+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question

Default Question

Hello,
    Sorry for my mistakes, english is not my first language.

I am a 23 year old young man, about to turn 24 in 3 months. I'm probably a Norwood 2 something, still have a decent amount of hair, but my hairline has greatly receeded over the last few years, and my crown and the whole top of my head is definitely thinner than it used to be. People who don't know me probably don't think "balding" when they look at me, but old friends can definitely say there has been a change.

My hair started thinning at maybe 18 or 19. I can't say exactly when it first began, I had pretty long curly dark hair during my teen, a LOT of, and as far as I remember I always lost a lot of hair on a daily basis (without signs of baldness though).

My father is bald, my paternal grandfather was bald as well. My maternal grand father is not bald at all but his father was. I don't have any uncles to compare with. When I look at pictures of my father at my age, he had pretty much the same amount of hair I have now (maybe a bit less than me but nothing very relevant).

My last girlfriend was horrified when I first mentioned I was losing my hair. She dumped me six months ago, and I'm pretty sure my balding head did play a role (it was at least one of the element).

For the last six months my life has been a complete hell. I don't exactly know how it happened. I definitely knew it was coming, but didn't think twice. But one day I just woke up and thought : Ok I'm balding, my life is over. It has been incredibly difficult to cope with things since then.

I've done my homework, considering every options. I'm taking Rogaine every evening (2 doses instead of one). I won't take Propecia for obvious reasons. I thought about it seriously though and I understand people taking this pill. I don't want a hairpiece.

I guess my option is hair transplant in the future. I thought that maybe 27 or 28 was a good age to begin with in my case.

So here is my question :

Honestly, in your opinion, is hair transplant a real option for a guy whose father is norwood 5 or 6 at 50 and who knows it'll probably be the same fate for him?
    I mean, I don't pretend to achieve a full head of hair. I don't really mind actually, I think receeded hairline look okay on many guys over 30 and can be manly, but I never ever want to be a bald guy. But can I even pretend to achieve anything ?

I've seen some NW5-6 people with surgery done and it looked terrible... Like you look at them and have this strange impression they're bald guys with some dead animal at the back of their head. It's often even worse as the Nicholas Cage thing. I mean, when I look at my father's head, I barely see how the **** a surgeon could practice something decent with his scalp, considering the very few hair he has left...

My question could be summed-up as : is hair transplant a solution for a "true" bald guy, or should I just give up?

I see my post is very long, sorry for that but that shit is tearing me up deeply, and it's very difficult to talk about it to other people. Thanks a lot.

If you still have a decent amount of hair you have all the more reason to take finasteride. It's cheap, effective, probably will let you keep your hair for years. It's the only proven way together with minoxidil to keep your hair, which is a much better way to fight this than to do nothing and get a transplant when you're 30, which is not a feasible solution. Only one way to find out whether or not fin gives you sides but since most men don't the odds are in your favour.

If you don't even want to try to see how well it works on you, then you could probably try some other things which are less proven/more expensive but without sexual side effects, such as laser combs, dermaneedling, Acell+PRP, supplements such as saw palmetto etc. Prevention (finasteride, minox, etc.) is better than a fix (hair transplant). Maybe just minox will help you maintain enough until there is some new product that does what fin does without the sides.

"Natural" options can give sides just like Fin (although at a much lower occurrence), so just keep that in mind before you decide natural vs fin. Saw Palmetto did work on my hair loss (and my sex life/well being) so it just wasn't worth it in the end. Would much rather be bald than feel like that.

I would start fin, itdidn't give me any sides. I'm gonna wait till I'm 24 - 25 to get a hair transplant cause I think that's the only way you'll ever see your hair again