+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Let's Talk About Hair Loss!

We are all affected by our hair loss, no matter what the degree. So why can't we talk about it?

Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

Great Video! I think that if I was willing to talk about it early on I wouldn't have waisted so much money on useless products. You Rock Spencer!
    Hey what ever happened to that seduction guy Ross Jeffries? Wasn't he going to help Dave get some babes?

Thanks Man! The amount of hair spray I have on in the video is ridiculous! It looks like I'm wearing a hair beret

Ross just kind of disappeared. Perhaps he thought Dave was too difficult of a project

The truth is Dave doesn't need any help meeting women...Just look at him. This guy not only has great pipes on the air, he's one incredible talent on the piano!

Dave Solazzo everyone...Don't forget to tip your bartenders on the way out.
    Spencer Kobren

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

Hi Spencer!

Why is it so taboo to TALK about hair loss? It's so hush hush, I'm so hush hush about the whole thing. I feel like a lead a double life. I admire what you do, you give a voice to men suffering with hair loss.

Note to guys: It's OKAY to talk about *feelings* hair loss hurts, plain and simple and it can rule our lives if you let it. Hopefully as with everything else in life, you push forward and come out the other side a better, stronger person.

Thanks for everything you've done!

Quote Originally Posted by WomensHairLossProject View Post
    Hi Spencer!

Why is it so taboo to TALK about hair loss? It's so hush hush, I'm so hush hush about the whole thing. I feel like a lead a double life. I admire what you do, you give a voice to men suffering with hair loss.

Note to guys: It's OKAY to talk about *feelings* hair loss hurts, plain and simple and it can rule our lives if you let it. Hopefully as with everything else in life, you push forward and come out the other side a better, stronger person.

Thanks for everything you've done!
    Ditto! Thanks for everything Spencer. I'm sure you hear this a lot, but just becoming a part of The Bald Truth family and this new site has helped my life.

Dave, you kick butt on the keyboard!!! You are very talented.

Bald and Beautiful AlopecianMuse's Avatar

Talking

Hi Spencer,
    I totally agree with what you said on your video about talking about hair loss. It is very difficult to talk about it.
    What I have noticed is how bald men are portrayed in the media. In commercials they are indecisive, lack confidence, needy and are push overs. They dress them in dorky clothes and make them appear "sheepish." I hate that! Hair loss restoration commercials show men "after treatment" in the pool with a gorgeous babe all happy and fulfilled. They make it "seem" as if a woman wouldn't want a man who's hair is thinning or straight out bald. This shows a disconnect to what woman really feel about men and their appearance.
    Hair is so beautiful, and a man who is experiencing hair loss should be aloud to grieve the loss of his hair and at the same time begin to really evaluate what makes him who he is.

I would love to take for example my new hottie friend Dave Solazzo...
    When I first watched the video of him playing piano, my heart was melting! I couldn't take my eyes off of him, and at no time did I even consider what his hair looked like. It was his face and his talent that had me totally captivated. It was him, not his hair that I found so appealing. (yes, I'm married, but I can still look right?) His hair didn't teach him to play, nor did it give him the passion for music that he has. His hair doesn't draw me in and make me sit in his world; it is his heart poured out in his music that does that.
    His good heart and the love that he has to offer will be the thing that captivates and draws a woman in...not his hair. Hair is nice, but his hair would never make ME feel worthy or accepted as a woman if I was in a relationship with him. It wouldn't keep me warm at night, and it wouldn't be able to seduce me by a long shot. But play that music and be who he is as a man, and no woman would be able to stay away. (and I ain't talking about those "over 65" babes hanging out in the lounge listening to him play either!)

When we "hide" others pick up on the "hiding" part, but can't put their finger on what is hidden. It can create a lack of trust that makes others a little stand-offish. But when we are free to talk about the fact that we do suffer with hair loss, and we yet continue to be who we are, people begin to embrace us for being real and genuine without knowing why.

I can't wait for the day when there is no longer the need to hide our loss, and I believe that your work and advocacy to hair loss sufferers is making it possible for people to begin to heal and move forward with their lives.
    You are a rare jewel Spencer, and I am so glad that you are the voice of hope to all who reach out in their pain and silence.

Thank you for creating this forum, and thank you for your incredible heart, you are awesome!

Hi Angela,

Thanks for the kind words. The bad guys in the hair loss industry focus on our vulnerability, and feelings of loss of control. For many of us, as our hairlines recedes, so does our self confidence and self worth. These companies offer a “solution” and at least for men, we are all about taking care of the problem and moving on.

Unfortunately, common androgenetic hair loss is progressive, so the sad truth is that once you cross that line into the the fraternity of the follically challenged, there is no crossing back.

Effective FDA approved treatments focus on maintaining hair and reversing the miniaturization process, giving those who respond well to treatment a reprieve from the normal progression of their hair loss. Many patients can maintain a good head of hair indefinitely, and some regrow a substantial amount of lost hair if they begin therapy early on in the process.

I always make it clear to my listeners and readers, that if they are equipped to deal with living life as a bald person, then their best option is to simply shave their heads and move on with their lives. Treating hair loss is a lifetime commitment. At this stage I consider myself to be in hair loss “remission”, but the possibility always looms that my meds will just stop working and I will be forced to make the decision to either move forward with surgery, wear a hair piece or give the shaved look a try.

My job is simply to empower people with the the information they need to make informed decisions. We are also here to act as a support resource for those who need emotional support.

In my view, hair loss is a “cancer of the spirit.” Talking about our hair loss not only helps us to make more informed decisions, it also helps to helps us to heal.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment and for contributing so much to our community.

All the best,
    Spencer Kobren

Oh, and thanks to WHLP and Laserhead! Didn't mean to forget you guys
    Keep spreading the word.

All the best,
    Spencer Kobren

Bald and Beautiful AlopecianMuse's Avatar

Talking How Very True!

I totally agree Spencer. I'm so glad you are there to help men and women make informed decisions about the options available to them.
    I hope that more will be willing to talk about their experiences without attaching their self-worth to their hair loss. I would love to have been able to keep my own hair, and often wish I had it back...but I also learned that my worth was not attached to my hair. I think that once we realize that, we can more freely talk about our options and our desires. It takes a lot to talk about hair loss and if we feel that we are vain or petty for even being concerned with our appearance, that can sink us into silence. But when we know that it isn't vanity and also how important it is to seek out those options, we not only heal ourselves but also those around us.

Touche Spencer and AlopecianMuse and Friends! These comments are spot on.

Before I found The Bald Truth show in February of 2008, I had kept my hair loss story and treatment shortcomings to myself, since they started in the late 1990s, thinking it was normal to keep it bundled inside, silently suffer, and pretend to let the insensitive remarks of others bounce off my skin.

When I first called the show in 2008, it was the first time since the year 2000 that I had the chance to tell my story and hear TRUE, unbiased, and honest feedback. Eight years is TOO LONG to seilently suffer and feel helpless from hair loss.

Now, my story isn't all that complicated, and I'm a lucky guy in that I only had 1 procedure of 800 grafts by the yo-yo's at Bosley that were practically drooling at the mouth to get me into their chair with comments like "one more surgery and you could quit your job and go to Vegas to become an Elvis impersonator" before I found the IAHRS. But once you choose your treatment path, be it surgery or medication or otherwise, the show is incredibly valuable in deciphering if it's the right one for you, giving you the strength to get through it, and helping you avoid the pitfalls from the A-holes that just want to make a buck at the expense of your suffering.

Spencer, you rock.

TeeJay