+ Reply to Thread

Default Please take a look at my hair and give me an honest opinion.

I am 22 years old and I have been stressing out about this since mid January and Im SICK OF IT. I want to live my ****ing life and stop worrying. I need more opinions. I have been to 3 separate dermatologists about this and Im convinced that they are clueless when it comes to hairloss.

I have always had fine/light hair. Ive always had to use alot of gel when I had shorter hair and styled it up.

I first noticed a receding hairline in january. The dermatologists confirmed this. I would put myself at a NW 1.5 or so (even tho they say im not even on the NW scale).

The first time I went to a derm, I asked if I was diffuse thinning. He looked at the side/top of my head for maybe 5 seconds with a magnifying glass and said that there was no miniaturization. I dont believe him though. I didnt ask about the hairline.

The second derm looked at my hairline and said I did have some miniaturized hairs on the hairline, but said I wasnt on the NW scale at all. He absolutely refused to prescribe propecia because he said he thought it was going to be taken off the market soon due to the side effects. I dont think he looked anywhere else, but I asked if there was any thinning on top and he said no. (But like I said, im pretty sure he didnt even look).

The third derm did not even check for miniaturization. She said that the way to tell if you are losing hair is to part the center on top and part the back. If the top is more wide than the back, then you are thinning. She didnt use any kind of magnification. She said there was a slightly larger gap on top. She gave me a prescription for propecia.

So here is the deal: If im diffuse thinning, I am absolutely going to get on propecia ASAP. But if not I will put it off.

I have a **** load of pictures here. I will try to explain my concerns with them.

Here are some pictures that I have found over the past couple of years. As you can see in many of them, you can see my scalp. I use this as kind of a base line.
    Attachment 46032
    Attachment 46038Attachment 46039Attachment 46033

He is my center part, back/side part, and a couple with my hair pulled back. Some damp/dry/with flash.
    Attachment 46018Attachment 46043Attachment 46044Attachment 46051Attachment 46026Attachment 46030Attachment 46052
    Attachment 46031

Here it is wet/combed back.
    Attachment 46037Attachment 46041Attachment 46042Attachment 46045Attachment 46046Attachment 46047Attachment 46048Attachment 46049Attachment 46036Attachment 46035Attachment 46034Attachment 46019Attachment 46021Attachment 46022Attachment 46023Attachment 46024Attachment 46027

And here it is with the wind/sun shining directly on it.
    Attachment 46050Attachment 46029Attachment 46031

Please, just give me an honest opinion. Im sick of worrying and trying to count every single hair I lose. I lose about 50 hairs or so by the time I get done showering/fixing my hair. Throughout the day, when I run my hands through my hair I might lose an additional 20. I have heard that as long as I am within the 50-100 range then I should be good. I think I am losing miniaturized hairs tho. Some hairs that come out look "dead" and are really curly/crooked looking.

Any advice,
    Id really, really appreciate it.

First of all. I've looked at all the pictures and I can't see any MPB. Now getting 3 similar but slightly different answers from 3 derms is a little difficult and i'm sure, very annoying.

Your right hand side based on the first picture and the picture of your wet hair of the same side shows that the hairline is still the same. So it hasn't moved back any. Which is good right? I can't judge the other side as I have no comparison. And I can only see it wet and under bright light.

Diffuse? It's hard to tell... your hair looks thin when wet but this isn't unusual. It's always difficult to judge wet hair. Your dry hair pictures really don't show any diffuse loss at all. And if you ARE you're in the VERY early stages and you're doing the right things. But like I said.... I can't see any.

The third derm checking your parting is strange. It's mainly (of course not always) women who lose hair by a widening part.... Perhaps they weren't the best derm.

Also - Everyone has "miniaturized" hairs on the hairline. There is a cross over "zone" ... your hair doesn't just randomly go from vellus body hair on your forehead to thick normal hair. It does transition and it's normal. I think the average person has 20% miniaturization without any hair loss....

I want to end this by saying, i'm sorry you're going through this. I have (and still do) .... It's hard... I know.

EDIT : Oh and the crown looks fine too! And stop counting hairs. It's not what falls out.. it's what grows back. I got in the habit of checking every hair that came out. But MPB isn't like that. It's a slow process it won't help determine MPB.

Thank you for looking it over for me.

Yes, its extremely annoying to have a few different derms tell me different stuff. And yes, when its dry it can have a very thick appearance. I just get extremely nervous when I see people that are on propecia post pictures of their hair wet/combed back and it looks similar to mine. I do agree, my hairline has not moved much the past 3 years or so. Honestly, it could have always been like that and I never noticed.

I guess I will keep monitoring it for a few more months before making a definitive decision on propecia. I would like to hear some more opinions, as im sure you know this is something that can consume most of your thoughts.

Hey OP. I'm not an expert or anything but I know how it feels to not get concrete answers. Just a quick tip, try and visit a trichologist or a IAHRS approved doctor (there's a list somewhere I will try and find it), who are pretty much experts in hair loss. They can give you a more definitive answer.

Quote Originally Posted by hamishb View Post
    Just a quick tip, try and visit a trichologist or a IAHRS approved doctor.
    Thanks for the advice. I am hoping to not have to go to another doctor. Seeing three derms was pretty expensive and when I tried to see a trichologist, the price was in the $200's. I have a prescription for propecia, so I technically dont need to go back if I wanted to start treatment. I was just looking for some extra opinions (as the derms all had different opinions haha).

Looks lovely to me man!

Your hair looks full when dry but when wet looks horrible lol Imo your hair is fine its just really fine like most white people's hair.

Do you see any hair while showering or styling?more than 1 or 2

or at your desk just falling off

Your hair is great man. I'd trade you hairlines anyday! If you are concerned, then you can always start fin, but honestly I don't recommend it. Losing 1 or 2 hairs in the shower would be phenomenal, but it's not realistic. Counting hairs is not the most accurate way to assess balding, but it's great for anxiety and stress - trust me. Keep an eye on it over the next 6 months, and take pictures. If you notice change the. You know what you should do. If not...then you need to realize that your worrying over nothing. Good luck man!

Your hair looks decent. I wouldnt mess with any surgery at this point. Caliber looks fine in texture but thats ok, it is the texture and nature of your hair. even changing some shampoos may help. Avoid oily lotiony ones and look for some that may give it a full look without the silky oily textures. Eat healthy and see how it is a year or so. Right now, i wouldnt mess with it. You may end up damaging more if you try surgery at this point. If you see distinct change later on, then you should reach out for consults but at this point monitor and use those photos as a baseline. Good luck