+ Reply to Thread

Default Do I even have MPB?

Hey guys, I've been on Finasteride for over 3 months now. However I have been recently debating if I even have hair loss. Whenever I post pictures of my hair on hair loss forums I get laughed at and called "mentally ill" and told I have "BDD." I got on Finasteride because I noticed I was shedding a lot last fall (losing like 40-50 hairs in the shower and could pull 1-2 hairs out everytime I ran my hair through my hair). 3 months in a barely shed anymore. I also have posters on forums tell me that I have a "mature hair line" and that I'm a "NW 0-1." When I first saw my derm for my hair loss he said my temple recession was bad and said my crown was thinning. The next time I went back he said I wasn't thinning on my crown and that I was a NW 1.

So my question is, do you guys think I have MPB and I just caught it very early or maybe I was just going through a "seasonal" shed when I was noticing all that hair loss? Attached are pictures of my hair.

Family History for anyone that wants to know:

Dad - Strong NW 1.5-2. Starting to diffuse thin a little at age 60 but still a good overall head of hair.

Uncle (Dad's brother) - NW 1 but has a little bit of diffuse thinning going on (he's in his 50s)

Grandpa (Dad's dad) - Looked like he was a diffusing NW 3 from like his late 30s on. NW 6 with the outline of a NW 3 pattern in his early 80s

Mom's side:

All of my mom's brothers are NW 2-2.5 in their 50s and 60s. One uncle is probably a NW4-5 in an A pattern

Grandpa (Mom's dad) - No idea as he wasn't really in her life, but he had a thick NW 1 in his mid 20s.

Quote Originally Posted by davesmith420 View Post
    Hey guys, I've been on Finasteride for over 3 months now. However I have been recently debating if I even have hair loss. Whenever I post pictures of my hair on hair loss forums I get laughed at and called "mentally ill" and told I have "BDD." I got on Finasteride because I noticed I was shedding a lot last fall (losing like 40-50 hairs in the shower and could pull 1-2 hairs out everytime I ran my hair through my hair). 3 months in a barely shed anymore. I also have posters on forums tell me that I have a "mature hair line" and that I'm a "NW 0-1." When I first saw my derm for my hair loss he said my temple recession was bad and said my crown was thinning. The next time I went back he said I wasn't thinning on my crown and that I was a NW 1.

So my question is, do you guys think I have MPB and I just caught it very early or maybe I was just going through a "seasonal" shed when I was noticing all that hair loss? Attached are pictures of my hair.

Family History for anyone that wants to know:

Dad - Strong NW 1.5-2. Starting to diffuse thin a little at age 60 but still a good overall head of hair.

Uncle (Dad's brother) - NW 1 but has a little bit of diffuse thinning going on (he's in his 50s)

Grandpa (Dad's dad) - Looked like he was a diffusing NW 3 from like his late 30s on. NW 6 with the outline of a NW 3 pattern in his early 80s

Mom's side:

All of my mom's brothers are NW 2-2.5 in their 50s and 60s. One uncle is probably a NW4-5 in an A pattern

Grandpa (Mom's dad) - No idea as he wasn't really in her life, but he had a thick NW 1 in his mid 20s.

I take fin but I clearly have MPB. I really don't think you do.

Finasteride isn't candy, I would get off of it until you have a better sign of MPB, you have a full head of hair.

Nw12