Periodic Shedding (feeling demoralized) - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread

Default Periodic Shedding (feeling demoralized)

Hey All,

I've been on finasteride for about 20 months so far, and up to about a month ago my hair was doing great. About a month ago my hair was better than it had been in probably 4 years. I even stopped needing to use caboki to cover up my crown. My regimen has been stable for the past 6 months with avodart once a week (planning to stop eventually) and 1.25mg of generic finasteride 6 days per week. I also apply minoxidil only at night, because its too messy to try to do twice a day and my scalp gets insanely irritated.

About a month ago, I started shedding an insane amount. Probably more than I was before I started treating. The hairs are long, full looking hairs with a little white bulb attached to the end of most of them. The hairs I was shedding at the beginning were really thin and tapered towards the end. The only thing that changed at the time was that I stopped using nicotine patches. I had been using chewing tobacco for years and finally quit, by using the patches. Otherwise, my regimen has been the same. No new brands of finasteride or anything else at all. No new stresses in my life. No new shampoos. Just my regular regimen.

I'm at the point that my hair is probably what it was before I started treatment and I feel like shit at the moment. I got a haircut this weekend and it looks terrible, no matter how I try to style it, it just doesn't work so I'm probably gonna go get it cut to a #5 tomorrow.

Anyways, has anyone else experienced periodic heavy sheds while on finasteride, or so-called cyclical shedding? I mean I guess it could be because of the changing season, but I don't really buy into all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Aonyx262 View Post
    Hey All,

I've been on finasteride for about 20 months so far, and up to about a month ago my hair was doing great. About a month ago my hair was better than it had been in probably 4 years. I even stopped needing to use caboki to cover up my crown. My regimen has been stable for the past 6 months with avodart once a week (planning to stop eventually) and 1.25mg of generic finasteride 6 days per week. I also apply minoxidil only at night, because its too messy to try to do twice a day and my scalp gets insanely irritated.

About a month ago, I started shedding an insane amount. Probably more than I was before I started treating. The hairs are long, full looking hairs with a little white bulb attached to the end of most of them. The hairs I was shedding at the beginning were really thin and tapered towards the end. The only thing that changed at the time was that I stopped using nicotine patches. I had been using chewing tobacco for years and finally quit, by using the patches. Otherwise, my regimen has been the same. No new brands of finasteride or anything else at all. No new stresses in my life. No new shampoos. Just my regular regimen.

I'm at the point that my hair is probably what it was before I started treatment and I feel like shit at the moment. I got a haircut this weekend and it looks terrible, no matter how I try to style it, it just doesn't work so I'm probably gonna go get it cut to a #5 tomorrow.

Anyways, has anyone else experienced periodic heavy sheds while on finasteride, or so-called cyclical shedding? I mean I guess it could be because of the changing season, but I don't really buy into all of that.
    Hi there,

Did the shedding finally stop and hair grow back?

I am currently going through the same thing. I had started dut and minoxidil about 10 months ago. I had tremendous growth to the point I stopped using caboki as well. Then 4 months ago the shedding started and hasnt stopped yet. I am now back to exactly where I started or probably worse.

Please let me know how it went...... I'm sort of in panic mode.

Hi there,

Sorry for the late reply. Yes it grew back and has since stabilized. I still go through periodic shedding, but its seems less drastic. I'm using minoxidil once every other day and have been for 4-5 months now. I am taking name brand proscar and slowly switching to generic dutasteride since it costs me 5 bucks per month. My hairline has filled in a bit, although it hasn't really come forward much. I still use caboki, although not that much usually. I only shampoo every 2-3 days, which I think has helped the overall appearance of my hair. I also think getting a good haircut helps. If you find someone who will cut your hair to fit your hairline and pattern, that can really help with the general appearance. I would just keep doing what you're doing and ride it out. Try to stay consistent and don't make any drastic changes all at once.

Good luck! Let me know how it goes.

Inactive

Good post to serve as a reminder that seasonal sheds are temporary and normal - even though they can be extremely frustrating. Thanks for the update.

And I agree 100% about what a huge difference the right hair cut/style can make. Before my HT, I knew exactly how to have my hair cut/styled in order to disguise the hair loss and receding hairline.