+ Reply to Thread

film ARTAS: Perfecting More Precise Graft Implantation

Cosmetic surgery of any kind is in no way an exact science. Besides certain physiological variables that exist from one patient to the next, there are tremendous skill set differences and basic human variables that enter into the equation as well. Currently hair transplantation is a team effort and the result of the surgery is only as good as the weakest member of the team.

However, if there was a way to virtually illuminate the human factor, it only makes sense that the overall quality and consistency of hair transplant surgery will improve tremendously.

Dr. Gabe Zingaretti, Chief Operations Officer (COO) of Restoration Robotics and lead developer of the ARTAS discusses the continued evolution of the ARTAS robotic hair transplant system and how in the very near future, the robot will remove one more human variable from the equation that in many cases makes or breaks the final outcome of the surgery…The implantation of follicular units.

This technology seems amazing! I look forward to seeing video of the implantation process when it's available. I keep saying how I believe it's only logical that this will surpass anything a human can do. When I think about having a transplant my biggest concern is who will be doing the surgery? Every clinic does it differently I guess, but the trend seems to be going in the direction of technicians, not doctors doing the extractions and the placing. I don't trust it. It doesn't seem right. I'm excited to see how far this technology goes. Probably put a lot of people out of work but seems like it will be much better for people getting hair transplants.

I don't think robots put people out of work as much as they allow for the same people to develop a different set of skills. It is a valid point, however, let's look at the world of animated movies and computer graphics. Computers didn't replace artists, they just let the artists express themself in a different way.

I would say hair transplants is the same thing, ARTAS is an enabling FDA cleared medical device. The physicians and his/her staff are the artists and ARTAS the tool that does the heavy lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Zingaretti, PhD View Post
    I don't think robots put people out of work as much as they allow for the same people to develop a different set of skills. It is a valid point, however, let's look at the world of animated movies and computer graphics. Computers didn't replace artists, they just let the artists express themself in a different way.

I would say hair transplants is the same thing, ARTAS is an enabling FDA cleared medical device. The physicians and his/her staff are the artists and ARTAS the tool that does the heavy lifting.
    Good points! I don't think it would be such a bad thing if some of the people who do bad work lose their jobs though. I think what is going to happen is that eventually the most ethical and responsible doctors will begin using this once they see how it performs compared to their employees. If a robot can do a better job, then why not?

Amazing. But why have only one magazine? Why not have three magazines - one for each type of graft (1's, 2's, and 3's) - so that the robot doesn't have to stop and ask the tech to load the cartridge it needs?

2s and 3s can fit in the same cartridge...however some people at my office do call it magazine ....it is not out of the question to have a 3rd one we just haven't worked out that workflow yet, but it is a valid point.

At the moment the cartridges are CNC machined as supposed to molded so it takes quite a bit of time to make one considering also the dimensions of these things...they are tiny!!!

Computer techniques do help to enhance your artistic work altogether. It's becoming a leisure for those artists who want to craft their art to the floor.