+ Reply to Thread

Default When can we say " failure of hair transplant procedure"

It's been 7 months post FUE and I got some growth but the hair is very thin
    I'm afraid that my procedure has failed
    When can we say that the procedure has failed?

Failed is a strong word. At seven months you should be seeing something, but lots of people are late starters. In addition lots of people who have early growth continue to have growth for a long time. You might want to follow up with your doctor.

Inactive

Honestly, I would give it at least 12 months before jumping to any conclusions. Some people start growing early at around 3-4 months, and some don't start growing until much later.

It's also normal for the hair to be thin when they're first growing in. I remember mine looking like little baby hairs. Over time they'll start to mature and thicken up, so give it several more months and reevaluate things then.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My opinions/comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Lindsey's Avatar

Each year we do about 130 strip cases and about 30 FUE cases. Each and every year...we have ONE that really doesn't grow well. I've posted this many times before and tell it to EVERY single patient at the time of their consultation and whenever they proceed. 3 or 4 people a year appear to have a this spot or 2 and sometimes we do a touchup on that, but by and large HT works, IF you go to a reputable clinic with a good track record.

Now why does that 1 a year not grow. Well, we only do one a day so its not from rushing to do someone else. I don't go home with the patient to make sure they don't screw it up but we give good instructions AND I encourage everyone to come the next day and maybe a second time in the first week to make sure they are cleaning correctly. AT LEAST 40 guys a year really don't clean at all...and I've posted 2 or 3 cases where you can see that the crusts got so thick they pulled out hair.... I think that is likely the cause of the couple of thinner spots I mentioned above.

BUT surgery is not math where 2x3 is always 6. Its more like cooking. Sometimes you have the best ingredients and things turn out great. Other times people have less resilient hair and you get decent results but if they don't really clean well OR they simply have poor recuperative traits...results may vary. I want it to work almost as much as the patient...but I can't make it happen.

Lastly, growth is a bell curve. Most people are about done growing at 13-14 months but one guy a year really doesn't start growing til 8 or 9 months... So my recommendation is to stay in touch with your doctor and stick with it for the 18 months Dr. Rashid suggests.

Good luck.

Dr. Lindsey
    William Lindsey, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Aventador some of my best best growth came in my 9,10,11 and 12th month.and then thicken at month 13 thur 18.7 months is nothing.so people like myself are slow growers .i had two HT and both were the same.slow growth.hang in there and think positive .the best is yet to come.good luck.

I had my surgery 10 months ago, and I am very sad about the result. I was reading some websites where doctors say that this month is already close to the final result. It terrified me. Are there people here who grew close to 01 years? I prefer to think that my growth is slow.

I have had FUT x 2, and both times nothing really happened at all until month 5. Months 5-7 things got moving and it really did take up to 18 months for me to see the full benefits. You have to be patient. It is very hard, I know.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Randrade View Post
    I had my surgery 10 months ago, and I am very sad about the result. I was reading some websites where doctors say that this month is already close to the final result. It terrified me. Are there people here who grew close to 01 years? I prefer to think that my growth is slow.
    At 10 months, you probably should have seen significant results by this point, even if not the final product. However, in order to properly assess, I would start a new thread with photos so you can get some outside opinions of what your results look like. Sometimes we're not the best judge of our own progress.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

How is your hair now? any updates?