+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Genetics

Default Genetics

Can someone explain genetics for mpb .
    what are the chances to go bald if you have good family history but dad is bald in late 40's, grandfather had full head of hair in his 60's also grandfather from mom side had nw3 in 60's ?

Idk how it works but everyone in my family has a full head of hair even my uncles in their 50s to 60s are only nw2 I just got screwed i guess...

u guess genetics work in a strange way

Inactive

Genetics can be a good indicator, but it is by no means a fool proof predictor of future hair loss. If MPB runs in your family, you have a greater chance of having MPB as well - but it doesn't mean you couldn't dodge a bullet and maintain a full head of hair. The same goes for the flip side of that - You could come from a family of very minimal hair loss, and for whatever reason be struck with the unlucky genes that cause you to lose your hair. So looking at family history is helpful and making a prediction, but it's not going to be 100% accurate.

It's also a myth that you hair loss can be predicted by only focusing on the hair loss levels on your mother's side of the family. Genetics are genetics, whether they're from your mother or your father.

The best indicator of future hair loss is to have the miniaturization levels of your hair tested. This will give you a much better idea of what could be in store for you than genetics alone.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My opinions/comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Quote Originally Posted by pkipling View Post
    Genetics can be a good indicator, but it is by no means a fool proof predictor of future hair loss. If MPB runs in your family, you have a greater chance of having MPB as well - but it doesn't mean you couldn't dodge a bullet and maintain a full head of hair. The same goes for the flip side of that - You could come from a family of very minimal hair loss, and for whatever reason be struck with the unlucky genes that cause you to lose your hair. So looking at family history is helpful and making a prediction, but it's not going to be 100% accurate.

It's also a myth that you hair loss can be predicted by only focusing on the hair loss levels on your mother's side of the family. Genetics are genetics, whether they're from your mother or your father.

The best indicator of future hair loss is to have the miniaturization levels of your hair tested. This will give you a much better idea of what could be in store for you than genetics alone.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My opinions/comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

is this thinning ?

http://postimg.org/image/jbyzzntff/

http://postimg.org/image/b7qvux70b/

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Markoni View Post
    Possibly. However, it would be more helpful if the image wasn't so close up so that we could get a better idea of the entire makeup of your hair/hairline.

Keep in mind that even a perfectly intact head of hair with no MPB is thinner along the hairline. That's something to be aware of. However, when that thinning starts spreading out and moving further back is when you need to address it.

Take some more photos if you'd like that will give a better idea of the big picture of what your hair looks like. Pictures like the ones in my profile picture would be great so that we get to see the full hairline and still conceal your identity.

Quote Originally Posted by pkipling View Post
    Possibly. However, it would be more helpful if the image wasn't so close up so that we could get a better idea of the entire makeup of your hair/hairline.

Keep in mind that even a perfectly intact head of hair with no MPB is thinner along the hairline. That's something to be aware of. However, when that thinning starts spreading out and moving further back is when you need to address it.

Take some more photos if you'd like that will give a better idea of the big picture of what your hair looks like. Pictures like the ones in my profile picture would be great so that we get to see the full hairline and still conceal your identity.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My opinions/comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr.

Mohebi and his staff.

here are the pics from a litlle further , i hope u can see them better now , and also as u can see on pic i have some asymetry , i am 20 years old , i would say im 1.5nw , what do u think , thank you

http://postimg.org/image/5ejutwavl/

http://postimg.org/image/7ulo7qsy9/

No thinning from the pics above. That I can see anyway.

Inactive

Honestly, it looks pretty solid to me as well.

Personally, I don't think this is something that warrants any stress on your part at the moment. However, if you do want to play it safe and monitor it every 6 months or so, I don't see the harm in that. The important thing is to not let this develop into a complex, especially with good family history and no obvious signs of anything happening at this point. When we start over analyzing things, we start seeing things that aren't there - and that's how we can spiral out of control and start seeing an issue that isn't based in reality.