+ Reply to Thread

Default 6 months on propecia, scalp pain in crown dramatically reduced

hey there i've been losing my hair since i was 18, now 27 im a norwood 2 with thinning in the crown. i started propecia august 2009, i've cut the dosage to .25 mg and take it mon-wed-fri. i also use laser comb few times a week, and rogaine only on the front hair line where it's receeded, for over a year.

so far it's been a little over 6 months on propecia and i'm not sure what to think. but there's one thing that i know is better... i used to have scalp pain, sometimes followed by pimples, then followed by hair loss. i knew i was going to start losing my hair in my crown in feb '08 when i had scalp pain in the crown for the first time. it's thinned quite a bit since then, but you can't tell if i do a mini comb over... and now without a doubt propecia has stopped the scalp pain in the crown, the last time i had significant scalp pain there was in late january '10. compare that with sharp pains in the crown every few days before propecia...

so i'm happy about that but i can't tell if my hair loss has stopped in the crown. a few months ago i thought it was getting better, now i think it's thinned a bit more. i know it's a bit early, but i wanted to see if anybody else had a reduction in scalp pain with propecia, followed by hair growth?

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

Your case is very interesting. I have only had 1 patient that complained of scalp pain after taking Propecia. He stopped taking it competely. However, now I might recommend trying a lower dose and see if the pain returns. Please keep us posted.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Glenn Charles View Post
    Your case is very interesting. I have only had 1 patient that complained of scalp pain after taking Propecia. He stopped taking it competely. However, now I might recommend trying a lower dose and see if the pain returns. Please keep us posted.
    i've read quite a few people complaining about getting scalp pain after starting propecia... as for me, i had it wayyy before and i still get scalp pain in the front hair line today, and am 100% positive it's receded since i've been on propecia... but like i said the crown is much better. so far i've been googling it to see if other people have been in the same boat as me, and i've found a few... here are some quotes that give me some hope...

quest:
    "I had the same experience discussed here. Pain and itching followed by hairloss in the same area. Good news: Propecia STOPPED the problem. After 8 months on Propecia I have yet to have this problem. I REALLY wish that I had started earlier, but at least I'm on it now. My scalp may itch from time to time...but no more pain...and best of all, no more subsequent major hair loss."

baldrick:
    "My scalp was in PAIN, it felt like I had a massive bruise on the entire top of my head, and my hair was dry and looked like wire wool! After reading the boards for a few weeks I figured the best thing to do is start on Fin. I started ordering fincar from the site ____ and cut the pills into 1/4 and took them daily. I've been slightly inconsistant in taking them - ofen leaving it 2 - 8 weeks between orders, never really experienced any negative effects from this thoe. Within the first 2 weeks the pain stopped completly and my scalp looked healthier!"

from a blog;
    " I have all the common traits of MPB and get inflammation on my receding hairline and thinning crown. I’ve seen a slight decrease in inflammation on finasteride but had to quit finasteride due to side effects. Since then the inflammation has become worse and it itches throughout the day. My Doctors have no clue about inflammation caused by MPB and don’t have much of a clue about MPB either."

so at this point i'm pretty certain that i've lost more hair in the crown than at the start of treatment. i just got a hair cut and the crown looks thinner all around, and it's harder to hide.

however i did part the hair around the crown with my fingers and in between my fingers i found 6 little hairs around 1cm long, i actually had my sister count 'em lol. i hope these hairs are growing and not miniaturizing.