+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Could any of these things increase balding?

I have some questions some of you may think are dumb ones, but let me ask. 3 or 4 yrs ago i began to treat my mpb. My hair line was receeding and overall my hair was slightly thinner. I was 36 at the time.

1.I began minox on the back of my head.
    2. I began using nizarol almost every day
    3. I got on dut(was already on fin)
    4. Began using a ton of hairspray to keep my hair from showing all my thin spots
    5 .Began other topicals using ethanol as the vehicle
    6. Began getting much less sleep than normal

My hair is much worse off now compaired to how it was 4 years ago.
    Do any of you guys think that any of the things i was using or did could be a cause for my hair getting worse? Is overdoing it w the nizoral or tons of hairspray able to stun hair growth?
    Hell maybe its old age finally catching up with my hair, but in the back of my mind i cant help but think the overuse of these products is causing my hair to thin.
    Any suggertions guys??

Just wanted to add, i had a transplant surgeon tell me that using Niz every day is bad for hair. Anyone else heard this?

And as for the ethanol in the vehicles, i think that too has had a negative impact on my hair. Since i quit using ethanol it seems the loss has slowed a little

Using antifungals on a daily basis can significantly alter the scalp micro-environment. Don't forget you naturally have 'good' fungus and bacteria living synergistically with your body on your scalp. Killing them off on a daily basis can significantly alter your skin flora and create issues as you mentioned. So make sure you only use it 1 or 2 times a week as per label.

Lack of sleep may also be a culprit and if so your hair will go back to normal within a few months once you reset your circadian rhythm.

Whatever you do, do not stop Dut. That is the only thing that has kept your hair on your head until now.

Hope that helps Des

I wonder if he meant just nizoral or keto shampoo in general.

Thanks desmond, ive laid off the nizoral and am just using it maybe 2 times a week.

As for the dut, ive been on it for 2 years and noticed nothing but loss. Hell for the past 6 months i was taking it EVERYDAY and the hair kept falling out. I just cant justify taking it anymore.

Strange thing is i almost swear that i get more sexual sides w fin than i do w dut, even though dut is supposed to be stronger.

As for the sleeping pattern, unfortunatly thats going to be much harder to correct

Have you considered the quality of your dut? Many drugs bought through online pharmacy websites are often of poor quality and sometimes simply sugar pills unfortunately. If you are not getting dut direct from your doc i would recommend changing your source and see how it goes.

I wish that was the problem jman, but i am getting it from my doc. Its def avodart

Quote Originally Posted by champpy View Post
    I wish that was the problem jman, but i am getting it from my doc. Its def avodart
    How is it verifiable? Is there a serial number on each packet or something?

All those things could potentially exacerbate balding in susceptible people, but its much more likely they're just failing to prevent your natural balding than causing balding themselves.

Nizoral especially is a relatively harsh carrier of ketoconazole and was not designed for long term daily use, although its more likely to just reduce the quality of your hair than cause it to fall out. Same goes for ethanol and hairspray. It's much harder to damage a follicle than it is to damage hair.

There's a slim chance that 5a-reductase inhibitors can cause hairloss through hyperandrogenicity, where your body upregulates the expression of androgen receptors to compensate for reduced androgen levels. If you noticed an increase in hair loss when you started fin/dut then this might be the case although its just as likely to be a coincidence.

At the end of the day, its fairly common to be balding/bald at 40, around 40% of men are by that age. Even in people it works best in, fin/min/niz are not capable of indefinitely preventing hair loss, they simply reduce the rate. If you have whatever genetic make up that makes these treatments ineffective there's basically nothing you can do, you've already exhausted all the existing effective treatments.

It's better to shave your head and accept your good hair days are over than to look like a guy desperately holding on to his hair when its long gone. Some guys go bald at 20, so if I were you I'd accept you had a good run and embrace aging gracefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Demeter View Post

It's better to shave your head and accept your good hair days are over than to look like a guy desperately holding on to his hair when its long gone. Some guys go bald at 20, so if I were you I'd accept you had a good run and embrace aging gracefully.
    Men of all ages would want to prevent their hair loss.I wouldn't judge the older guys on here for trying to save their hair.