+ Reply to Thread

Default Shedding after quiting propecia

Hi,

I'm considering going on Propecia in a month or so and have one question about it. Not about sides. I didn't find a clear answer to that on the many threads I've read.

Let's say I take propecia because I want to delay my baldness over times. I'm ok with going slowly bald but not yet and not at that rate (I'm 23).

If I take the pill for let's say 5 years and then stop it, will my hair fall at the same rate that they are falling now (which would mean I delayed the thing for 5 years), or will they fall to the point I will be as bald at 28-29 as I would have been at that age without taking any medication?
    I don't know if my question is clear, but it's a good one I think. I don't want to take propecia my whole life but I don't want to become completely bald all of a sudden if I quit the drug.

Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by Bran View Post
    Hi,

I'm considering going on Propecia in a month or so and have one question about it. Not about sides. I didn't find a clear answer to that on the many threads I've read.

Let's say I take propecia because I want to delay my baldness over times. I'm ok with going slowly bald but not yet and not at that rate (I'm 23).

If I take the pill for let's say 5 years and then stop it, will my hair fall at the same rate that they are falling now (which would mean I delayed the thing for 5 years), or will they fall to the point I will be as bald at 28-29 as I would have been at that age without taking any medication?
    I don't know if my question is clear, but it's a good one I think. I don't want to take propecia my whole life but I don't want to become completely bald all of a sudden if I quit the drug.

Thanks !
    Anything related to Propecia is very (very) individual. For example, some of the users can get severe side effects after taking only 1 pill, while others can remain sides free for decades. So similarly, the answer for your question is not unambiguous.
    However, as far as I know, and most of the cases I have read about throughout time, were more like the second option you mentioned. When you stop taking Propecia, you will probably lose (very fast) all what the drug has given to you throughout the period of time that you have used it.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon WHTC Clinic's Avatar

The loss would be noticeable after a three-month period. Look at the advantages of Plasma-Rich Platelet treatment to maintain your hair loss. By stopping the oral medication, you would be more subject to obvious miniaturization (shrinking) of your hair, but PRP could be a sufficient option for you to replace the oral medication.
    Click here for a free hair loss recommendation from Dr. Patrick Mwamba

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC clinic.

Consultations with Dr. Patrick Mwamba
    London, UK - Available (Sat.)
    Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Sat.)
    Bologna, Italy - Available (Sat.)
    Brussels, Belgium - Available (Mon. - Sun.)

Follow us: Facebook - Youtube - Pinterest

Email
    customer.care@mywhtc.com
    Telephone
    +32 479-75-3281 (Belgium)
    +44-203-318-6228 (UK)
    les meilleures solutions chirurgicales pour la perte de cheveux

Quote Originally Posted by Dobler View Post
    Anything related to Propecia is very (very) individual. For example, some of the users can get severe side effects after taking only 1 pill, while others can remain sides free for decades. So similarly, the answer for your question is not unambiguous.
    However, as far as I know, and most of the cases I have read about throughout time, were
    more like the second option you mentioned. When you stop taking Propecia, you will probably lose (very fast) all what the drug has given to you throughout the period of time
    that you have used it.
    Hey Dobler thank you for your answer.
    Do you think some people use propecia lifelong ? I mean, everybody who wants a baby has to quit the drug am I wrong? Or something else, when you're aging your sexual skills are not the same than it used to be and you might need to quit propecia for that reason as well (not knowing if it's about age or about the drug, etc...). Except for Spencer Kobren and Tilmann I don't know one guy who was on propecia for more than 1 or 2 years. And I think it is useless if you're losing all of your hair when you're off the drug for 1 year or so... I'd rather be slowly balding.

Are you taking propecia ? For how long?

I'm really disappointed. I'm afraid of the sides of course, but I'm ready to take the plunge if it means delaying my baldness over time. However I don't want something that is just a fake and very temporary way to save my hair.

Thank you !

I was on propecia for the most part from the age of 25 to 31, when I was only losing hair on my frontal 3rd. I believe it slowed down my hair loss - it certainly didn't regrow lost hair for me though. When I stopped taking it I noticed I had lost more hair than usual after about a year. It wasn't a devastating amount, but it was noticeable. Was it 6 years worth of loss condensed into a small amount of time? No, I wouldn't say so.

Quote Originally Posted by Bran View Post
    Hey Dobler thank you for your answer.
    Do you think some people use propecia lifelong ? I mean, everybody who wants a baby has to quit the drug am I wrong? Or something else, when you're aging your sexual skills are not the same than it used to be and you might need to quit propecia for that reason as well (not knowing if it's about age or about the drug, etc...). Except for Spencer Kobren and Tilmann I don't know one guy who was on propecia for more than 1 or 2 years. And I think it is useless if you're losing all of your hair when you're off the drug for 1 year or so... I'd rather be slowly balding.

Are you taking propecia ? For how long?

I'm really disappointed. I'm afraid of the sides of course, but I'm ready to take the plunge if it means delaying my baldness over time. However I don't want something that is just a fake and very temporary way to save my hair.

Thank you !
    My experience is very similar to what you are asking about so I will tell you what happened to me, doesn't mean your hair will do the same thing. I started taking propecia at 26 after a couple of hairtransplants. At first the drug didn't seem to be working but I kept at it because I didn't have any real sides. AFter about 2 to 3 years my hair loss slowed down a lot. Still experienced some loss but with the transplants I had a pretty nice head of hair until 35 years of age. Then me and my wife decided to have another child, you are correct that some studies show that the drug can be found in semen and could cause harm to the baby so I stopped. I had stopped for 8 months with our first child and didn't notice much of a increase in hair loss and didn't notice to much after the first 9 months. Stupidly after our daughter was born I didn't get back on propecia I figured it wasn't working that much and I would just use rogaine. WEll in 2 years I pretty much lost all my hair except for the transplanted hair. It wasn't like the hair all fell out right away it was just like it resumed where it left off and I didn't have that much to begin with. I noticed my hair was getting worse but told myself rogaine might work and propecia probably would help anyhow. I have been back on propecia for the last 6 months and haven't noticed anything either way no regrowth no more loss. Just stabilized. So in my experience it won't all fall out suddenly but it will resume were it left off, maybe a little worse? But it will be gone at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by sanook View Post
    I was on propecia for the most part from the age of 25 to 31, when I was only losing hair on my frontal 3rd. I believe it slowed down my hair loss - it certainly didn't regrow lost hair for me though. When I stopped taking it I noticed I had lost more hair than usual after about a year. It wasn't a devastating amount, but it was noticeable. Was it 6 years worth of loss condensed into a small amount of time? No, I wouldn't say so.
    My experience was basically exactly the same. I would say it was aggressively thinning after stopping but more in line with it picked up where it left off. I also experienced the same benefits it slowed down loss dramatically but didn't regrow anything, seems this is the most common result from taking propecia.

Quote Originally Posted by WHTC Clinic View Post
    The loss would be noticeable after a three-month period. Look at the advantages of Plasma-Rich Platelet treatment to maintain your hair loss. By stopping the oral medication, you would be more subject to obvious miniaturization (shrinking) of your hair, but PRP could be a sufficient option for you to replace the oral medication.
    PRP can't come anywhere close to the effectiveness of Propecia.

It's not even as good as rogaine...

Quote Originally Posted by WHTC Clinic View Post
    Horrible advice yet again. Prp is not fully proven yet you spew it out to people as a legit treatment over something FDA approved like minoxidil.

I am useing useing aindeem finisteride, I had long hair cut my hair shirt and it seemed like my hair loss had stopped and the fin had kicked in, my hair was think when I cut it, I am now loosing my hair at a rapid speed never had been this quick at all, my skin is a little oily and the hairs I shed are very thin and have no life in them at all, some hairs are ok tho, I've been on fin for around 4 months now and don't know if it's rite for me I had a full head of hair it's making me very depressed constantly looking for answers could anybody shed some light on this ?