+ Reply to Thread

Default So I am a diffuse thinner? Bright harsh lighting? Fine Hair?

I am making myself ill by constantly taking pictures of my hair. Some people on forums have told me I am a diffuse thinner, but my doctor says I am not balding and doesn't think I need to see a dermatologist. My mum and dad also say I'm being stupid and over-reacting, but I just want to look after my hair, especially if I am losing it after all.

My dad is 68 and has a similar hair line as me and also has fine hair like me, however he has dark hair and mine is brown. My mums dad and brother went bald at a young age I think.

I'm 22 and I haven't really noticed any change to my hair. When I look at pictures of myself when I was younger it looks near enough the same. It's just recently when I stumbled across "Diffuse thinning" that I started constantly checking if my hair was thinning.

When I spike it up with wax and take a picture with flash then it looks like I'm thinning, but if my hair is dry it looks fairly normal to me. I just don't know if it's normal for me to see that much crown or if something is really going on.

Last picture is dry.

Yes, that does look like diffuse thinning. But dont panic, you also do have naturally fine hair. You can tell by looking at the back of your scalp. The caliber of your hair is making the thinning look worse than it actually is while wet, i'm essentially saying its early thinning and not to panic. My advice is to look into treatment and to stop styling your hair with gel. This is for cosmetic reasons, fine hair looks thicker if you grow your bangs out a little bit and use a volumizing shampoo. Overall keep products to a minimum they just weigh down fine hair and and make it look worse.

Edit, I'm not entirely sure actually, pictures 1 and ten look like definite thinning to me, but the rest look fine.

Quote Originally Posted by dm90 View Post
    Yes, that does look like diffuse thinning. But dont panic, you also do have naturally fine hair. You can tell by looking at the back of your scalp. The caliber of your hair is making the thinning look worse than it actually is while wet, i'm essentially saying its early thinning and not to panic. My advice is to look into treatment and to stop styling your hair with gel. This is for cosmetic reasons, fine hair looks thicker if you grow your bangs out a little bit and use a volumizing shampoo. Overall keep products to a minimum they just weigh down fine hair and and make it look worse.

Edit, I'm not entirely sure actually, pictures 1 and ten look like definite thinning to me, but the rest look fine.
    Could it not just be bathroom light and camera light bouncing off the hairs spiked up which are pointing directly at the flash? Because when my hair is dry and flat it looks normal, it only looks diffused and shitty when I purposely spike it up

Could be. Is there a definite difference in how it feels? Run your fingers through the forelock, midscalp, vertex and sides. If they are all the same its probably just the lighting. You could always buy a cheap usb microscope and look for miniaturization. I use entry level dinolite, not sure how much it cost, but any brand should do.

Quote Originally Posted by dm90 View Post
    Could be. Is there a definite difference in how it feels? Run your fingers through the forelock, midscalp, vertex and sides. If they are all the same its probably just the lighting. You could always buy a cheap usb microscope and look for miniaturization. I use entry level dinolite, not sure how much it cost, but any brand should do.
    If I run my hands through the back and top of my hair I can't feel any difference at all. It's literally just when I take a picture under really bright light with it spiked.

Why do you continue to making pics with dry hair? It's normal that your scalp will be visible then. Your hair when dry looks fine, if you want to convince yourself then shoot a short video of the back of your hair and watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by kopola123 View Post
    Why do you continue to making pics with dry hair? It's normal that your scalp will be visible then. Your hair when dry looks fine, if you want to convince yourself then shoot a short video of the back of your hair and watch it.
    You mean pics with wet hair? Because I don't know how I should be checking my hair for balding. If I use flash, bathroom light, wet hair, slicked back.

If you are not baldin with dry hair then you are not balding with wet hair. Stop being paranoid.