+ Reply to Thread

Default 10 months on rogaine - still shedding!

Hi all,

It's been about 9.5 months for me, once daily app on my frontal hairline corners. During this time, I've seen vellus hairs that were 1mm grow to about 1-1.5cm. No significant regrowth otherwise. I need some advice because to this day I am still shedding like crazy - as in I can sit at my desk and have a hair fall out every 15-20 minutes. It has been like this every since I started minoxidil, and while the severity of shedding has fluctuated cyclically, I've never truly stopped shedding since my dread shed.

I'm at a loss for what to do - rogaine seems to have some effect because I have vellus hairs now that were almost non-existent before; and I've heard people say that these will eventually shed and come back as terminal hairs. However this constant shedding has ruined other parts of my hairline - I think I've lost over 60% of my hairline density since starting rogaine. Please help! Is this rogaine doing its job by shedding and regrowing hairs again? or is it just natural progression of hairloss?

P.S. I'm not using an AA at the moment, my doctor wanted me to give rogaine a go for at least a year before prescribing fin because of affecting hormones and blah blah.

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Hi all,

It's been about 9.5 months for me, once daily app on my frontal hairline corners. During this time, I've seen vellus hairs that were 1mm grow to about 1-1.5cm. No significant regrowth otherwise. I need some advice because to this day I am still shedding like crazy - as in I can sit at my desk and have a hair fall out every 15-20 minutes. It has been like this every since I started minoxidil, and while the severity of shedding has fluctuated cyclically, I've never truly stopped shedding since my dread shed.

I'm at a loss for what to do - rogaine seems to have some effect because I have vellus hairs now that were almost non-existent before; and I've heard people say that these will eventually shed and come back as terminal hairs. However this constant shedding has ruined other parts of my hairline - I think I've lost over 60% of my hairline density since starting rogaine. Please help! Is this rogaine doing its job by shedding and regrowing hairs again? or is it just natural progression of hairloss?

P.S. I'm not using an AA at the moment, my doctor wanted me to give rogaine a go for at least a year before prescribing fin because of affecting hormones and blah blah.
    I'm experiencing the same thing except for a brief 1 month period around the 2-3 month mark which I didn't shed. I'm at month 10-11 now and the shedding just won't stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic View Post
    I'm experiencing the same thing except for a brief 1 month period around the 2-3 month mark which I didn't shed. I'm at month 10-11 now and the shedding just won't stop.
    Some people say they only see visually significant regrowth after 12 months, but im wondering if 10 months isnt long enough to judge how effective rogaine is going to be for me. Like you, i had a brief 3 month break after my initial shed where my shedding dropped to more normal levels, then i recently experienced a second massive shed that lasted throughout Jan-Feb (mo. 7-8) and now my temples are basically gone. The hair that i lost is being replaced by vellus rather than terminal hair, the complete opposite of what rogaine is supposed to do. Have you experienced any regrowth at all?