X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joachim
    • May 2014

again, skin with hair follicles derived from iPS cells

3-layer skin including hair follicles made from scratch derived by iPS:

but will we see this ever in a human trial in our lifetime? i guess you know the answer.
    if the fu**ing bureaucracy and world laws would allow to try this out tomorrow in a well controlled clinical setup with a few volunteers, the cure could be developed within 2 years or so. not even a cure for hairloss. imagine how great those skin patches are, for several purposes, of course including burn victims. creating such skin in the lab is huge. but it won't happen in the next 10 to 20 years.
    we need someone like elon musk for the healthcare sector. people who don't just talk about the future but turning it into reality. often some kind of progress in the world comes only because of some few great and passionate people in the world.
  • pixels
    • Nov 2015

I'm hopeful that somewhere that doesn't have a beaurocratic ****ed up FDA does this.

I reconciled a while ago it probably won't be USA

Comment

• Arashi
      • Aug 2012

I find it quite a disappointment to see Tsuji labs (Takashi Tsuji was involved) experimenting with mouse hair. Damn ... Who cares about mouse models. I had hoped Tsuji would be doing this stuff by now using human DNA instead of mouse DNA. Shows us how far off we are man ... Not sure though why they used mouse DNA, in their previous breakthrough, a few years back, they cloned human hair. This seems a step back, not sure why.

Comment

• jamesst11
        • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Arashi
        I find it quite a disappointment to see Tsuji labs (Takashi Tsuji was involved) experimenting with mouse hair. Damn ... Who cares about mouse models. I had hoped Tsuji would be doing this stuff by now using human DNA instead of mouse DNA. Shows us how far off we are man ... Not sure though why they used mouse DNA, in their previous breakthrough, a few years back, they cloned human hair. This seems a step back, not sure why.
        idk... to quickly get themselves in the paper and make some $$$$$ ????

Comment

• baldybald
          • Jul 2012

He said 10 years here:

For the first time, a lab in Japan has grown skin that does more than feel — it sweats, self-lubricates and even grows hair. It could change everything from chemical testing on animals to skin grafts on burn victims — and you don't even have to…

Comment

• Arashi
            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by baldybald
            Hehe, ah the famous '10 years from now' !

Comment

• burtandernie
              • Nov 2012

Someday these small steps will get to a major milestone and make a big difference in everyday life for tons of people. That day is still decades away and going to happen probably slower than what you think. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Take action now verses waiting on future stuff however distant that may end up being

Comment

• Follisket
                • Aug 2014

Originally posted by burtandernie
                An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Take action now verses waiting on future stuff however distant that may end up being
                For the millionth time, WHAT action?

Comment

• joachim
                  • May 2014

Originally posted by Follisket
                  For the millionth time, WHAT action?
                  yes, i feel the same. he's talking like there is a 100% side effect free prevention which suits everyone. as if it was the easiest thing to prevent it if you catch it early. probably he's one of the lucky guys and it worked for him. but taking Fin and minox and messing around with your body hormones and heart pressure is not an option for everyone. in fact, in the recent year more and more complaints about Fin have reached the daylight from long-term users, where permament damage to the body is irreversible. even the most journal articles started to mention that in the recent years whenever they write about hairloss-related topics. it's commonsense today that Fin and Minox can cause serious side effects, even if you don't notice them for many years.
                  Fin is dangerous long-term for a good percentage of people, and the day you start noticing it's irreversible anymore. we even have some forum members who experienced all that trouble.

i used Fin for half a year and had no side effects at all, but also no visible regrowth or maintenance. after researching a lot a came across all those side effects, experienced by a lot of people, some of them even trying to sue the pharma company for that.
                  then i decided to quit it completely in favour of the long-term health, also in terms of sperm quality.

in fact, even if Fin had regrow all my hair, i would decide against it, because the risk of serious messing up your body is too high although many people here will tell you the risk is negligible and always reversible. after so many years and long-term usage from different users, we know that this is not true.

Comment

• Swooping
                    • May 2014

This is just another collaboration that Tsuji has done. He is still moving forward with his in vitro method revolving around mesenchymal-epithelial interactions for hair follicle regeneration. A press release will be brought out soon about that.

Comment

• iaskdumbquestions
                      • Dec 2015

Originally posted by Swooping
                      This is just another collaboration that Tsuji has done. He is still moving forward with his in vitro method revolving around mesenchymal-epithelial interactions for hair follicle regeneration. A press release will be brought out soon about that.
                      Going to go on a limb and say that you don't have much hope for the Turkey or Brotzu topicals...?

Comment

• noisette
                        • Jun 2013

Collaborative Research Agreement with Exclusive Option to Produce Universal Donor iPS

April 6, 2016 (Seattle)-Universal Cells Inc. (Seattle WA, USA) and HEALIOS K.K. (“Healios”) (Tokyo, Japan) have entered into a collaborative research and exclusive option agreement to create therapeutic off-the-shelf iPSCs. The partnership will focus on the production of Universal Donor iPSCs by editing the genes required for antigen presentation.

“Partnering with the world’s leading company in iPSC therapeutics, and the leading nation for accelerated regulatory approval for regenerative medicine products is a significant step towards bringing universal donor cells into the clinic”, commented Dr. Mitchell, CEO of Universal Cells.

Universal Cells’ technology is based on discoveries by Dr. David Russell, the co-founder and Chief Scientific Officer of Universal Cells, and a world-renowned leader in gene editing. Universal Cells has licensed patents on recombinant adeno-associated viral (rAAV)-mediated gene editing, and HLA engineering.

With Universal Cells’ proprietary technology, Healios intends to develop next-generation allogeneic iPSCs that are compatible with everyone. Although autologous iPSC manufacturing is feasible, an off-the-shelf cell line has the potential to revolutionize the field of cell therapy by enabling the scalable production of safe, effective, and predictable treatments.

“iPSC regenerative medicine is our core business. When iPSC regenerative medicine with less risk of transplant rejection can be developed from iPS cells regardless of HLA type, safety of treatment is improved, and treatments for a variety of diseases can be developed. This technology enhances clinical application of iPS cell technology,” commented Dr. Hardy Kagimoto, President, representative director and CEO of Healios.

During the option period, Universal Cells will engineer Healios’ clinical-grade iPSCs. The exclusive option is for the treatment of dry/wet AMD, and for use with Healios’ proprietary Organ Bud technology in liver and kidney clinical fields.

Source: http://universalcells.com/new/healios

Comment

• allTheGoodNamesAreTaken
                          • Aug 2015

What? Is that actually saying stem cells don't have to come from your own body and they want to mass-produce them?

Comment

• pixels
                            • Nov 2015

Sounds cool to me.

I don't believe in a god but let's pray that no right wing anti science weirdo God botherers get into power in the next USA elections.

Otherwise it's goodbye stem cell research funding until the level level headed science focused Govt gets into power.

Although if Drumph (Trump) gets to be president maybe he will expedite a solution

Comment

Working...