+ Reply to Thread

film ARTAS 8X: Doing Their Best To Improve the Patient Experience

IAHRS accepted member Alan J. Bauman, MD speaks with Spencer Kobren about the latest advancements and software updates for the ARTAS robotic hair transplant system. One of the major advancements discussed is ARTAS’ recently perfected ability to effectively harvest grafts from more of the DHT resistant donor area without having to stop the procedure to reposition patients. This is a huge advancement, among others, that ultimately promises to significantly improve the overall patient experience when undergoing ARTAS assisted FUE hair transplantation.
    It's important to remember that not all ARTAS surgeons are created equal. Currently only a certain percentage of ARTAS owners have invested in the either the software upgrades or hardware upgrades developed to by the great engineering team at Restoration Robotics. These are key improvements in the robot 's ability to better assist in the surgical process. Always ask your surgeon if they have the latest upgrades.

this is great. I am working on a new video about 8.x, we will shoot it next week and should be available to everyone few days later.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Zingaretti, PhD View Post
    this is great. I am working on a new video about 8.x, we will shoot it next week and should be available to everyone few days later.
    Dr. Zingaretti, three questions:

1. What is the smallest punch the ARTAS works with?
    2. Is the 8X a software upgrade, or a physical upgrade to the machine itself?
    3. When do you anticipate the ARTAS being capable of both extraction and implantation?

I hope your company is doing well financially, because you deserve it - this is an amazing accomplishment in medical robotics, and I'm surprised it doesn't get more attention from the mainstream, as it has significant implications for the application of robotics to other procedures (yes, there is DaVinci and others, but none of them are semi-autonomous like ARTAS).

Hello...among friends my name is Gabe...no need for the Dr.

1) 0.9 currently, we are working on a 0.8-0.85 depending on what works best
    2) it is both hardware and software. This week I will be shooting a video with two of my team members, they will go over 8.x and all of its features
    3) I have to keep this confidential but we are routinely implanting hundreds of grafts with typical density in the forelock and midscalp area. There will be a version of ARTAS that will implant grafts soon enough

the act of robotically extracting grafts has been accomplished long time ago however we shelved the project for many reasons....probably a good topic of conversation for Mr. Spencer and I in the near future

ARTAS AI is head and shoulders above anything commercial out there. Yes Google, DaVinci and few other running things have been getting all the media attention but we have a robot that does hair transplant...how cool is that!!

follow me @ZingarettiGabe if you want to get a pulse on the R&D of Restoration Robotics

The possibility of a fully automated hair transplant, from extraction to implantation, is simply astonishing, and not just as a cosmetic procedure, but as an achievement in robotics as well. It doesn't take a fortune teller to see how this sort of technology could be applied to other procedures as well.

Congratulations on this - I hope you and your company are profiting from all your hard work, because you deserve it.