+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Help finding a doctor who will prescribe?

Well, it's driving me nuts, I went to my GP who refused (very hard to get her to prescribe anything at all) and a walk in clinic, and he just told me to take b12, wtf? and he got mad at me for challenging his assertions and acted like everything I've read is made up. All the walk in clinic doctors are stupid and treat you like a street person or something; it's really aggravating.

It's progressing way faster all of a sudden and actually becoming noticeable and I don't want it to get any worse and have decided to just take propecia.

Should I go to my doctor and demand this time?
    should I find another GP?

should I keep going to walk in clinics?

most walk in clinic doctors are really weird, and combative for some reason. It's not a big deal I don't think, but they act like finastride is meth or something.

Should I threaten to walk and find another GP; and will keep trying until I do and scream if I have to a bit?

It's my body, I'm an adult. That's the thing, I'm a mature adult, I know what I'm freaking doing.

Oh, and is the chance of it causing cancer really true or that much of a threat? that's what my doctor said. it can either lower or increase your chances, but isn't that like, every drug?

Does anyone at least have a vague idea of info that I should bring to tell them? because I think a lot of their hesitancy is coming from the back that they know next to nothing about it. They are familiar with the name, and that's it.

How old are you and what country do you live in?

The younger you are the more reluctant a doctor is going to be to give you a medication that might effect your sexual development.

If you're in a country with national healthcare you're also a lot less likely to get given a prescription for something that's a cosmetic issue unless you go private.

Also in general asking for a specific treatment or telling a doctor what to do will not go well. They trained for years at medical school and don't like a patient acting like they know better, whether they do or don't.

It's better to simply complain about your symptoms. Have your doctor make suggestions and then come back saying you tried it and it didn't work. A doctor basically has to suggest new treatments if you come back saying the one he liked best didn't work (wait and see being the most preferred treatment). Eventually they're going to suggest the treatment you want and then it seems like it was their idea when you agree to it.

Also the fact you mention its "very hard to get her to prescribe anything at all", suggests that you go to the doctor a fair bit and ask for specific medications, so your doctor probably sees you as a self-diagnosing hypochondriac or someone trying to scam meds from them, and those are the patients they like the least.

I would try finding a dermatologist that lists or knows about hair loss. They have lots of patients on it already probably, and so have plenty of experience with how it works. So they know about it (usually) and arent scared to prescribe it if they need to.
    Id imagine a hair transplant doc might also be good. Anyone that deals with it a lot and is familiar with it wont be so scared of prescribing it. I had the same issues though with doctors not wanting to hand it out and its hard to argue its not a good idea to take meds if you dont need them
    Tell them your losing hair, you looked at options, you thought about and want to give propecia a try. I got a prescription for it years ago from a derm and decided against it. I dont really regret it at the time it was 60 a month and I didnt have much money. Wasnt really worth it for me then

Quote Originally Posted by Demeter View Post
    How old are you and what country do you live in?

The younger you are the more reluctant a doctor is going to be to give you a medication that might effect your sexual development.

If you're in a country with national healthcare you're also a lot less likely to get given a prescription for something that's a cosmetic issue unless you go private.

Also in general asking for a specific treatment or telling a doctor what to do will not go well. They trained for years at medical school and don't like a patient acting like they know better, whether they do or don't.

It's better to simply complain about your symptoms. Have your doctor make suggestions and then come back saying you tried it and it didn't work. A doctor basically has to suggest new treatments if you come back saying the one he liked best didn't work (wait and see being the most preferred treatment). Eventually they're going to suggest the treatment you want and then it seems like it was their idea when you agree to it.

Also the fact you mention its "very hard to get her to prescribe anything at all", suggests that you go to the doctor a fair bit and ask for specific medications, so your doctor probably sees you as a self-diagnosing hypochondriac or someone trying to scam meds from them, and those are the patients they like the least.
    No, I'm not a hypochondriac; I've just asked about sleeping pills and anti-depressants as I have issues with those. Many docs, will not think twice about handing those freaking things. I've just noticed, she's quite the stickler for meds, which is what I wanted, someone who wasn't so gung-ho about medication and would be aware of other possibilities in regards to health in general (just wasn't all about that)

but she's like completely against them almost, which kind of surprises me a bit.

She said I was too young, but I'm in my mid 20s and have definitely stopped puberty for a while now. I think it's just because I'm so baby-faced and everyone still thinks I'm a kid or something.

And we do have national healthcare; but finastride you can just pay for it anyway, can't you? you can't buy it over the counter, that's the only reason why. Do you just make an appointment with hair doctors or dermatologists and like? and they have the ability generally to prescribe meds like that?

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Ken Anderson, MD, FISHRS, ABHRS's Avatar

Hair Restoration Surgery is its own field of medicine and specialty in 2016. Going to a GP for hair restoration surgery questions/concerns can be a bit frustrating because most GPs are not up on the more recent advances in hair restoration, and are not keeping up with the latest developments in the study of finasteride and its long-term effects on the body. In the USA hair loss is not reimbursed by any insurance, so unless the doctor specializes in hair restoration surgery, it's very unlikely that physician is going to be reading up on any of the more recent data. I suggest going to a physician who has dedicated his career and practice to the field of hair restoration surgery. The appointments are usually free of charge, and you'll find out a lot more about hair restoration than you would going to a walk-in clinic. Finasteride is a medication you're typically on for some time (eg: years), so the doctors who work at walk-in clinics are definitely not expecting to be prescribing medications for life-long issues like hair loss. They're often less comfortable doing that, and that might be the source of your frustration. There are many doctors in the world who practice 100% hair restoration surgery, and seeing one of these physicians for hair loss is likely going to be your best bet for not only a prescription for finasteride, but to help you manage your hair loss for years to come. I hope this information is helpful to you.
    Ken Anderson, MD, FISHRS, ABHRS
    Founder, Director, and Chief of Surgery, Anderson Center for Hair
    Assistant Clinical Professor of Surgery, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
    Board Certified, American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery
    Board Certified, American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
    Board Certified, American Board of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    Fellow, International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery
    Founder and President, American Academy of Hair Restoration Surgery

+1 (404) 256-4247

www.AtlantaHairSurgeon.com
    View my IAHRS Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonless View Post
    No, I'm not a hypochondriac; I've just asked about sleeping pills and anti-depressants as I have issues with those. Many docs, will not think twice about handing those freaking things. I've just noticed, she's quite the stickler for meds, which is what I wanted, someone who wasn't so gung-ho about medication and would be aware of other possibilities in regards to health in general (just wasn't all about that)

but she's like completely against them almost, which kind of surprises me a bit.

She said I was too young, but I'm in my mid 20s and have definitely stopped puberty for a while now. I think it's just because I'm so baby-faced and everyone still thinks I'm a kid or something.

And we do have national healthcare; but finastride you can just pay for it anyway, can't you? you can't buy it over the counter, that's the only reason why. Do you just make an appointment with hair doctors or dermatologists and like? and they have the ability generally to prescribe meds like that?
    I'm not saying this is the way things should be, I'm saying this is the way things are with some doctors, especially in National Healthcare systems where doctors are held to stricter account.

You asked why a doctor wouldn't prescribe you drugs and I explained the mindset behind why doctors are reluctant to prescribe. There's no point arguing against it. Either accept and adapt or remain frustrated.

Regardless of how you feel about it, asking your doctor for medications is a BIG mistake. At best they think you're trying to direct your own treatment (which they hate), and at worst they think you're trying to scam them for medications.

Your doctor isn't just randomly taking against you, they're following guidelines designed to prevent over-prescription. There are strict guidelines that sleeping pills are only to be prescribed as a last resort. If you just go in and say "I can't sleep, can i get some sleeping pills", the doctor is being potentially criminally negligent if they just give you them. They have to exhaust other treatment options before they can prescribe pills in such cases. They're risking losing their license or jail if they don't.

However there's a good reason why sleeping pills are reluctantly prescribed because they don't work long term and they have a whole host of negative side effects. They're effective in the short term only.

As a result, your doctor will see you as someone who just wants a quick chemical fix regardless of side effects/long term consequences which will be exactly why they don't want you to prescribe other drugs.

As for finasteride, going to a private healthcare clinic like the Belgravia Center in London (assuming you're in the UK) is what you need to do if you have a lot of money and are desperate to get a prescription ASAP.

However, you can get this medication prescribed by an NHS doctor if you start playing the game properly instead of demanding the game change its rules for you and getting mad when it doesn't. You have already poisoned the well with your current doctor though so you need to go with another one to start afresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Demeter View Post
    I'm not saying this is the way things should be, I'm saying this is the way things are with some doctors, especially in National Healthcare systems where doctors are held to stricter account.

You asked why a doctor wouldn't prescribe you drugs and I explained the mindset behind why doctors are reluctant to prescribe. There's no point arguing against it. Either accept and adapt or remain frustrated.

Regardless of how you feel about it, asking your doctor for medications is a BIG mistake. At best they think you're trying to direct your own treatment (which they hate), and at worst they think you're trying to scam them for medications.

Your doctor isn't just randomly taking against you, they're following guidelines designed to prevent over-prescription. There are strict guidelines that sleeping pills are only to be prescribed as a last resort. If you just go in and say "I can't sleep, can i get some sleeping pills", the doctor is being potentially criminally negligent if they just give you them. They have to exhaust other treatment options before they can prescribe pills in such cases. They're risking losing their license or jail if they don't.

However there's a good reason why sleeping pills are reluctantly prescribed because they don't work long term and they have a whole host of negative side effects. They're effective in the short term only.

As a result, your doctor will see you as someone who just wants a quick chemical fix regardless of side effects/long term consequences which will be exactly why they don't want you to prescribe other drugs.

As for finasteride, going to a private healthcare clinic like the Belgravia Center in London (assuming you're in the UK) is what you need to do if you have a lot of money and are desperate to get a prescription ASAP.

However, you can get this medication prescribed by an NHS doctor if you start playing the game properly instead of demanding the game change its rules for you and getting mad when it doesn't. You have already poisoned the well with your current doctor though so you need to go with another one to start afresh.
    What are you talking about? obviously you must be desperately trying to save face of the medical industry by pushing the blame on me (as if there was even any in the first place)

Doctors quickly make prescriptions to medications all of the time, and there's no point in denying that. Almost everyone knows that. Of course, I am not aware if or not that has resulted in the medical industry to, in the last couple of years suddenly create harsher guidelines when administrating medication or not, but it still has certainly been an on going reality for quite some time.

I have merely mentioned medication has I HAVE health issues, so there is nothing really unusual or strange about doing so. Give me a freaking break.

Asking for medication to help with hair loss, even if it's somewhat vein, is a very rational and justifiable decision for a young man to reach, I would honestly think. Sorry, but some people really do not want to go bald, and considering it's my body, and the FDA has not taken the damn drug off the market and have actually APPROVED it for use, I do not see any wrong with what I am doing; because at the end of the day, the doctors work for me, okay? I don't understand why they get so 'oh so' emotional and upset over somebody who may question their own self imposed 'authority' that they don't even rightly deserve or are really entitled to have.

Whether or not it's how the "medical system" is, can the doctors not at all think for themselves ever? Because wow. If anything, that's what is wrong with the medical industry all together.

Thanks a lot guy, because that post finally made me realize to give up on the conventional medical system and try alternatives. BECAUSE AT LEAST THEY LISTEN.