+ Reply to Thread

Talking How long should I give Propecia?

Hello All,
    I started taking Propecia about a month ago and I am wondering when should I expect to see resluts if I am one of the lucky ones who regrew hair. I am 23 and have major thining on the top of my head and also a receding hairline. The only good news is I don't have a bald spot yet and I hope I never will. Hairloss dosen't run in my family really, I have 2 brothers senior to me by 10 plus years and my father is in his 60's and has thining and a recided hair line but he did not acuire that untill he was in his 40's. So I was just wondering how long I should give propecia to work if it is going to thicken up my hair. I was told by the doctor that the hairline would not regrow with propecia but my hair should thicken up. I would just continue to take it, but I think I might be one of those unlucky ones that got those bad side effects. I never have morning errections anymore and I hardly get those random errections that I grew acustom to. So I just wanted to get some input from propecia veterans and what they would suggest.

Thanks in advance

You should give it a least 12 months, some people see results even after that. Your side effects might be in your head if you've been thinking about them so I wouldn’t worry too much.

I started taking propecia 4 months ago...and 1-3 months in I noticed I wasn't getting morning erections or random ones either. But I noticed recently that I started to get them again. I think people who have been on propecia longer than me will tell you that they do come back.

And I agree that if one constantly worries about it, it will only make it harder to achieve an erection. The first 12 months of propecia are very tough mentally for many, but staying positive is the key. Definitely stay on for a full year unless you are noticing serious problems. I always hear people tell me that the first 6 months are tough but they are thankful that they didn't quit early.

Default propecia takin'

i'm new to this site (1st post!) and like the advise being given out, this little thread in particular.

i'm about to start Propecia, should get my first 3 month batch this week and plan on taking it for 12 months and think things through then (next March), consider results etc.
    will update my hair findings then.

so, like one member is called 'staystrongmen' ...so very true!

regards,
    57mph

Quote Originally Posted by StayStrongMen View Post
    I started taking propecia 4 months ago...and 1-3 months in I noticed I wasn't getting morning erections or random ones either. But I noticed recently that I started to get them again. I think people who have been on propecia longer than me will tell you that they do come back.

And I agree that if one constantly worries about it, it will only make it harder to achieve an erection. The first 12 months of propecia are very tough mentally for many, but staying positive is the key. Definitely stay on for a full year unless you are noticing serious problems. I always hear people tell me that the first 6 months are tough but they are thankful that they didn't quit early.
    Thanks for the advice man. I just wanted to ask you a couple of questions though.
    1.Are you taking propecia to thicken up your hair, or just to hold on to what you have?
    2.And are you seeing any results from the stuff yet?

Once again thanks for your advice.

Default reply

hi,

sorry for the late reply.

I started to take propecia to try and hold onto what i have left, i have no reason to beleive that i'll grow new (or lost hair) through using propecia.

i've been taking propecia for just over a week and that is far to early to see any really change, this is why i've promised myself i'll carry on taking propecia for 12months atleast and then decide if there has been any change.

while i'm on here and to go off thread a little...

...i started to listen to the podcasts recently (the old podcasts that were avaliable), but i only have 5 shows from itunes, i was getting into the mindset that i was about to listen from 2005 onward to get upto date (crazy i know-but i've found out the show is like a drug) but realise the podcasts don't go any further than 5 shows from back in 2005, is there anyway all the Bald Truth shows podcast are some place safe so i can get them downloaded? oh, and if Spencer is reading, dude i signed-up to TBT on itunes as you told us to do...back in 2005. ummm, anyway, hope that makes sense and i reall do hope there's more podcasts out there!

57mph

You really need to stay on it for at least 1 year you may see hair-regrowth after 6 months or a slowing of hair fall after about 1 or two months, it's like building muscle it does not happen overnight, as far as the woody thing goes I have read and found evidence of it lowering testosterone levels but it will bounce back once the body adjusts, any way I hope that helped..

I have been taking propecia for 3months but still encounter increase in hair shedding..just wonder when this shedding will stops...should i keep on consuming propecia...Anyone can share their experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by blackSTAT1K View Post
    I have been on 1.25mg of finastride along with minox for 6 months; you can see my progress and regiment here: http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=2485

I honestly dont know if its working or not...all i know is i FEEL like i have continued to thin, on the temples, but...from what i have read and hear, shedding and thinning can take place up to 6 months (which i guess is a good sign that you are responding to the treatment) and then 6month-12month is when you should expect some real results IF you are going to have any.

Def have my fingers crossed and good luck man. Its def better to be on it than not be on it. I spoke with Dr. Lee and he told me its nearly impossible to over treat the hair follicle with todays medications, so do what you can now to save what you have for later.

I shed a lot especially during shower...around 30 to 40 strands..
    Do you experience that much of shedding too?
    This really worried me on whether to continue my propecia treatment ad my top frontal and crown area really thin down alot recently due to the increased shedding.