+ Reply to Thread

Default Inexplicable change in hair quality.

Hi all!
    Warning: Long story coming, would appreciate it if you read all of it.

Helllo, I am a 21 year old man, my hair was my favorite feature about myself, I got complimented on it a lot as it was thick and beautiful. In late 2013, I was prescribed isotretinoin(20mg) for my back acne, I stopped the medication due to side effects but I could notice my hair quality wasn’t as good. A couple months later, I shaved it all off. By march of 2014, it grew back pretty much normal but by april it got dry and frizzy as it got longer, I started noticing a slight recession in the corners of my hairline. In June, I shaved it to a one guard. As the following 3 months went by, my hairline receded further and further. By october 2014, I started using minoxidil, it thickened my hair and stopped the shedding but it was still dry and frizzy. What was weird is that it alternated between being frizzy and dull one day and decent the next. In february 2015, my hair texture got back to normal. The dermatologist told me to stop using minoxidil(I still don’t know why) which led me to lose all the hair I had regained in the following 2 months. In summer 2015, my hair got more frizzy and dry than ever which led to unpleasant comments from people asking me what happened to it. My scalp started hurting a lot as well, consequently I did a blood analysis, everything came back normal except a deficit in Vitamin D leading to me taking Vitamin supplements for 3 monthsMy hair quality improved somehow as a result and the inflammations was gone but I noticed that I had lost a lot of hair on the sides of my head which are immune to baldness to my knowledge. From January 2016 until now, my hair sides are very thin and the hair quality is deteriorating again. Despite the hair quality being unchanged in the sides and back of my head up until now of the previous year, it is getting affected too lately.

What is causing this fluctuating change in my hair quality? There seems to be no logical reason. Please help, it has affected my life a lot.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	btt2.jpg

Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	45171Click image for larger version

Name:	btt1.jpg

Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	45172Click image for larger version

Name:	btt3.jpg

Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	45173. First pic is in December 2015, second pic is from 2012, third pic was in May 2015.

I would try nizoral mixed with a antifungal shampoo 2x a week.
    Give it a month, if that does not help, then try adding after niziral and finish showering, some virgin coconut oil or similar.
    Wait about ½-1 hour with oil in hair, then wash hair quick with netrual shampoo and see what happens.

Thanks for your reply Falcon, appreciate it. The thing is i've tried all external remedies, it seems to me like the problem is internal, the hair texture changed completely, any idea on what might the reason be?

I agree, seems to be something internal, I just use antifungal a few times a week and nothing more. I have stopped using regularly coconut oil or conditioner,Since I saw no real change.

Honestly it would be purely speculation what the reason might be, maybe just live with it and get your hair cut more often to compensate for the new "stiffer" hair.

Bump.