+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

I agree but you will find posters on this site that will tell you there are worse things. Yes but not psychologically. I am a survivor of testicular cancer and guess what-Baldness has affected me much more than the cancer. You die on the inside with baldness and do not recover. People will lie and say it does not matter-B.S. I used to see a shrink and he said baldness is no big deal but he had to appear in court for a juvenile one day and told me that he had to go home to dress up and use gel on his hair to make himself more credible to the jury. What a hypocrite. My hair did not matter but in court his did to be more creditable to the jury. If it were no big deal the hair industry would not be a multi-billion dollar industry. All of the treatments available are no real cure. They all have their disadvantages and none are guaranteed to give you a full head of hair. Some can help but you never get back what you once had. Only in rare cases will you have a "Miracle" So to speak. If there were a real cure people like Elton John and John Travolta would have it. They use wigs- Others use medications and others transplants. They all have disadvantages and there really is no real cure at this time. Until there is this will always be a struggle of the mind. Be happy you were never disfigured by a doctor as I was. I now can go out in public because I have had many, many corrective surgeries but still do not have what I truly want. I still look like I need more hair. This is the reality of baldness and I agree with you whole-heartedly. My scars will always remain as my entire youth was lost. Now I am getting gray hair as well. Gee life was so great. I now at 45 am glad I never had a child. My parents are dead now and they were so hurt by what this "baldness disease" did to my spirit. They always said you were never the same since 1984 (age 19) They were right. My mom even said I will always love you but seeing you like this I should not have had you. She was right and I miss her everyday but even if she could come back to life there would be nothing she could do. She saw me struggle with this for 18 years and I feel she died of a broken heart because of me. When a parent sees their child as unhappy as I was it does break their heart. You are right no kids is best for people like us.

Default Important Discussion for Tonight’s Broadcast!

Hey Guys,

This thread probably hits home with the vast majority of hair loss sufferers. Many years ago, when I began writing about my hair loss, I referred to my condition as a “disease of the spirit.”...I’ve also referred to it as a “cancer of the spirit.” The emotional toll it can take is profound, which is why it’s so easy for the hair loss industry to take take advantage of vulnerable men and women suffering with AGA and other hair loss conditions.

I think this thread brings up some important issues so I’ll be discussing it on my show tonight. Feel free to call into to share your stories and opinions.

You can now watch The Bald Truth Live through the forum:
    http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1076
    The player is in the first post of the thread.

Or you can watch via The Bald Truth website at 8pm EST, 5pm PST:
    http://www.thebaldtruth.com/watch-live/

I'd love to hear from you guys!
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

Dear Spencer: I am sorry I missed the show. I had other pre engagements. Is there a way I can hear the show through this site? I hope to call in at some point. I am always doing something on the weekends but will definitely call in the next time on this topic. Thanks--geminidb.

It's not an easy decision to make, but it's certainly a good one. I can live with the smug satisfaction that whilst I may be a casualty of the war with my family's baldness gene, I will nonetheless also be victorious. It may win the battle of my scalp, but it'll be the last battle it ever fights because I'm stopping it dead in its tracks.

I think my mother is probably a bit diappointed that despite having four children of her own, she'll never have any grandchildren unless a cure for baldness is found (my older brother hates kids, my younger brother agrees with me and my sister can't have children). However, she will have to learn to live with that; it's better than living with baldness, as I have told her a few times! I think she's rather keen for a cure to be found now, hair loss is no longer something to just 'get over' in her book. Funny how people change about the subject when baldness affects their own interests, don't you think?

I don't think she really agrees with my methods though. I think a lot of people probably find me extreme. But most of them aren't bald and if they are they're putting their own happiness before their children's so they should be ashamed of themselves. I see my baldness as a disease in the same way as others view sickle cell anemia, phenylketonuria or HIV. It's unfair to have children because you know they'll suffer like you (probably more so, the world gets more image obsessed everyday - actually, I wouldn't be surprised if wigs became mandatory in my lifetime as the shaved head look is bound to go out of fashion sooner or later).

Of course, my attitude is that if everyone took my approach, we'd eradicate a lot of genetic disorders very quickly. Couples should stop being selfish and think long and hard about the sort of life their potential child is going to live. I have done and think the life my children will have will be awful.

Not only will they start balding very young and look 40 before they're 21, and suffer ageism before they're old, not only will they spend a life on pills and potions but they're also likely to develop type II diabetes by the age of 30 and are genetically pre-disposed to get brain cancer by 60. Hardly a recipe for a good life. Quite why my parents thought their genes were worth passing on is beyond me - I wonder whether they just forgot children grow up.

Red face

I agree again. Don't forget the constant depression that will accompany baldness. One will not feel right in public and avoid many, many occasions & situations. I used to just retreat to my bedroom and sleep for long periods of time in my early 20's. Dates were almost non-existent. I actually feel that I have existed and not lived. I am somewhat better now than in my 20's but not totally better. My own father hated his baldness- Norwood 7 + and started wearing a wig at 57 years of age until he died at 82. He was not young and it bothered him so people were not understanding then and even for the most part are not now. My family has finally realized that it will bother me forever. They now state that what bothered people 30 years ago still bothers them today. Psychologists even have agreed with me on this part. They tell me it is up to me on how to deal with it and not let it totally control me. I have been trying but will never feel as I once did prior to 1984. I will not keep writing on and on but there is a lot of sense to this thread- hopefully people will at least give it some serious thought.

Quote Originally Posted by geminidb8 View Post
    Dear Spencer: I am sorry I missed the show. I had other pre engagements. Is there a way I can hear the show through this site? I hope to call in at some point. I am always doing something on the weekends but will definitely call in the next time on this topic. Thanks--geminidb.
    Hey Gemini,

We only archive segments of particular broadcasts, but feel free to call in anytime..This is an extremely important issue that we touch on during every broadcast. We’re now broadcasting on Tuesday nights @7pmPST/10pmEST and of course every Sunday night @5pmPST/8pmEST.

To ensure that you get through try to call a few minutes before the program starts.

Take care,
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

I think I should probably say that my views only really apply to those who go bald young. Whilst distressing at any age, I think baldness would have been okay in my 40s. In my 20s though, it's been hell. It does steal your youth, because everyone assumes you're much older than you are. You become the old creepy guy at the trendy pubs and clubs, even though you're not old.

I think my worst experience though was when I was just beginning to lose my hair when I was just starting out in my career. I was subjected to watching management videos with some awful stereotypes. You know the sort of thing I mean, the ones in which all women are perfect professionals, most men are a bit slack and sleazy and the ultimate hero is a man with lots of hair and shiny white teeth.

In the ones we were made to watch, there was a manager with hair that President Kennedy would have been envious of; a go getting young man with slick gelled hair who was uber professional; the token brilliant woman which no real organisation ever employs and, oh, the difficult, fat, useless one. He was bald, of course.

Indeed, in most management training videos, there's a bald baddie. Professional firms are indoctrinated with the view that no hair = useless employee.

I'm not putting people on this earth to be taught crap like that.

i feel sorry for people like you who put so much stock in something like a 'management training video'. i mean seriously come on man. yeah hairloss sucks but there are much worse things in the world. most of my friends dads are bald and they still have all their hair while my dad is a nw1 and im losing and im almost 26, should they not have had childern? your life is going to be a very shallow and lonely life if u keep placing this much stock into what others may or may not think. if u are so concerned about being bald, get a ht or buy a hair system.

it just depresses me to read threads like this and see there are people with this kind of attitude when life is all about overcoming challenges and obstacles. if u think u can't get a promotion or get a good looking gf, then u are working at the wrong place or dating the wrong girls. i understand the self pity but posting on a message board telling everyone u wont have kids b/c they might have to deal with hairloss, when most of the male population will have to at some point in their lives, seems absurd.

I look forward to getting a ht. I think I will go for an ht and replacement system combo. Thick at the front, with a hair system to cover the back. Is that possible?

Red face

Well attitude is everything. That said I still am not having any children and putting them through this. Every person is different. Some even lie to themselves and state that things are not that bad. This is what gets them through life but you know what the plain truth is no person wants to be bald. Every procedure that is available is not guaranteed. That said I am glad that I have been mostly corrected and have some hair. Having said this I am happier having some hair imagine how happy I would be with a full head of hair. NO person can tell me differently. One must go on but I have lived a living hell with bad transplants, scarring and just some hair. It truly has made me decide never, ever to have a child. I am 45 in june and feel the same way I did 30 years ago. If people want to be selfish and lie to themselves that is thier perogitive.