+ Reply to Thread

Default Is this type of central hairline asymmetry a precursor for progressive MPB?

http://imgur.com/S2mn3gY

I was wondering what you guys think about this. As opposed to some hairlines being straight or V-shaped, something I only seem to notice in people that are already pretty far along the balding process is this exact shape where there is a small indent in the center of the hairline, but it's not dead in the center, rather it's slightly to the right or left (in my case) of the center.

Is anyone familiar with this shape of the hairline? I know it's different for everyone, but since I only seem to notice it in people that definitely seem to be thinning on top as well, and progressing towards NW6 (regardless of the pace at which they do so) I feel like maybe having this type of hairline is a good way to predict how far MPB will progress if left untreated?

Feel like I should add that it's not traction hair loss, I almost never wear my combad back like on this photo (for obvious reasons) nor have I ever worn my hair in a center part.

Its the shape of your hairline. eg.

Hairlines do NOT always go straight across. It's probably less common that they do actually. Mine for example is a widows peak. And a V shaped hairline. But it's been this was for as long as I can remember. What your hairline looks like is as much down to genetics as going bald is. Or having blue eyes is... etc Some people are born with a great hairline (but might not keep it) and others (like me) are born with a high hairline in a V shape. That's just the way it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohthehair View Post
    Its the shape of your hairline. eg.

Hairlines do NOT always go straight across. It's probably less common that they do actually. Mine for example is a widows peak. And a V shaped hairline. But it's been this was for as long as I can remember. What your hairline looks like is as much down to genetics as going bald is. Or having blue eyes is... etc Some people are born with a great hairline (but might not keep it) and others (like me) are born with a high hairline in a V shape. That's just the way it goes.
    I guess you're right. I was a bit afraid because I only ever saw this exact type of hairline shape in guys that are NW4+ shaved down all the way, and really often too. So I figured it was a precursor. Your picture didn't convince me enough because obviously this is a very young man and who's to say where he'll be in his 40s and after, but I just happened to stumble across some photos from Christoper Walken today and I guess his hairline is pretty much the same as mine and he has kept it well into his 70s. So I guess it's possible.

Damn I wish I had a crystal ball though. I'm so scared I will take after my maternal grandfather and my half-brother and be NW4 in my thirties. I've already receded more than my dad at 60, but my maternal uncles are all still NW2s in their 60s. I'm on propecia since a week now to see if it helps with my minor shedding but I hate the sides.

I also read that apparantly Christopher Walken swears by pulling on his hair a few minutes every day. Apparently he was told this by Anthony Perkins as a young man and has been doing this every day since. Something about the scalp tightening as we age, and lifting the scalp by firmly pulling on the hair to increase blood circulation. Sounds interesting tbh.

"CW: Anthony Perkins, who I knew as a kid, told me once that every day I should grab my hair and pull it for five minutes. I've been doing it since he told me that. They say that men lose their hair because over the years the skin on the scalp tightens, the blood gets cut off, and the hair dies, like grass, so the thing is to keep the scalp loose by pulling on it."

I was essentially born with a nw2, i have pictures from child hoot to confirm this. In fact my hairline only went about maybe 1/2 a cm back on the temples, but that forlock indention was the first thing that went for me. i left it untreated for about a year and noticed minor thinning in the front and hopped on fin. Shit that was about seven years ago, still got that dumb "split", its the reason i wear my hair with massive bangs (slicked back makes me look weird). I had actually never noticed it on anyone else but myself

My hairline was pointy in the center. It then became v shaped as I lost my temples. Then I lost the very center which I freakin hate! My hairline now looks like a V with the point missing. Kinda like a w at this point. And I am a diffuse thinner heading for NW6