies show 26% of balding men find it severely distressing and a further 60% find it moderately distressing. I believe the other 14% are just too embarrassed to admit the misery it is causing. Bald men will all experience mockery for their condition and will be excluded from careers in entertainment, politics and, to a lesser extent, business management.

I know from personal experience that the day I stopped getting taken seriously was when my hair loss started to show. I found hair loss quite easy to deal with at first; I've never really cared about my appearance and have no interest in fashion. It only really started to bother me when I realised I was being treated differently and being overlooked. We can kid ourselves that it isn't like that, but deep down we all know the truth.