+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Gene causing grey hair identified

They also talk about balding. They found a new gene that seems to be associated with baldness (i.e. a statistically significant bigger amount of balding men with that gene than non-balding men) on the 10th chromosome, but they don't know if or how that gene really affects baldness. Additionally their study confirmed the association of the AR gene on the X-chromosome with balding (which we already knew).

this part is interesting as well, even though it's not related to baldness:

"Elucidating the genetic architecture of normal variation in hair traits has implications outside basic bioscience. Among human visible phenotypes hair appearance is perhaps the mostly easily modified, a feature prominently exploited by the cosmetics industry. This industry has traditionally focused on the development of products altering the appearance of keratinous hair fibres after their exit from the skin surface. However, there is currently great interest in exploring whether hair appearance can be modified as it is formed in the hair follicle55. This includes evaluating whether hair greying could be slowed or blocked, and elucidating the mechanism by which IRF4 influences hair greying could provide targets of intervention for this purpose. Similarly, modulating the activity of PRSS53 in the IRS and medulla is a candidate pathway with a view to purposefully altering hair shape."

TLDR: it might be possible to genetically stop or slow hair graying, or even change someone's hair shape (i.e. straight/wavy/curly/frizzy)

Nice .. I came in to Post the Same thing .. Glad we are on it.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-35687287

Quote Originally Posted by Fortunate Son View Post
    TLDR: it might be possible to genetically stop or slow hair graying, or even change someone's hair shape (i.e. straight/wavy/curly/frizzy)

But not to reverse baldness

Quote Originally Posted by Link Mahboi View Post
    But not to reverse baldness
    Hence why I wrote "this part is interesting as well, even though it's not related to baldness:"

Yeah so maybe in another 50 years when they figure out all the stuff that goes with this one gene maybe they can find something that helps or cures grey hair. Ill be dead so its hard to really care that much. Finding one gene is practically meaningless. Its like saying you found one of the 200 aging genes just not all that meaningful because you still cant do anything different than you could before

I don't know if you guys are following BioViva and Liz Parrish in particular. She injected herself with about 120 shots of gene altering retroviruses all over her body in order to:
    1. Elongate her telomeres to reverse ageing (theoretically) and
    2. Increase her muscle mass to when she was in her late teen years.

She is now 45 years old...The result of her experiment will become available in September this year. She may die or get some form of cancer. But maybe, just maybe she might actually reverse her age by one or two decades. She's already showing some of the signs anyways:
    • Sleeping 10-12 hours per day (as kids do in their early puberty)
    • Increasing muscle mass as per scans
    • Shrinking her waist line
    • Having vivid dreams

If she pulls this off we literally reversed ageing before curing hairloss LOL

But on a more positive note, this will bring about a revolution in gene therapy as she took a very unorthodox path to try this therapy, by going against the current conservative approach of 'Do no harm' 3 phase trial system. She flew to Colombia with a whole bunch of medical staff and researchers. Did the treatments and flew back

I have a feeling once we have a better understanding of culprit genes for MPB, some brave soul might follow in Liz's path and do the same thing. CAS9-CRISPER technology has certainly made it a lot easier!

Quote Originally Posted by Desmond84 View Post
    I don't know if you guys are following BioViva and Liz Parrish in particular. She injected herself with about 120 shots of gene altering retroviruses all over her body in order to:

She is now 45 years old...The result of her experiment will become available in September this year. She may die or get some form of cancer. But maybe, just maybe she might actually reverse her age by one or two decades. She's already showing some of the signs anyways:
    • Having vivid dreams

But on a more positive note, this will bring about a revolution in gene therapy as she took a very unorthodox path to try this therapy, by going against the current conservative approach of 'Do no harm' 3 phase trial system. She flew to Colombia with a whole bunch of medical staff and researchers. Did the treatments and flew back

I have a feeling once we have a better understanding of culprit genes for MPB, some brave soul might follow in Liz's path and do the same thing. CAS9-CRISPER technology has certainly made it a lot easier!
    Well, we do have FGF11 who claims to have injected himself with an anti-AR oligonucleotide and regrew hair in an area that had been bald for a decade. Maybe he can be our Liz Parrish lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Desmond84 View Post

• Having vivid dreams

I guess we would need someone bald enough