+ Reply to Thread

Default Could we make our own liposomal Minoxidil + Dutasteride topical?

I have been interested in liposomal delivery of drugs into the skin. These have been researched for over 50 years and, from the minimal research I have done, it seems to deliver the most amount of drug to the deepest level without system absorption. In this paper: http://www.valeant.com.mx/cif/reposi...2733_253_4.pdf The author suggests a 5x advantage in another substance:

"The suggestion was based on drug disposition data of the triamcinolone
    acetonide-loaded phospholipid liposomes formulated as lotions
    or gels. Encapsulation of triamcinolone acetonide into lipo-
    somes resulted around five times increase in drug skin deposi-
    tion. The work of Mezei suggested that dermatological
    application of liposomal formulations compared with conven-
    tional ones led to increased drug skin deposition and decreased
    its systemic biodisposition
    [16]"

Using this approach it might be possible to utilise higher concentrations of Minoxidil with perhaps even Dutasteride and increase the effectiveness of these proven treatments whilst decreasing their absorption (best of both worlds). Hasson and Wong have been using a liposomal topical finasteride for a couple of years and have great results:

https://hassonandwong.com/topical-fi...-prescription/

http://www.hairlossexperiences.com/v...126&forum_id=6

So the options at the moment are to wait for Hasson to release their formulation (with prescription and a cost of maybe $60 per month - not totally sure about cost) or perhaps there's a way to make our own. A vitamin company called LivOn Labs have created a liposomal delivery system for a few vitamins they sell and have released a patent for their process: http://www.google.com/patents/US20120171280 It turns out that this might be possible to make at home.

This post http://qualityliposomalc.com/research/index.html has the process for making it using the LivOn labs patented approach with mainly uses household equipment (apart from the Elmasonic p60h ultrasonic bath which costs around $2K). I have a source in China that I could source the drug as well as a local lab here that will test the compound for purity and molecular structure (about $200 for test). The ingredients are cheap and the process doesn't seem to take very long.

I realise that this should be in the Cutting Edge / Future Treatments. I can't edit the original but if the moderators can change it, that would be good.

Here is some more information from a detailed study:

"Overall, the results of the present investigations suggest that MXD-loaded neutral
    liposomes, having selective PU drug-targeting potential,
    may have profound therapeutic applications in improving hair growth and treating alopecia."

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...J_Liposome_Res

I vaguely remember reading that many compounding pharmacies do not even have the capability to create liposomal/"nanosomal" topicals. Good luck trying to cook up stuff in your kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMPB View Post
    I vaguely remember reading that many compounding pharmacies do not even have the capability to create liposomal/"nanosomal" topicals. Good luck trying to cook up stuff in your kitchen
    I think those difficulties have been overcome by using the patented process described in the link.

Quote Originally Posted by rakewell View Post
    I think those difficulties have been overcome by using the patented process described in the link.
    It sounds like you have already convinced yourself you know the answer. Why even ask? Its Likely nobody here is a compounding pharmacist that can help you. Go ahead and make ur expensive topical and report back to us.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMPB View Post
    It sounds like you have already convinced yourself you know the answer. Why even ask? Its Likely nobody here is a compounding pharmacist that can help you. Go ahead and make ur expensive topical and report back to us.
    I ask because I am not convinced. Speaking generally, how can one possibly be convinced if it hasn't yet been created the result verified under a microscope? I also ask because there may be others out there with better skills, experience and resources that may progress this more quickly than I could on my own.