+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hair 'Islands'

Default Hair 'Islands'

Hi, thank you for taking the time to read this post, its my first post and I would imagine this subject has been discussed before in the forum, I unfortunately could not find it so please indulge me,

Im a 47 year old male in the UK Ive noticed my hair receding for about 5 years now, but not too much, Im comfortable enough to use hair thickening fibres such as Nanogen to get by. However in the past 6 months I seem to have noticed my crown receding quicker and my forehead hairline doing the same to the extent that Im considering a transplant, and I have a lot of questions, If any of you kindly folk could answer them it would be incredibly appreciated

1. Am I at a good age to get one?
    2. The Uk is expensive, will I receive quality treatment abroad such as in Turkey?
    3. If you copy and paste this link: http://imgur.com/iCIzcPq
    you can see my current situation on the left picture with my hairloss.
    4. The link shows a question I have about 'hair islands', will I have to get another hair transplant?

Im sure I have missed out many more questions, and if I need to answer any further questions I certainly will, but as a rookie at this these are the pertinent ones for me, if there are any links to my questions that would be great. I feel pretty crap about my hairloss, confidence etc I did shave my head for charity a few years ago and I looked absolutely terrible I would not have looked out of place on a Police mugshot line !!

Thank you so much in advance and I look forward to reading something positive and helpful to me

Thank You
    Wes

Hello Welker,

1. You are at a good age for a transplant
    2. You can receive quality treatment in a number of countries in the EU, UK, and North America
    4. You should research preventative treatments (finasteride, minoxidil etc) for hairloss which can in theory stabilise it and justify a hair transplant being viable as long as you understand the long term implications.

You are lucky to only have started losing your hair at 42, I was born with a shit head of hair and have struggled with it my entire life.

It is imperative you do a lot of research into which doctors are suitable and what to expect. There is an abundance of information on this forum and others.

I hazard a guess you are in a pretty fortunate situation where your hair is fairly thick given you only started losing it late.

Again, do a lot of research, cough up £10-£12k and make it happen, enjoy your new look. Good luck

Thanks Jack

10K _+ is way out of my league Im afraid, the most I can do is about 2000 euros. Did you see the image I copied and pasted intomy original message. Its the 'hair islands' thing Im particularly worried about

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon WHTC Clinic's Avatar

You want to consult a couple of reputable clinics before choosing your approach to a viable solution. Non-surgical methods need to be considered as well as a conservative approach even if you choose surgery as donor resources are very finite.
    Click here for a free hair loss recommendation from Dr. Patrick Mwamba

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC clinic.

Consultations with Dr. Patrick Mwamba
    London, UK - Available (Sat.)
    Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Sat.)
    Bologna, Italy - Available (Sat.)
    Brussels, Belgium - Available (Mon. - Sun.)

Follow us: Facebook - Youtube - Pinterest

Email
    customer.care@mywhtc.com
    Telephone
    +32 479-75-3281 (Belgium)
    +44-203-318-6228 (UK)
    les meilleures solutions chirurgicales pour la perte de cheveux

To prevent this "hair islands" problem, first you would need to get on medication (Finasteride or Dutasteride) in order to stop or slow down your hair loss. You can't just replace everything with transplants, you have a limited supply of donor hair available. If your hair loss is already very slow, that would be preferable. Understand that surgery can actually accelerate your hair loss though. A year on medication might be prudent before surgery, even if your hair loss is already somewhat stable.

Almost nobody gets "just one" hair transplant. You'll probably need to plan for additional work in the future, until you run out of donor supply, money or patience (or all three).

If you are new to this topic, you need to do a lot of research. There are pros and cons, limitations and things to beware of. Don't get any surgery until you've really gotten a handle on the topic. A lot of people are interested in hair transplants, based purely on what they hope and imagine hair transplants are, and not on the facts. Even though the procedure is performed by medical doctors, in some cases they are more interested in making money, and less interested in your well-being. Do lots of research before deciding anything.

This is a good place to ask questions and do research!

Quote Originally Posted by arfy View Post
    Almost nobody gets "just one" hair transplant. You'll probably need to plan for additional work in the future, until you run out of donor supply, money or patience (or all three).!
    Then learn to live with what you got

"Almost nobody gets "just one" hair transplant. "

Is that right, people have to keep getting hair transplants?