+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hybrid View

Use hair loss concealer, the best and least messy is DermMatch. Propecia, even cutting the 1mg pills in half is fine for daily use. The last route is surgery, but at 23 he might regret it. GL.

Hey there, sorry to hear your son is struggling with hair loss. Wanted to give my thoughts on Propecia for you.

I take Propecia currently because losing my hair was causing severe depression and my doctor thought its risks were worth the benefits in my particular case.

I definitely have had some side effects, libido is lower but sexual function is normal. It also causes fatigue and lack of motivation as HTSoon put it.

I'm willing to make the trade off in my personal case, I'm 27 and married but you have to understand how devastating hairloss can be to young men.

My advice would be to get full bloodwork done and talk to a doctor thoroughly about how his hairloss is affecting him and weigh the risk benefits.

For now absolutely start rogaine foam and Nizoral as that will buy some good time to make a decision.

All the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilmdt View Post
    So this may be a first, Mom here. My son is working two jobs and we've been doing research (mainly online) for options to cope with hair loss. I have read some of the threads of the younger men coping with hair loss. I can understand their pain at losing ones hair so young.

I feel bad for my son not because he's losing his hair, I personally find bald men attractive but because I know it's impact on him. I'm sure the list of hot bald men have been posted but that's not to minimize the emotional/psychological/social impact of hair loss on those experiencing it.

I initially thought there was a correlation between my son taking Accutane in his teens which is the same time he started to lose his hair, 17, maybe Accutane related or not, there seems to be some evidence based on other people's personal experiences. I was naïve in thinking because my Dad at 90 still has a full head of hair as my brother in his late 40's, so would my son. I empathize with what some of the young men in this situation have posted. I've read the threads. I just didn't see too much on what worked or is working for the young guys.

Are there discussions of successful hair transplants at such a young age? It's hard to watch your child struggle with this while the majority of his friends don't have this issue. I guess my post is, we are overwhelmed with information.

My son tried Propecia with unsettling side affects but he is willing to try again ( though we want to be better informed about the drug) Is there also a drug used to treat prostate issues that stimulates hair growth? I saw that somewhere but can't find it again.

For now are getting the pill cutter discussed here for Propecia. Minoxil also gave him an uncomfortable sensation on his scalp. He has the laser cap with no significant result and upon stopping minoxil he seems to have shedding. He has consulted an IAHRS affiliated Physician, that would perform 1300 FUE grafts but there seems to be differing opinions on surgery for a 23 year old and the cost, considering he will more likely need more surgery, is concerning as well; then there's Turkey, as well as hair shock loss concerns. Not too sure I understand that phenomenon. I read Joe Tillman's extensive research on Turkey.

Some surgeons won't even see my son, too young. HELP? Not sure where to start. Any suggestions regarding tattooing the buzz look? Looks good in pictures but never seen it, or maybe I have but it's that good.

Thanks,
    Concerned Mom Here. Thank you for this website, the show and those of you sharing your story and knowledge, so grateful!! The info on the world wide web is mind numbing.
    Finasteride should be the first-line of attack in anyone's treatment, especially someone young and considering surgery.

Hair transplantation is like trying to paint a picture on an ever enlarging canvas with very limited paint. (bald spot grows and donor hair is limited to begin with). Finasteride will better your odds of a favorable outcome in this scenario. I would not get surgery if he is 23 and rapidly losing hair, you may never have enough to cover all the ground. especially without finasteride because the loss will be faster comparatively.

I urge you to read my story and things I have done as I have been battling with hair loss since age 25 and now I am 32. No surgery.

The data for laser cap (LLLT) success is simply not there. I would not waste money or time with that.

https://www.baldtruthtalk.com/thread...tment-Protocol

You are such a beautiful mother! My mother didn't give a shit, even doesn't remember when my father went bald, 0 support from her :/

Hi Mom!

Very awesome of you to be looking out for your son! Wish I had a mom like you.. ha

So I'm 26 with satisfying looking hair. Had my procedure at 25. Found my physician at 24. Started doing heavy research at 23. So seems like your timeline is a okay.

Doing FUE (no scar) honestly changed my life, but I was very fortunate to have picked the right person. My Doctor kinda wrote the book on the surgery. Is on the Board and even created inventions to help with process. I'm over here in Los Angeles! (So I know all about image.. ha)

If you want to research his name is Dr. Parsa Mohebi. Hope you find this tip useful! Let me know if there's any other questions with how my experience went. Always happy to share.

Richter101 is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

Born Oct ’89
    Began Seeing Gradual Hair Loss Oct ’09
    Began Seeing Gradual Hair Gain June ’15

My regimen includes:
    HT #1 2200 (ARTAS- FUE) grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2016
    Finasteride daily, since 2014
    Rogaine experimenter from 2012- ’13 RIP

Planning HT #2 By End of This Year