+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Toppik Danger??? Please help!

At 31 after nearly 8 years of hair loss I finally decided to try a concealer. No product looked more amazing and well-reviewed than what seems like the front runner of hair fibers - TOPPIK.

I ordered some online and finally the other night I had time to play around and practice with it for a good 20 minutes. I was pretty amazed with the results, yet sad of course, knowing that it has come to the point of having to pay to spray fake hair into my head while every other friend of mine doesn't have a shred of loss. ANYWAY... onto the more serious and who knows, maybe a rather serious situation...

As with EVERY OTHER SINGLE SOLITARY hair loss product/treatment I've seen over the years, came a problem with this Toppik. Turns out that after the 20 minutes of doing up my hair that night, I began noticing a slight burning sensation in my upper chest. Coughing was happening too. Yep, you guessed it, even though I tried not to, I clearly inhaled some of this stuff. The keratin fibers or whatever you want to call them. I even woke up in the middle of the night for 10 minutes all congested and sniffling a bit. I went to work the next day and felt very unwell all day. I did not start feeling completely better until 48 hours later.

My main questions are simply...
    What does everyone think this was? I can't be the only one this has ever happened to
    Maybe this was some sort of allergy to the wool (fibers)?
    How does everyone else deal with spraying on Toppik or any hair fibers for that matter? Do you hold your breath?

I am also thinking another popular concealer called Dermatch might be a better option as this is a completely different kind of product. I know there is another popular hair fiber product called CABOKI but wouldn't this be very similar? If it was the wool i'm allergic to, then keratin fibers are out for me.

Sad. Can't even spray fake hair into my head to get a confidence boost

Please help.

I used Toppik for years and this never happened to me. Just be careful I guess.

I've used both Toppik and Dermatch. They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Toppik = Great for hairline and mid scalp. Especially great for diffused thinning.
    Dermmatch = Great for the back where it's harder to get Toppik on proportionally(the vertex). And also if you had FUE and want to shave your donor area one day for whatever reason, dermmatch is great at concealing this area. Dermmatch is also good and easier to apply to make your receding temples looks thicker, but there must be some hair there. Good for faded temples, not if you have no temples whatsoever anymore. If you see you have temples but they are kinda feinted or shadowy, dermmatch is good for this.

Who is Toppik and Dermmatch not for: If you are completely bald, do not try to create a new hairline or new temples with these products. You must have some hair where you are applying this stuff. Don't try to use it to get some micropigmentation-like result.

You do not have to use just one, you can use both and just use them in the areas where the other one is giving you a hard time.

Hope I helped, good luck, try both out.