+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy PRP causing thinning

Hi everyone so I have a question for anyone that may have experienced this, I had a hair transplant around 11 months ago & at first it was horrible I had so much shock loss I went nearly completely bald needed concealers everyday but tried to stay calm & positive it'd grow back, at about the 6 month point it did come back I was so thankful & happy with how I looked, anyway my surgeon recommended I do PRP to maintain my hair so I had my first treatment about 4 months ago then my second 6 weeks ago I was booked in for my 3rd next week but I've cancelled it as my hair has become much thinner because of it I'd say I've lost probably 40% of my hair density & it's really stressing me out, has anyone else experienced this? And did it come back? After how long? I'm hoping it's either shock loss again from the injections or maybe my unhealthy folicles have pushed the hairs out to begin growing healthier ones? My surgeon is currently overseas but one of his staff members said PRP can't make hair fall out because it's just concentrated growth factors etc but he's wrong because it has, I'd appreciate if anyone can shed some light on this, thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussigymguy View Post
    Hi everyone so I have a question for anyone that may have experienced this, I had a hair transplant around 11 months ago & at first it was horrible I had so much shock loss I went nearly completely bald needed concealers everyday but tried to stay calm & positive it'd grow back, at about the 6 month point it did come back I was so thankful & happy with how I looked, anyway my surgeon recommended I do PRP to maintain my hair so I had my first treatment about 4 months ago then my second 6 weeks ago I was booked in for my 3rd next week but I've cancelled it as my hair has become much thinner because of it I'd say I've lost probably 40% of my hair density & it's really stressing me out, has anyone else experienced this? And did it come back? After how long? I'm hoping it's either shock loss again from the injections or maybe my unhealthy folicles have pushed the hairs out to begin growing healthier ones? My surgeon is currently overseas but one of his staff members said PRP can't make hair fall out because it's just concentrated growth factors etc but he's wrong because it has, I'd appreciate if anyone can shed some light on this, thanks everyone.
    I am fully convinced that PRP can cause telogen effluvium. Once again, this is my personal view, based on the hundred or so stories I have read about it. You are causing trauma directly to the scalp. I had TE from a simple, small HT that was only in one area of my scalp. That being said, I am also of the opinion that PRP is hyped up way to much, and primarily only by those selling it. I have never seen an actual thread or story of a real user regrowing hair with it. In my opinion, it is like the laser comb. They found some mediocre evidence to support it could grow hair, and sold it to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussigymguy View Post
    I had 2 PRP treatments 6 months apart. My 1st treatment caused an awful shed. To the point I thought I was going to be completely bald but it somewhat grew back. The Hairline portion I lost never grew back. The crown came in a little darker and I had some peach fuzz growth along my hairline. My 2nd treatment didn't cause as bad of a shed but didn't make my hair darker or grow more hair either. All in all, I can't say PRP helped my hair. I prob would've been better off not doing it. In my opinion, it's a scam to suck our wallets dry. I paid $1600 for a doc to take my blood and inject it back into me. Then like an idiot I paid him again. Hindsight is 20/20, I would not do it again!

And as Jamesst11 said, I too believe PRP causes TE. Mainly because of the timing of the shed and the amount of shedding after my PRP treatment. It was scary to say the least. Portions of my hairline that I lost after my PRP treatments never grew back.