+ Reply to Thread

Default Shaving recipient area or not?

I've read that some HT Drs who insist on shaving use multibladed knives that can make up to 6 sites at a time. This saves time for the Dr in making the sites, which they say is helpful in very large transplants.

Are Drs that require shaving really using a multibladed knife to make the sites like this?

I can understand why that might be useful in large cases, but some Drs insist on shaving no matter what the size of the procedure. Does shaving and using a multibladed knife have any real benefit in cases that are smaller and targeted in scope?

Regardless of the size of the procedure, Dr. Cole never uses a multi-blade knife because the direction of hair growth can vary from one follicular unit to the one right next to it. Using a 6-blade instrument doesn't allow you to make individual directional changes and it's therefore harder to create a natural-looking flow. Dr. Cole finds that, even though it's more work, aesthetic results are much improved when he can modify the direction from one recipient site to the next. The only benefit of a multi-bladed knife is that it makes the task of creating incision sites faster for doctors;for a small and targeted case, I would definitely opt for a clinic that will use single-blade incision instruments.

Though it's easier for surgeons to work with a shaved recipient site, many doctors can work around an unshaven region. Dr. Cole provides an unshaven version of his CIT procedure called C2G (Cole To Go). This is a particularly popular option for prominent figures who have to return to work or the public eye immediately following a procedure. With C2G, patients can literally return to work the day after a procedure and any evidence of a hair transplant will be virtually undetectable.

Thanks CIT_Girl for your reply.

Does Dr. Cole accept online consults - could I send some pics for an eval?

He does do free online consultations. You can go to our website Cole Hair Transplant or call the office at 1-800-368-4247
    Last edited by CIT_Girl; 02-23-2015 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CIT_Girl View Post
    Regardless of the size of the procedure, Dr. Cole never uses a multi-blade knife because the direction of hair growth can vary from one follicular unit to the one right next to it. Using a 6-blade instrument doesn't allow you to make individual directional changes and it's therefore harder to create a natural-looking flow. Dr. Cole finds that, even though it's more work, aesthetic results are much improved when he can modify the direction from one recipient site to the next. The only benefit of a multi-bladed knife is that it makes the task of creating incision sites faster for doctors;for a small and targeted case, I would definitely opt for a clinic that will use single-blade incision instruments.

Though it's easier for surgeons to work with a shaved recipient site, many doctors can work around an unshaven region. Dr. Cole provides an unshaven version of his CIT procedure called C2G (Cole To Go). This is a particularly popular option for prominent figures who have to return to work or the public eye immediately following a procedure. With C2G, patients can literally return to work the day after a procedure and any evidence of a hair transplant will be virtually undetectable.
    I had a FUT with DR cole about 13 years ago. Must say he did a good job and did not shave my recipient area. It was important to me to be able to hide the HT as much as possible. In the end I was able to hide the transplant so no one noticed.