+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thank you!!!! I appreciate the suggestions.

Joe Thank you so much for replying to my post, your expertise, suggestions, personal experience and detail as to how to take the medication if he decides too is greatly appreciated. We will take all this information into account and I'm having my son read it so he can make an informed decision. ����

Thank you for your compassion and advice!!

Finasteride aka Propecia aka Proscar is pretty powerful. Definitely have blood work and labs taken as baseline and continue monitoring. I tried generic, actual propecia, actual 5mg proscar cut into 4 sections, and guess what, all gave me sides that are on and off to this day.

Whether it is:
    -testicular aches or pains time to time
    -brain fog
    -sexual sides (a few)

It has happened but it did preserve hairs to a degree i think, even in crown along with my minoxidil.

However, a lot of folks have some degree of sides and it doesnt matter if it is the branded version or generic, the sides are sides. You just have to make sure if you get generic, that it is actually real or a reliable well known brand. Such reliable generics are probably found in stores (walmart, cvs, rite aid, etc) and less via online pharmacies.

I would agree, see if your son responds well to a healthy diet first, vitamins, and minoxidil, before jumping on finasterid or propecia. If the meds can sustain him, surgery should definitly be a last option (even though some known docs will be willing to proceed with surgery). Some docs offer gaurantees for replacing hairs that did not grow, while some give some sort of refunds if surgery doesnt attain goals or there is limited growth, and some offer repair procedures as recourse. I mean you pay thousands of dollars so it isnt much to ask for what will you do if hair does not grow type of questions.
    You dont want to pay like $18,000 and hair doesnt grow properly and onlyto be told to lay more for repair or go somewhere else or sorry i cant help you. I know a lot of docs that did repairs and refundsd folks when something went wrong or growth was not good, and they are well known on forums. It is only an added measure for security, and some of these growth gaurantees are even tradmarked by some surgeons. In any case, regardless of what you decide for your son, surgery should be the very last resort and once it starts it may not end up as promised or discussed.

Be very careful and i wish you the best.

I am sure Joe has some great ideas/thoughts on the matter, he's a great resource .

For a lot of us, having surgery was the worst mistake of our lives, I know it was for me. I had strip surgery done when I was 25, I starting losing my hair at 21. When I was about 30, everything changed, guys would just shave their heads and move on. May not be what you want to hear but this is not a 5 year decision, this is a lifetime decision. 20 yrs later I am still dealing with the aftermath. Look into propecia and rogaine....I would highly advise against surgery. Even a toupe is reversible, you don't want it anymore, pull it off and shave the hair that's left.

Thank you. I appreciate you taking the time.

I was 27 when started seeing doctors in UK to get my hairline sorted.
    Apart from one, they all said I have to wait until the receding continues (by that time, I also had a little crown patch but had lots of fine hairs still on).

I started using Propecia, and I needed to go to toilet quite often and had some dizziness. But I continued and now I feel fine, assume my body got used to it?

So, it might a better idea to wait a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilmdt View Post
    So this may be a first, Mom here. My son is working two jobs and we've been doing research (mainly online) for options to cope with hair loss. I have read some of the threads of the younger men coping with hair loss. I can understand their pain at losing ones hair so young.

I feel bad for my son not because he's losing his hair, I personally find bald men attractive but because I know it's impact on him. I'm sure the list of hot bald men have been posted but that's not to minimize the emotional/psychological/social impact of hair loss on those experiencing it.

I initially thought there was a correlation between my son taking Accutane in his teens which is the same time he started to lose his hair, 17, maybe Accutane related or not, there seems to be some evidence based on other people's personal experiences. I was naïve in thinking because my Dad at 90 still has a full head of hair as my brother in his late 40's, so would my son. I empathize with what some of the young men in this situation have posted. I've read the threads. I just didn't see too much on what worked or is working for the young guys.

Are there discussions of successful hair transplants at such a young age? It's hard to watch your child struggle with this while the majority of his friends don't have this issue. I guess my post is, we are overwhelmed with information.

My son tried Propecia with unsettling side affects but he is willing to try again ( though we want to be better informed about the drug) Is there also a drug used to treat prostate issues that stimulates hair growth? I saw that somewhere but can't find it again.

For now are getting the pill cutter discussed here for Propecia. Minoxil also gave him an uncomfortable sensation on his scalp. He has the laser cap with no significant result and upon stopping minoxil he seems to have shedding. He has consulted an IAHRS affiliated Physician, that would perform 1300 FUE grafts but there seems to be differing opinions on surgery for a 23 year old and the cost, considering he will more likely need more surgery, is concerning as well; then there's Turkey, as well as hair shock loss concerns. Not too sure I understand that phenomenon. I read Joe Tillman's extensive research on Turkey.

Some surgeons won't even see my son, too young. HELP? Not sure where to start. Any suggestions regarding tattooing the buzz look? Looks good in pictures but never seen it, or maybe I have but it's that good.

Thanks,
    Concerned Mom Here. Thank you for this website, the show and those of you sharing your story and knowledge, so grateful!! The info on the world wide web is mind numbing.
    Finasteride should be the first-line of attack in anyone's treatment, especially someone young and considering surgery.

Hair transplantation is like trying to paint a picture on an ever enlarging canvas with very limited paint. (bald spot grows and donor hair is limited to begin with). Finasteride will better your odds of a favorable outcome in this scenario. I would not get surgery if he is 23 and rapidly losing hair, you may never have enough to cover all the ground. especially without finasteride because the loss will be faster comparatively.

I urge you to read my story and things I have done as I have been battling with hair loss since age 25 and now I am 32. No surgery.

The data for laser cap (LLLT) success is simply not there. I would not waste money or time with that.

https://www.baldtruthtalk.com/thread...tment-Protocol

You are such a beautiful mother! My mother didn't give a shit, even doesn't remember when my father went bald, 0 support from her :/

Hi Mom!

Very awesome of you to be looking out for your son! Wish I had a mom like you.. ha

So I'm 26 with satisfying looking hair. Had my procedure at 25. Found my physician at 24. Started doing heavy research at 23. So seems like your timeline is a okay.

Doing FUE (no scar) honestly changed my life, but I was very fortunate to have picked the right person. My Doctor kinda wrote the book on the surgery. Is on the Board and even created inventions to help with process. I'm over here in Los Angeles! (So I know all about image.. ha)

If you want to research his name is Dr. Parsa Mohebi. Hope you find this tip useful! Let me know if there's any other questions with how my experience went. Always happy to share.

Richter101 is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

Born Oct ’89
    Began Seeing Gradual Hair Loss Oct ’09
    Began Seeing Gradual Hair Gain June ’15

My regimen includes:
    HT #1 2200 (ARTAS- FUE) grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2016
    Finasteride daily, since 2014
    Rogaine experimenter from 2012- ’13 RIP

Planning HT #2 By End of This Year