On average, when does hairloss seem to accelerate the fastest?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JSmyth
    • Feb 2012

On average, when does hairloss seem to accelerate the fastest?

I am currently 26 and have mild frontal thinning with slightly receded corners. I have been on finasteride for 4 years (currently taking 0.5mg every other day).

I am curious when, on average, an individuals pattern of hair loss becomes evident. I want to get a HT at some point but I am not jumping into anything without having a good idea of where my hair loss is headed.
  • hanginginthewire
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by JSmyth
    I want to get a HT at some point but I am not jumping into anything without having a good idea of where my hair loss is headed.
    I'm feeling the same, but I am confused because people keep saying that hair loss is "progressive". So, aren't we all headed to NW7? Just a matter of time?

Comment

• JSmyth
      • Feb 2012

Originally posted by hanginginthewire
      I'm feeling the same, but I am confused because people keep saying that hair loss is "progressive". So, aren't we all headed to NW7? Just a matter of time?
      I don't think that is the case. If we lived long enough then yes, all men predisposed to baldness would probably reach a high NW. But, not everyone has rapid hairloss so across the life course they may only reach a lower NW. It is hard to gauge when it is safe to have work done though.

Comment

• JSmyth
        • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Rashid Rashid, MD, PhD
        In most people it is in the 20s and 30s.
        In your experience, when do you usually "know" an individuals pattern well enough to feel comfortable moving along with surgery?

Comment

Working...